Mobil 1 Oil Filter for FJ-09

dundee

Mobil 1 has a motorcycle specific oil filter for many Yamaha models, it is part number M1MC-134.  This is a motorcycle specific filter made by Champ Labs and sold as a Mobil 1 filter.  It has correct M20 x 1.5 threads (confirmed with Steve at Champ Labs) and is specified in their catalog for the FJ-09 / FZ-09 models.  These filters are on sale now at Pep Boys online in the US for $7.84 each, which is about half of what the dealers charge for the OEM filter.  I bought a couple and they look very well made, with a lot of media, straight pleats and solid construction.  The Mobil 1 filters are a couple millimeters longer than the OEM Yamaha 5GH-13440-50-00 or 5GH-13440-60-00 filters but that does not create any fitment issue at all as there is still a lot of clearance for getting a cap wrench on the filter.   The base plate on the Mobil 1 filter is very stout and it is correctly made as concave just as the OEM filter so it does not contact the base on the engine.  

Mobil1-1.JPG

Mobil1-2.JPG

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I am new member.  Not sure  how to post    new topic so I will ask my question here.  Just bought a 2020 tracer 900gt.  Have always used mobil 1 oil and filters.  I have seen the m-110 and then  m1mc-134 filters for the tracer. Can anybody help with this?  Thanks, Mike

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Now maybe I didn't tighten it quite enough (though that was about 4k miles ago) but IMO the Mobil 1 oil filter i have on my 15 FJ unscrewed due to vibration and leaked maybe 2 ounces of oil before I stopped after it blew back and covered my left boot and peg. Now I've been hand tighting oil filters for 50 years and never before had one loosen on its own.  Yesterday when this occurred half way back on my return leg of a 230+ mile ride, I was a happy little idiot because my sciatica for once had permitted me to ride with a fair amount of aggression in the twisties. This meant I was holding higher revs in lower gears, bouncing off of near redline routinely, and letting the 16 XSR900 slip/assist clutch do it's thing. I was riding hard and fast enough to fool the TC so I lofted the front tire slightly on exits and slid the rear, even got crossed up once. It was a gorgeous day with no traffic and I was following and staying close to my buddy the B level road racer on his BMW S100XR ( also fastest Red).

Now I do NOT find the vibration on my FJ at all objectionable and keep it very well maintained but I think that is what loosened the filter introduction with the filter's O-ring sacking out due heat and compression.

So check your Mobil 1 filter's tightness.  I bought 3, so I may lock a hose clamp o them and safety wire it!!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
42 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I was a happy little idiot because my sciatica for once had permitted me to ride with a fair amount of aggression in the twisties. This meant I was holding higher revs in lower gears, bouncing off of near redline routinely, and letting the 16 XSR900 slip/assist clutch do it's thing. I was riding hard and fast enough to fool the TC so I lofted the front tire slightly on exits and slid the rear, even got crossed up once. It was a gorgeous day with no traffic and I was following and staying close to my buddy the B level road racer on his BMW S100XR ( also fastest Red).

That paragraph made me smile. 😎  It sounds like you were riding her hard as she was designed to be ridden.  Anytime health ailments ease enough to get out and enjoy yourself, is a great day! 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, betoney said:

That paragraph made me smile. 😎  It sounds like you were riding her hard as she was designed to be ridden.  Anytime health ailments ease enough to get out and enjoy yourself, is a great day! 

One thing I didn't say was my buddy on the XR was probably daydreaming or thinking about things he had to do cuz he's busier than I am and probably almost surely not trying to stay that far ahead of me.  he did comment that I was riding better yesterday.

Normally I'm slow in his opinion but he tolerates me because I'm quirky AND a Hands-On Renaissance engineer rather than good old home shop do it aller like he is, so he does  ask me for advice often enough to make me feel  Worthy. We've come to an agreement not to discuss Trump though yesterday he said he's concerned about Armageddon if my candidate won, I said the same thing if trump won, so we over the years of we've agreed to disagree.

Thanks for the knowledge that I made somebody else smile because these days it it gets harder and harder

The vtr1000f is not mine but was made within 300 units of mine and is the other guy riding with me and the guy on the XR. The reason the guy with the VTR was riding with me is cuz he came over before we rode and I worked on it again. I've been putting it back together for him, still don't have the carb dialed in but now I've got to rebuild his petcock first remember petcocks) the second time because he wrecked it twice. Each time I had to go recover his bike, so it's kind of a one-sided relationship but I'm a sucker for vtr's

We were getting a scoop of ice cream in Palmyra which is a wonderful little town with a lake and a 25 mile an hour speed limit but to gas stations that sell E-0 91 octane.

Masks are only required if you go inside somewhere. As to be expected there were droves of Harleys in groups of up to 40 yeah there's a lot of social distancing there. But I'm from Illinois and Wisconsin's got a lot of trump Pence signs out on the back roads.

It's also weird I'm just trying to get in as many rides as I can before I finally have to have the back surgery before winter...

0_20200829_162947001.jpg

0_20200829_162935001.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

It's also weird I'm just trying to get in as many rides as I can before I finally have to have the back surgery before winter...

Looks like you has some beautiful weather for riding.  As a current post-surgery gimp, I agree with you, ride as much as you can prior to surgery as you don't know how long recovery will take. 👍

• Premium Member

I figure the winter will be long enough for me to get back in shape for the spring, it's whether or not I have another job done on my neck. Then there's my right shoulder and elbow and my thumbs. They can't do anything about the arthritis in my clutch index finger but my thumbs have become an issue when I'm riding hard LOL! Believe it or not I may remove my grip puppies because that little bit smaller diameter may be easier on my thumbs.

How is your recovery how many months later? And what did they do?

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I figure the winter will be long enough for me to get back in shape for the spring, it's whether or not I have another job done on my neck. Then there's my right shoulder and elbow and my thumbs. They can't do anything about the arthritis in my clutch index finger but my thumbs have become an issue when I'm riding hard LOL! Believe it or not I may remove my grip puppies because that little bit smaller diameter may be easier on my thumbs.

How is your recovery how many months later? And what did they do?

PM Sent.