I'm gonna say it

Half the vehicles I pass are already anonymous, driven by absent pilots looking at phones and info screens!

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

On 5/4/2019 at 9:50 AM, chitown said:

Please don't lump Harleys in with trikes unless they're Harley trikes of course. Like dogs there are no bad motorcycles only bad owners. Not that I like Harleys all the much for riding. Do lust after something like a Lawmill XR. Other than that I tell Harley owners "nice paint" cause you know, if you don't have something good to say...  

A motorcycle with a sidecar is a motorcycle. Trikes aren't. 

Trikes will never be motorcycles to me. They go against all that is right with the universe. Like veggie bacon. 

98% of the three wheeled vehicles I see out on the roads roads are Harleys. 

I saw a Niken at the Moto GP race. Not a very good looking thing that struck me as being overly complex for the sake of being overly complex. 

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, nicksta43 said:

I saw a Niken at the Moto GP race. Not a very good looking thing that struck me as being overly complex for the sake of being overly complex. 

Overly complex or impressively engineered?  

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Definitely impressively engineered. Still an overly complex answer to a question nobody but some loony locked up in mother Yamaha's basement was asking. It's cool they built the thing and are actually trying to sell it. I hope they sell as many as they need to. 

If something ever happens to my FJ though I'm going back to something much simpler. Probably another Sportster.

On 5/5/2019 at 2:09 PM, nicksta43 said:

Definitely impressively engineered. Still an overly complex answer to a question nobody but some loony locked up in mother Yamaha's basement was asking. It's cool they built the thing and are actually trying to sell it. I hope they sell as many as they need to. 

If something ever happens to my FJ though I'm going back to something much simpler. Probably another Sportster.

Agreed. I thought the same thing, no one asked them to build this.... or did they?

Anyway, I had the pleasure of riding a Niken last week. A really comfortable, smooth motorcycle. No it doesn’t feel like an anxious teenager that needs to be unleashed - like our bikes do. But an impressive machine. 

Wind protection is great, steering and cornering VERY smooth, acceleration is still snappy in A mode (drive modes are now called 1, 2, and 3 for whatever reason).

The Niken is a really nice bike. People need to just get over the looks of it, shut up and throw a leg over for a ride. Very impressed. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2019 at 4:37 PM, nicksta43 said:

As I was riding home from work tonight I passed a Harley with big ape hangers and he was going so slow that it looked like the wind was pushing him backwards. Seriously I can't imagine how people can ride down the highway going so slow........but anyway there was also a Harley trike coming down the southbound side. Needless to say I threw up in my mouth.

Edited by Guest

43 minutes ago, chesterburnet said:

As I was riding home from work tonight I passed a Harley with big ape hangers and he was going so slow that it looked like the wind was pushing him backwards. Seriously I can't imagine how people can ride down the highway going so slow.........

I see heaps of these around here.   Frankly, they must compromise the controllability of the bike, and I'm surprised that the pleece don't take good long hard looks at some of 'em.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

On 4/28/2019 at 10:18 AM, chesterburnet said:

Seeing that picture of the niken.......that thing is an abomination. They should stop throwing 3 wheeled things in the motorcycle category ....trikes, Can Am, Slingshot, Nikken........hell, they even dumped 3 wheeled ATV's in favor of 4. Third wheel in relationships is a derogatory term, it should also be in motorcycles. I might be a tad over critical ...

Umm...how old are you???  When your age gets into the 60s and 70s, you'll be looking at a three-wheeled bike with a different viewpoint, unless you gave up riding earlier.  ;)

Around here in the Seattle area, Can-Ams are great for commuters on the ferry.  They can ride in any kind of weather, and even in snow.  For a ferry commuter, they get discounted tickets and board/unboard first.

Chris

2 hours ago, daboo said:

Umm...how old are you???  When your age gets into the 60s and 70s, you'll be looking at a three-wheeled bike with a different viewpoint, unless you gave up riding earlier.  ;)

Around here in the Seattle area, Can-Ams are great for commuters on the ferry.  They can ride in any kind of weather, and even in snow.  For a ferry commuter, they get discounted tickets and board/unboard first.

Chris

I'm going to be 63 in July. I've got a bad knee from a motorcycle accident and arthritis. I'm old and handicapped and I ain't remotely close to giving up 2 wheels. Seriously, all those 3 wheelers are slugs. Anyone that wants to give up their Yamaha triple for one.....be my guest. I had an XSR900 and now an FJ 09 with K-tech front and rear. I would like 3 wheels better why?

I have to admit that this thread is pretty funny. Beware of the politically correct police.

Edited by Guest

:D  Give it about 10-15 years.  Just because I don't need or want it today, doesn't mean I can't appreciate the opportunity it gives others who don't have the physical abilities I have at 66.  I had a total knee replacement three years ago, and feel as fit (or better) now, than when I did in my 40's.

At the same time, I'm looking around and seeing people who are ten years younger than me and who look far older, and act like it.  Age catches up to each of us in our own time.  

The Nikken may have three wheels, but from the reviews it is the closest thing to being a full on motorcycle of any of them.  And Yamaha is extremely smart about this.  They know that those who are riding FJ's will eventually get older and will yearn for a way to extend their riding life just a few more years.  The Nikken will be their best selling bike some day...and you may own one.  ;) :D 

Chris

• Supporting Member
56 minutes ago, chesterburnet said:

Seriously, all those 3 wheelers are slugs. Anyone that wants to give up their Yamaha triple for one.....be my guest. I had an XSR900 and now an FJ 09 with K-tech front and rear. I would like 3 wheels better why?

I have yet to read a ride review from a journalist that didn't like or wasn't impressed with the Niken's front end and handling. 

This review - Cycle world Niken Review might clear up some misconceptions about the Niken.

8 minutes ago, betoney said:

I have yet to read a ride review from a journalist that didn't like or wasn't impressed with the Niken's front end and handling. 

This review - Cycle world Niken Review might clear up some misconceptions about the Niken.

You should get one.

49 minutes ago, betoney said:

That was an interesting article. The biggest thing I got out of it was an accurate description of their target demographic. I fit some of the criteria, but I miss some too. I think it’s an amazing piece of engineering, but I can’t justify having one. The complexity and expense are too great. I’ll stick with what I have. 

Now, if I lived somewhere else, and if I had more disposable income, I might reconsider. 

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, chesterburnet said:

You should get one.

While I dont need another 850 triple, It intrigues the hell out of me and with all of the positive reviews, I would love to ride one in some aggressive mountain pass and canyon twisties to see what all of the praise is about.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, Duke said:

That was an interesting article. The biggest thing I got out of it was an accurate description of their target demographic. I fit some of the criteria, but I miss some too.

Some things I got from the article - Yes, it rides and handles like a 2-wheeled motorcycle, yes, it handles better than a 2-wheeled motorcycle on wet, dirty or uneven corners and no, it isn't a beginners bike or for someone who isn't able bodied as the front end doesn't have a lock out and it will fall over without a kickstand or aren't strong enough to hold it up.

• Thumbsup 1