• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sat Nav mount sorted

quetech

The dash does not generate any significant amount of heat so no worries there, and when I’m running the bike it will also have the additional wind cooling.

I thought about grounding directly to battery negative but when I tried it, it had no effect, maybe be better once I upgrade it to copper shielding.

On 5/5/2019 at 5:31 PM, quetech said:

Well after my first ltrip  with the sat nav mounted above the display I have discovered a problem.

The tracer display is interfering with the sat nav and causing it to lose the signal.

I had the same problem with my Garmin Oregon gps mounted in RAM holder on handlebars, left of the center. The gps was at about the same level as tft display. Either no or very low gps signal. I ended up mounting the ram holder just above the right hand side handlebars clamp. Full gps signal now.

4 hours ago, quetech said:

I thought about grounding directly to battery negative but when I tried it, it had no effect, maybe be better once I upgrade it to copper shielding.

I have no clue exactly how you’re doing this, and it really isn’t important for me to know, but maybe you’re picking up a ground connection from somewhere that the tape touches metal. Regardless, it doesn’t really matter as long as it fixes your problem, and I think it’s cool that you came up with a working solution. Nicely done. 

• Thumbsup 1
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

• 1 year later...
On 4/28/2019 at 8:50 AM, quetech said:

It did take quite a few hours by the time  I measured things up and fabricated the bracket with repeated trial fitting.

I also bought a new plastic screen bracket part 4 in the attached link in case it did not work and had to revert back to original setup, this had to be cut to allow the sat nav to sit neatly above the main display without sticking out.

If anybody is needing more info feel free to get in touch

The plastic screen bracket is a ridiculous price for what it is but what can you do.

As I can not fabricate in steel (and have someone else to ask for help), I have a few questions…

Do you happen to have a drawing of the custom bracket? (with the dimensions & positions of the holes)

Is the bracket completely flat? Or is it bent somewhere at a certain angle? If so, can you show a pic?

Is there a reason why the GPS is not in the same plane as the dash (it’s slightly more vertical) Esthetics? Viewing angle? Or would the GPS be touching the windscreen otherwise?

....The price of the plastic screen bracket:  OMG

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2019 at 2:31 PM, quetech said:

Well after my first ltrip  with the sat nav mounted above the display I have discovered a problem.

The tracer display is interfering with the sat nav and causing it to lose the signal.

I have been experimenting with some aluminium foil shielding and raised the gps a bit with some promising results.

I noticed that even with the satnav on the handlebars it is still affected by the tracer display but not to the same degree.

I have a Garmin 346, not sure if other units would be affected the same way.

I have noticed the exact same issue with my Zumo 396 and the TFT display of the GT. The only option i've found that works is a ram ball in front of the clutch area as opposed to where I originally had it and wanted it - dead centre of the bars. I'll have to try some different tapes as you suggested and get it up and over top of the display. That would be a great spot for it. Like you, i've never encountered an issue like this with any other bike. 

On 4/27/2019 at 10:36 PM, quetech said:

Fabricated a new stainless steel bracket to replace the screen mounting bracket and modified plastic screen mounting .

Hi,

bringing up this post again as I'm interested in the matter too and would love getting some drawings so that I can have a craftsman cut the steel.

Any chance?

I'm using a bracket that fits on top of the screen adjustment assembly for my TomTom with no interference at all (I'm guessing that either the TomTom is less susceptible to the issue or the distance between the tft and the SatNav is sufficent that the issue doesn't occur.

Just in case you want a 'no fabrication' solution.

Cheers

Steve

IMG_8746.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2020 at 3:15 PM, quetech said:

There is a link to photos at the start of this thread showing the screening I did, there is a lot of aluminium and copper tape there which I connected directly back to the battery negative.

Hey quetech - you had previously said grounding it didn't show any difference. Have you since added a ground connection with the copper tape? I'll be doing the same mod over the long cold winter up here. Cheers!

7 hours ago, smurph said:

Hey quetech - you had previously said grounding it didn't show any difference. Have you since added a ground connection with the copper tape? I'll be doing the same mod over the long cold winter up here. Cheers!

Read this thread with interest, was initially pulling what little hair I have left out at my GPS (older sumo) not picking up satellites.

I ended up just going with the higher-from-the-display solution which is better on my bad neck anyways...

Have connected a lot of shielding in my former life working on GA planes. Connecting to any good ground is usually sufficient. The trick is to only connect at one position to avoiding inducing a ground loop. 

• Thumbsup 1

4 minutes ago, thewrenchbender said:

Read this thread with interest, was initially pulling what little hair I have left out at my GPS (older sumo) not picking up satellites.

I ended up just going with the higher-from-the-display solution which is better on my bad neck anyways...

Have connected a lot of shielding in my former life working on GA planes. Connecting to any good ground is usually sufficient. The trick is to only connect at one position to avoiding inducing a ground loop. 

That’s another good placement option. Thanks for the tips, WB. Currently it’s mounted just to the right of left mirror and it’s bugging me.  

When I first started trying the screening I did try earthing the foil but did not notice much difference, however once I had completed the screening I ran a new earth wire directly back to the battery with a good connection to my copper screening, I felt it did give me an improvement and certainly was not detrimental. I also thought  that it would be good practice given the advice I was given on the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

quetech,Completely agree with you about the size of the clock/dash,it is the sole reason i bought the standard tracer,also have a mt10 and wanted the sp but it is the same clocks as your gt,i could not read most of it,the dash on my mt10 is the same size but all the numbers/letters go right to the edges so are bigger and i can see them perfectly,can't understand why it's that size but the display is only in the middle bit.