Can't get my mirrors tight

mellow

I got so tired of my mirrors coming out of adjustment on the highway. I switched to some bar-end mirrors by CRG with a Rottweiler mount. I found a set used for a good price (about half of what they are new). There is a knock-off version on fleabay that does not have the quick rotate mechanism, but the price is right ($20-40). 

They easily fold out of the way when parking/filtering, they hold their position, and they let me see a lot more than just my arms/shoulders. As an added bonus, I get much cleaner air around the windscreen. The stock mirrors created a lot of turbulence.

KTdu-Hf2H4geg6rVo08mt4jSrg2ngg7gjNSTlNYs

• Thumbsup 1

I got so tired of my mirrors coming out of adjustment on the highway. I switched to some bar-end mirrors by CRG with a Rottweiler mount. I found a set used for a good price (about half of what they are new). There is a knock-off version on fleabay that does not have the quick rotate mechanism, but the price is right ($20-40). 

They easily fold out of the way when parking/filtering, they hold their position, and they let me see a lot more than just my arms/shoulders. As an added bonus, I get much cleaner air around the windscreen. The stock mirrors created a lot of turbulence.

• Thumbsup 1

On 6/28/2019 at 12:08 AM, Coop said:

LOL!!  I have my mirrors stems tight and they won't move, except......now the mirrors them selves are moving.  Riding a calm 70 mph with a little head wind they are soon pointed at my chest.  It has been  that kind of week.  LOL!   Will Rizoma mirrors stay adjusted?

My clutch side mirror started dropping yesterday, just the mirror housing the stem is tight and doesn't move, it was vibration from bumps dropping the mirror and housing downwards, at the ball joint, so all I could see was my boot and gear shifter :-{

So the fix is:

Under the rubber boot, at the base of the stem, is a lock nut, loosen the locknut and rotate the stem anticlockwise, i.e. towards the front of the bike, about 30 - 45 degrees.  Tighten up the locknet.  Then you have to rotate the mirror down to get a good rear view.  This tightened the ball joint and my mirror now stays put :-)

Edited by Cornersruns
  • Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, Cornersruns said:

My clutch side mirror started dropping yesterday, just the mirror housing the stem is tight and doesn't move, it was vibration from bumps dropping the mirror and housing downwards, at the ball joint, so all I could see was my boot and gear shifter :-{

So the fix is:

Under the rubber boot, at the base of the stem, is a lock nut, loosen the locknut and rotate the stem anticlockwise, i.e. towards the front of the bike, about 30 - 45 degrees.  Tighten up the locknet.  Then you have to rotate the mirror down to get a good rear view.  This tightened the ball joint and my mirror now stays put :-)

Yes, my Rizoma mirrors are adjusted and do not move.  Money well spent.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 7:14 AM, draco_1967 said:

At first I thought that shadow was a fishing rod strapped to your seat 😉

• Thumbsup 1

Funny, thought I just had one of the only loose right hand mirrors. Just bought this yesterday and on the way home, the mirror swung around, likely from the 82 mph passing a big 18 wheeler on the way home... Will try some of the advice from here.

Swapped out my previous FJR1300 for this nice ride. What a difference in handling and high end torque. Wow. 

• Thumbsup 2

FWIW guys, I tried all of the fixes here, including a move to expensive Rizoma mirrors in the stock holes.  Nothing worked for long, until I used the drill pin/spring pin method mentioned a few pages back.  100% effective, and no hint of movement since.  Rock on

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Anyone know if this knuckle joint (photo) can be tightened? My RH side is a pretty sloppy fit, and I need to adjust every time I ride over a nasty rail crossing or such. The socket piece has some movement, but only about 1/8 turn at best (with dead stop resistance), and doesn't seem to make any difference. Will buy new mirror(s) if needed, but if there is another way...

20201024_170706.thumb.jpg.3a0c8fadd319b31cd2f4bac4228426d9.jpg

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

2 hours ago, piotrek said:

Anyone know if this knuckle joint (photo) can be tightened? My RH side is a pretty sloppy fit, and I need to adjust every time I ride over a nasty rail crossing or such. The socket piece has some movement, but only about 1/8 turn at best (with dead stop resistance), and doesn't seem to make any difference. Will buy new mirror(s) if needed, but if there is another way...

See my post above about tightening this joint.

• Supporting Member
On 10/25/2020 at 4:08 PM, Cornersruns said:

See my post above about tightening this joint.

@Cornersruns... this did not do the trick. It's a rod with a threaded end. The jam nut secures it against the lower assembly (extension in my case). Appears that the joint is a factory fit. Am I completely missing something here?

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

9 hours ago, piotrek said:

@Cornersruns... this did not do the trick. It's a rod with a threaded end. The jam nut secures it against the lower assembly (extension in my case). Appears that the joint is a factory fit. Am I completely missing something here?

Did you try rotating the rod in both directions.  Yours is on the brake side? Sorry can't help further.  That's what worked on mine, only the clutch side mirror worked loose.  After this ball joint has been perfect.

On 10/25/2020 at 6:23 PM, piotrek said:

I was able to rotate the mirror itself 360 degrees clockwise around that joint and that seems to have tightened it up

Edited by smeller

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 12:23 PM, piotrek said:

I tightened my knuckle joint with a sharp rap with an awl and small hammer.....tightened up the joint noticeably, is barely visible, and works.  I touched up the strike with a black Sharpie.

301D7B20-2071-4E01-8B17-D3B243432048.jpeg

0E117C73-E114-42C9-BB7C-367ADE8E920B.jpeg

F68FBBA0-93E6-4F8A-AD33-E523EC1C69C9.jpeg