New member hello 1000 Islands, Ontario, Canada

tomfromon

Hi everyone, Tom here from Ontario, Canada.  I've had several bikes from my first Yamaha Seca 400 to 2 FJ1200's, currently own a Ducati Multistrada 1200 which I'm seriously considering trading for the new FJ-09 for several reasons.  Dealer network, cost of ownership and lack of confidence with quality control to name a few.  Can't wait to check out the FJ in person, great forum!

Cheers

• Premium Member
Hi everyone, Tom here from Ontario, Canada.  I've had several bikes from my first Yamaha Seca 400 to 2 FJ1200's, currently own a Ducati Multistrada 1200 which I'm seriously considering trading for the new FJ-09 for several reasons.  Dealer network, cost of ownership and lack of confidence with quality control to name a few.  Can't wait to check out the FJ in person, great forum! 
Cheers
Hi Tom,I have considered the MTS1200 as a possible next bike but never pulled the trigger for the reasons you mentioned. Just curious as to what your experience was regarding cost of ownership and QC. Can you elaborate? I'm about 95% certain the FJ-09 is my next bike.

Hi Hawkeye, sorry for the delayed response. Usually I do my homework with bikes but with the Multistrada I just lost my mind, it was a pure visceral-lustful reaction without thinking of the insurance costs (high), cost of ownership from farkles to future maintenance, etc and of course the resale value. Long story short it's not for me as a long term bike and the longer I wait the worst pill I need to swallow. To keep it long term I would pay for the longest extended warranty I could buy and spend a stupid amount of dough on mods I'll never get back however it's the type of bike that once you finish a ride spirited or not you just forget about everything negative or practical I just said if that makes any sense. I'm sure I will have regretful days but right now it doesn't make any more sense for me; down the road who knows? That's my take. Cheers and good luck.

P.S. I just (today) put a deposit on a brand new FJ, just waiting for them to arrive to pick a color!

• Premium Member
Hi Hawkeye, sorry for the delayed response. Usually I do my homework with bikes but with the Multistrada I just lost my mind, it was a pure visceral-lustful reaction without thinking of the insurance costs (high), cost of ownership from farkles to future maintenance, etc and of course the resale value. Long story short it's not for me as a long term bike and the longer I wait the worst pill I need to swallow. To keep it long term I would pay for the longest extended warranty I could buy and spend a stupid amount of dough on mods I'll never get back however it's the type of bike that once you finish a ride spirited or not you just forget about everything negative or practical I just said if that makes any sense. I'm sure I will have regretful days but right now it doesn't make any more sense for me; down the road who knows? That's my take. Cheers and good luck. 
P.S. I just (today) put a deposit on a brand new FJ, just waiting for them to arrive to pick a color!
Thanks for the candid response. Sounds like many of the concerns I had for purchasing the MTS1200 were valid, which is why I never dared test ride one...I knew I'd be sucked right in, logic and responsibility be damned!  
Best of luck with the new FJ! 

• Premium Member
Glad to be here guru; I'm dealing with Powersports Canada Ducati/Honda/Yamaha in Ottawa which have been very fair to deal with so far however I live southeast about an hour ish in a small town (Gananoque). 
Cheers,

Tom

Read more: http://fj-09.org/posts/recent#ixzz3Lbhs7yoT
Wow, Gan !  That's close. I live in Delta, I'd say 20 minutes from you. I bought my bike (a 2015 FZ-07) at Performance Shed in Harrowsmith. 

Glad to be here guru; I'm dealing with Powersports Canada Ducati/Honda/Yamaha in Ottawa which have been very fair to deal with so far however I live southeast about an hour ish in a small town (Gananoque). 
Cheers,

Tom

Read more: http://fj-09.org/posts/recent#ixzz3Lbhs7yoT
Wow, Gan !  That's close. I live in Delta, I'd say 20 minutes from you. I bought my bike (a 2015 FZ-07) at Performance Shed in Harrowsmith. 
Holy that is close!  Finally someone that lives in my area to share with and most likely ride with too!  I did pursue PShed however they weren't in a position to take my trade-in at this time which is totally understandable however a deal breaker for me so went elsewhere.  I sat on FZ-07 in the showroom, very cool bike.  

• Premium Member
You probably sat on a red one then, haha. I wanted a white one and Yogi was happy to sell me one. (see pic, it's Yogi btw, hair like that would prove to be a challenge for me)
Yes, they are a small mom'n'pop business and I can understand that they would have some trouble working out a deal trading in a Duc.

Excellent choice btw to go for a FJ09. From what I hear and see, it's a beautiful machine with a sweet, sweet engine. I have lots of Yamaha products and you are going to love the ease of ownership. You really can't go wrong with it.

I'm usually a bit of a loner when it comes to riding but we should ride together sometime for sure. It will be fun. First we will have to tackle winter.

IMG_0886.jpg

Yogi!  Haha great pic, he's a great guy to deal with just too bad I couldn't do the deal like I wanted.  Yeah I sat on the red FZ 07  I've had a few Yamaha products myself; an '81 SECA 400 (first bike), an '84 FJ1100 & a '91 FJ1200; looking forward to going back to the dark side...

You probably sat on a red one then, haha. I wanted a white one and Yogi was happy to sell me one. (see pic, it's Yogi btw, hair like that would prove to be a challenge for me) Yes, they are a small mom'n'pop business and I can understand that they would have some trouble working out a deal trading in a Duc.

Excellent choice btw to go for a FJ09. From what I hear and see, it's a beautiful machine with a sweet, sweet engine. I have lots of Yamaha products and you are going to love the ease of ownership. You really can't go wrong with it.

I'm usually a bit of a loner when it comes to riding but we should ride together sometime for sure. It will be fun. First we will have to tackle winter.

IMG_0886.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Tom, congrats on Fj-09 are you selling your Multi or trading in just wandering what you got out of it and milage codition it was in, I'm probably putting mine on the market and KBB is $ 10-13k hope to get enough residual $ to cover next bike. Still looking towards ride on Fj-09 to make sure it's the one but I'm sure to miss the grunt and awesome pull from down low the Duc produces when driving out of Apexes. Enjoy your new ride, sorry to hear you've hot to wait for spring. Not to rub it in but I wrung the Ducs neck Monday and it's gonna be hard to walk away from when it's gone.

Archived