dropped my bike!

joe72t

2019 Tracer 900 GT with not even 500kms on it.  Literally just dropped it on the left hand side.  Nothing was seriously damaged except my pride.  I need some touch up paint for the crankcase cover.  Can anyone help me source this?  Dealer said they don't have any or even the paint code.  I am near Toronto, Canada.

Many thanks in advance,

Joe

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 1

• Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your incident but be assured it happens to all of us at one time. Think about getting case cover for next time.

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Dropped mine in a muddy rutted driveway visiting a friend... tweaked my ankle as my foot ended up under the saddlebag... geesh, didn't give me any notice.. just flop!.. lol.. still feel the ankle now and then but I'm old... this was the last week in December...

Lol dropped mine 2nd week of owning.  Parking,  Made a U turn to face bike outward. Brand new brakes had WAY more bite than I was used to.  Handlebars were barely turned,  and I was still in a slight lean.   I barely touched the front brake and my bike flew straight down on the right side. 

Then I picked up the bike.  The bike rolled slightly,  the kickstand folded and off it went on the left side.  So now I got a scar on the right saddlebag,  and a small scuff on the left engine case. 

😁

Gonna just skin the saddlebags,  got some cool designs in mind. But I would love touch up paint for the case cover too. 

I think I remember in a post a while back the actual case cover and gasket weren't that much. Like 110.00 to 130.00. Don't quote me on those prices. You'd have to look it up. It wasn't too bad as I remember.

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Thanks for your input all.  Yes not so costly for the case cover and gasket ($170 cdn)  I guess I will get to this at some point but would still like to touch up the scuff in the meantime.  If anyone finds the paint code or nearest match that would be great.  Be safe out there.

Joe

I added roll-over bars to mine, but it didn't help when it fell over in the garage and dinged the tank. After seeing a friend crack his engine cases in a minor low-side slide and destroying the motor, I added crash bars. In his case the bike was a right-off due to the cost of new engine crankcases. The Ebay crash bars are just over $100 and look good on the bike in black.

Sorry to hear about your incident.  I also asked about touch up paint for the engine covers and had no luck finding anything. Mine isn't damaged only slightly scratched, so I will just live with it.  The only thing that I don't like about the full-sized covers that bolt-on over top of the engine cases is that over time the paint gets really marred and messed up from the vibration - you'll never be able to remove them for resale etc. Likely not a big deal for most, but it would bother me.

There are some that just protect the underside of the engine cases (I think SW Motech makes some like this) which I would go with if I was adding some.

The one challenge with sliders or anything that bolts to part of the frame or engine mounts is that in a slide, they can snap off and depending on the mount point can render the frame a write-off. This happened to me with my ZX-14.

The full covers would be better in the above case.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

If you are considering sliders just as a cosmetic 'cover' rather than 'proper' protection then perhaps these cheap eBay covers might do the trick?

s-l1000.jpg
WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

2016-2017 Yamaha XSR900. 2015-2017 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer. 2014-2018 Yamaha MT-09/FZ-09. 2015-2018 Yamaha FJ-09. Quantity: 1 pair.

• Thumbsup 1

Sorry to hear it. It always sucks. I would suggest the same as bowlin01. A motor slider would cover and protect at the same time and be replaceable. They are less intrusive then bars or a cage. But I would go with a brand name, that way the plastic inserts can be ordered later and can be found easily.

5 hours ago, bowlin01 said: