Drilled exhaust mod

DeepSix

EDIT- Proceed with caution. After drilling my exhaust (Read below) the bike sounded much better and ran great on the couple of short test rides I did. HOWEVER, when I actually got it out for a real ride today, it felt like it was missing something. I turned off the TCS and it will no longer do a wheelie in 2nd gear A mode. This MOD appears to have killed the torque. It still rips through the revs like normal but has just lost a lot of grunt. I'm going to weld up the holes and see if I can confirm this is what's going on.

As as much as I have started to love my 2015 FJ09, I really dislike the exhaust note. It had to change and I’m willing to drop $500-600 on a pipe for it... that said, I REALLY don’t want to spend anything more than I already have. 

So, after watching some videos on the subject, I decided to drill my exhaust with 3/8 inch holes at the rear of the muffler portion. I ended up with 7 total. Worst case scenario is it sounds like a spoon in a garbage disposal and I order a new pipe. Best case, it sounds even passable and I save $600. 

Im very pleased with the results and I would do this mod again in a heart beat. I drilled the holes one at a time, started it, listened for a difference and decided to continue or stop. After the first four holes I test road and also after 6  my bike is reflashed for a better breathing setup that never got deliveries so it runs better now and sounds pretty bad ass for a zero $ mod .

The only thing I’d do differently is be more careful about hole placement  the top 2 holes are visible with the guard on  

82CC09A6-3C8C-4E07-801E-08AA67EBA6B6.jpeg

Edited by DeepSix
  • Thumbsup 1