Fuel tank sticker

louie

• Premium Member
Matte black is soooo trendy now, ya know.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Use a hairdryer at medium heat (DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN!!!). To clean up residue use Rosonol Lighter Fuel... works great, super fast and wont hurt paint.

No heat gun?  Really?  Why not? 
As I recall I hit the sticker with my heat gun to the point where it started to get almost hot to the touch and then some rubbing alcohol and it peeled right off, neat and easy.  It only took a couple of minutes.  Nothing at all like pulling the damn stickers off of the SV650S.  I dunno what adhesive Suzuki used but that was a bitch.

It was so easy to get the FJ's sticker off that it doesn't surprise me that everyone's favorite technique worked fine.

Heck, if it's true that it peels off fine just by holding a sponge on it for a couple of minutes then the adhesive must be water soluble, which is not what I would have expected.  Almost as if Yamaha figures we all want to get rid of it.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
This subject pops up on every Bike forum that I own.  
Next time you wash the bike, do the following. Heck, I do it in my garage.

Just hold a sponge under hot water, not so hot that it burns you, just hot enough. Dont wring it out, and then put it on the sticker and hold it down with your hand for 3 minutes, and then easily peel the sticker right off.

You dont need lighter fluid.

You dont need a hair dryer.

You dont need a scraper.

You dont need to light it on fire or burn it off.

You don't need to use any chemicals that could phuck up your paint.

Just next time you wash your bike, hot water sponge and hold it down on the sticker for three minutes and then peel the damn thing off.
by far the easiest....if you wash your bike :) 

• Premium Member
The FJ sticker wasn't bad at all to remove.  When I had the FZ-07, that sticker was a beast.  I have heard that using a heat gun to remove the sticker can bubble the paint if you get it too hot.  Like I said... the FJ sticker was a breeze.  Light heat with the hairdryer and it came right off.  Used the lighter fluid to remove any let over adhesive... came right off super clean!

Mike

I said it before....the sticker just peels off! Naturally, if you blow a hair dryer or heat gun or lighter fluid or rocket fuel or WTF you use and it comes off you're going to think it was because of that! But it PEELS RIGHT OFF without anything! If there is a little residue left just use the sticky part of the sticker itself to dab it off. This is the craziest thread on the forum!!! Ha....

Archived