Front End Wobble on Deceleration?

RichNDC

You are correct sir. Any other ideas? It is still there, as slight as it is. Bike and tire are brand new of course. I am not going to worry about it. It only happens precisely at 45mph and with no hands on the bars. I dont think the steering head bearing is too tight or loose. I will be pissed if it goes away when I eventually replace the tires. Here is hoping I ride so much it happens soon! I got 9K out of the factory set on my XSR900. Once I saw the steel belting on the rear tire, I figured it was past time to change them out. 

• Like 1

Balance the tires/proper rotation direction?   Chain slack?  Or it's just the tire "hunting" to maintain balance...

Stock tires are junk- but It took me 8500miles to square the rear tire off...

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Definitely proper rotation direction, first thing I checked. Chain has been adjusted twice and I use micro calipers to set distance to ensure the rear wheel is straight.  I am about to do a 6 day trip, then track day. If this shimmy bothers me, I will replace tires upon return. 

I dunno on using calipers to align the rear tire... The hash marks on the swingarm are just a quick reference to align the rear tire then check it out with a alingment tool... But it's only bothering you @45mph with no hands on the bars vs having hands on the bars and don't even notice it... 

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I don't know. Mines done it since day one but it's progressively getting worse. I'm still on the stock front tire so that's my best guess. If you notice in my video when my hands comes off the bar I'm probably doing 50 and the vibrations start pretty much exactly at 45. That video is from last year, it's a bit more violent now. I just keep at least a finger on the bars and it prevents it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So...I had the steering head bearing checked--torque was set correctly. Tires, chain, suspension settings....Last week I did a 6 day ride that culminated on a track day. Bike performed excellent, or as excellent as I am able to make it perform (which, was not much, thought I was a pretty good rider until I got on the track with the real deal guys). Coming back, bike was loaded. Top box, side cases and a 30L SW Mototech bag on the pillion. Wobble, ever present, again--only at 42mph during decel and hands off the bars. Then I get home...I take off all bags, wobble is now GONE. I cant make it wobble. The thing is, early on, I tested all bags, some bags, stuff in bags, bags empty--wobble always seemed present. Without the top box, there is NO WOBBLE. So, dont buy a top box for this bike, unless you like a wobbler. .....and if you do, I now have one for sale. Today, I got my Corbin seat.  Lovely. BTW--dont get electric blue welts or siding--it is not even close to matching. Some vinyl paint and I now have gloss black carbon fiber sides and welts. 

Edited by RichNDC

• Supporting Member
On 5/19/2019 at 6:31 PM, RichNDC said:

Coming back, bike was loaded. Top box, side cases and a 30L SW Mototech bag on the pillion. Wobble, ever present, again--only at 42mph during decel and hands off the bars.

OK, the curiosity has gotten the best of me... I have to ask... why are you decelerating with no hands on the bars only at 42mph?  Is this like one of those tide-pod challenges all the kids are doing on you tube?  😉

Edited by betoney

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
On 5/3/2019 at 1:13 PM, RichNDC said:

Word to the wise in N VA, stay away from Coleman Powersports. It's a clown show over there, sad to say. 

'Fraid I've heard the very same thing from some of my local riding buddies, Rich.  Terrible after-sale service, borderline incompetence, etc.  Sad, indeed.  Hope your wobble gets sorted out in good time.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

Just back off a 3 day trip and I noticed the wobble at 45 mph on the decel with no hands. I was just doing it to “loosen up” on a long ride!  I had no top box but I am under 36psi on front.

Just checked the tyre and there is noticeable additional wear on the right side.

Edited by bigd

On 5/20/2019 at 11:31 AM, RichNDC said:

So...I had the steering head bearing checked--torque was set correctly. Tires, chain, suspension settings....Last week I did a 6 day ride that culminated on a track day. Bike performed excellent, or as excellent as I am able to make it perform (which, was not much, thought I was a pretty good rider until I got on the track with the real deal guys). Coming back, bike was loaded. Top box, side cases and a 30L SW Mototech bag on the pillion. Wobble, ever present, again--only at 42mph during decel and hands off the bars. Then I get home...I take off all bags, wobble is now GONE. I cant make it wobble. The thing is, early on, I tested all bags, some bags, stuff in bags, bags empty--wobble always seemed present. Without the top box, there is NO WOBBLE. So, dont buy a top box for this bike, unless you like a wobbler. .....and if you do, I now have one for sale. Today, I got my Corbin seat.  Lovely. BTW--dont get electric blue welts or siding--it is not even close to matching. Some vinyl paint and I now have gloss black carbon fiber sides and welts. 

Try adding preload in the rear, see if that reduces it with luggage. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Hey guys,

2019 Tracer GT, 5000KM still on factory tires. Correct sag has setup for my 200lb weight. Tire pressure is F33/R36 PSI. Givi v47 top box and side cases were installed. MRA X-Creen Touring Clamp-On Windscreen Spoiler was installed on OEM screen (I took it off today as it was useless).

I noticed wobble when decel and both hands off the bars. I was fixing my gloves liner, mostly I ride with both hands on the bars. 

As suggested I will check steering head bearing. Before that I will ride without any luggage install on the bike and see if this will fix. If it does then I think it might required stiffer springs. 

Tires and wheel are in good shape.

In need of replacing OEM seat, thinking about Yamaha comfort seat, any other suggestions for 200lb rider? Planning a 9000km ride next month and OEM seat is painful after 90 min. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/19/2019 at 11:09 PM, betoney said:

OK, the curiosity has gotten the best of me... I have to ask... why are you decelerating with no hands on the bars only at 42mph?  Is this like one of those tide-pod challenges all the kids are doing on you tube?  😉

Nope, I dont do it to show off either. I honestly cant say how it started. Just when the road is clear and I am slowing down, sometimes I let my hands drop, then I guess it became more like a "thing".  Try it--then bring them back up on the bars just in time to smoothly stop the bike.

I still have a slight wobble, again, only when hands off the bars and only exactly at 42mph, on decel. However, if the top box is off the bike, then it does not do it. I think there is something about the wind drag and the geometry of the frame. But, it's nothing to sweat. 

On 5/26/2019 at 1:38 AM, Motocheck said:

Hey guys,

2019 Tracer GT, 5000KM still on factory tires. Correct sag has setup for my 200lb weight. Tire pressure is F33/R36 PSI. Givi v47 top box and side cases were installed. MRA X-Creen Touring Clamp-On Windscreen Spoiler was installed on OEM screen (I took it off today as it was useless).

I noticed wobble when decel and both hands off the bars. I was fixing my gloves liner, mostly I ride with both hands on the bars. 

As suggested I will check steering head bearing. Before that I will ride without any luggage install on the bike and see if this will fix. If it does then I think it might required stiffer springs. 

Tires and wheel are in good shape.

In need of replacing OEM seat, thinking about Yamaha comfort seat, any other suggestions for 200lb rider? Planning a 9000km ride next month and OEM seat is painful after 90 min. 

You likely got a seat already, but I was gonna let you know. I bought a custom Corbin. I like it. I dont know if I like it for $500 like it though. I still get a bit saddle sore and had previously done a 6 day ride with the factory seat and it was fine. I think you get sore no matter what seat you got. The custom Corbin does look good on the bike though. I will post some pics tomorrow.