Wide tail bag for Corbin seat?

phpaul

I've cruised the topic and found the Saddlemen Tunnel bag which I REALLY like, but the "tunnel" portion is only 12 inches wide, tapering to 9 inches.  

The passenger portion of my Corbin, which is where the bag would sit, is 14 inches wide with little or no taper.

So, 2 questions:

1.  Would the standard Saddlemen bag sit on the seat okay?  I'd MUCH prefer not to remove the grab handles.

2.  If not, any recommendations for a fairly large tail bag that will work with the Corbin?

My soft saddlebags died of old age, I don't have the need (or frankly the money) to go to hard bags.  Just need a place to stash a rain suit and the occasional loaf of milk and quart of bread.

I'm considering one of these @phpaul

They come in a few different sizes and colors and fully waterproof.

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member

I've been using the 24L Cortech 2.0 tail bag for a couple of years now and it's held up perfectly with no modifications to the bike.   It has some nice straps that allow the quick disconnect clips to stay on the bike and 4 clips hold it securely.  It is exactly as wide as the stock seat when not expanded, but it expands directly out to the sides.  I've picked up light groceries with this bag before (including a gallon of milk and loaf of bread, lol).

It's not waterproof, but does come with a rain cover that has worked well enough.  For sensitive items like electronics or paper items, I bag and seal in various zip-locks anyhow.  I'll take some pictures tonight if you'd like to see it mounted.

cortech_super20_tail_bag_black.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

The Super 2.0 Tailbag features ballistic polyester construction, a quick release mounting system and an easy access top loading main...

That looks interesting, and in my target price range too.  Thanks!

If it's convenient, I'd appreciate a picture of it on your FJ but don't go out of your way to get one.

• Premium Member

No prob.  I just got home and snapped a some pictures in the garage real quick.  I even used a couple of 1 gallon water jugs for scale.  The bag also comes with a shoulder strap that attaches to the loops on either side of the handle you see in the first picture as well as a rain cover that fits into its own pocket.  The two pockets on either side are useful for quick access items and the "lid" has pockets for documents and such that I keep in sealed baggies.  I've been daily commuting with it for almost two years.  The rain cover mostly works, but I don't trust it alone to keep things dry.

Here's a couple pictures of it empty:

1846269698_backandside.thumb.jpg.c5c9954260e6cf90fde8b72648510bde.jpg

Here's the with the sides expanded and sides zipped.  There's a hard flap inside that folds down from the sides and helps it hold shape when expanded.

880550897_ExpandedandColapsed.thumb.jpg.bacac6990fed32303019afe4c13eaf08.jpg

The quick disconnect clips and the base come off with the bag.   When I remove the bag, the only item left on the bike are the straps that go under the tail.  The quick disconnect clips won't fit through the gap on the luggage rail.  I disconnected the luggage rails to install the straps under the tail so nothing needs to be strapped to or under the passenger seat.

Clips.jpg.f7ee1716008cd14286c8a64711eddd4f.jpg

Edit:  Anyone know how they measure volume for bags?  I can fit a third gallon jug in there easily and there was some space at the front where the jugs narrow down.  So if we're generous and say if I poured water into the bag and it holds another gallon in all the little free space areas, that's still 4 gallons, or 15 liters.  I don't see another 9 liters in the small side pockets and this is a "24 Liter" bag.  I always wondered why bags always seem smaller than the "Liter" volume measurement.

• Thumbsup 1

The Cortech bag came in today.  Mounting it over the Corbin seat took a little head-scratching and there's about 2 feet of extra strap to deal with, but it fits well and looks good.  It's roomy enough that I think I'm gonna lose the tank bag which was getting pretty worn anyway.

cortech.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

Awesome.  I have the extra strap lengths folded back on themselves and slipped into the clips under the tail.  They've held solid.  I love that your cage matches your wheels!  very sharp.

15 hours ago, superfist said:

Awesome.  I have the extra strap lengths folded back on themselves and slipped into the clips under the tail.  They've held solid.  I love that your cage matches your wheels!  very sharp.

Thanks, I paid a little extra for  the blurple from Higdonian just for that reason!  I get a lot of complements on them.

• Thumbsup 1