Front End Wobble on Deceleration?

RichNDC

• Premium Member
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:33 PM, fjrpittsburgh said:

When I've see wobble on the front end of a bike on decel with hands off the bars, a new front tire always solved the issue.  If you don't keep enough tire pressure in that front tire, it will wear funny and scallop.  I always keep 40 to 42 psi in the front tire and I never have that issue any longer.  I've learned this trick from multiple experienced bike guys over the years.  Some people think that high of pressure will reduce the contact patch size on road.  You can follow me and see the results for yourself.  Couldn't be further from the truth.  Keep that tire pressure up a few pounds.  You'll soon see the excellent results on better tire wear and longer tire life. 

I had the issue with mine as well.  When I had about 500-1k miles I noticed a slight wobble.  Chased it round and round and the dealer's aadvice was "We can't find anything, stop taking your hands off the bars!".

By the time I replaced the tire there wasn't any evidence of scalloping or odd wear on the stock front tire.  I've had a front Metzler Roadtec 01 and now a Michelin Road 5 front and both have been absolutely steady.

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, thejrod said:

I think it's a fundamental chassis imbalance - it's not super stable under decel. 

I completely disagree, I believe it is bike setup.  After reading several members experience, I had to go try for myself today.  I tried at least a dozen times on a level road as well as a downward slope and speeds from 40 to 55mph, maintaining a set speed and then suddenly drop both hands off the bars and coast down to 20-25mph (until I got so slow that I started weaving side to side) and couldn't get it to do anything except decelerate in a straight line. 

No luggage on the bike except a tank bag, no hand guards, aftermarket suspension setup track-side by a suspension tuner, forks raised 5mm in the clamps, half worn tires with 38psi F/R.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 hours ago, betoney said:

I completely disagree, I believe it is bike setup.  After reading several members experience, I had to go try for myself today.  I tried at least a dozen times on a level road as well as a downward slope and speeds from 40 to 55mph, maintaining a set speed and then suddenly drop both hands off the bars and coast down to 20-25mph (until I got so slow that I started weaving side to side) and couldn't get it to do anything except decelerate in a straight line. 

No luggage on the bike except a tank bag, no hand guards, aftermarket suspension setup track-side by a suspension tuner, forks raised 5mm in the clamps, half worn tires with 38psi F/R.

Bike setup? I definitely agree that is part of the issue.

There can be many contributors to wobble which have been explored a ton on these pages. Setup is part of it for sure. 

Another is when guys have 3 bags on the back of their FJ which Yamaha says specifically is NOT recommended.  

I also wonder about the aerodynamic and handling effects of some of these bigger ADV style box luggage cases which seem heavier than the Yamaha city hard cases.  

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 3

Well, thanks for all the replies. I am curious to see if others who are experiencing this have it disappear when they change tires. I only have 3600 on mine, no tire change in my near future. Mine was totally absent when the top box was off, but it has now shown up slightly with no box or side cases.  I am just gonna live with it. I know for sure the head bearings are set right, have played with tire pressure, pre load, all of that. It just is. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
37 minutes ago, RichNDC said:

I am just gonna live with it. I know for sure the head bearings are set right, have played with tire pressure, pre load, all of that. It just is. 

What about fork height?  The height of the forks in the triple clamps can change the steering sensitivity, a lot of folks raise theirs 5-10mm. 

I'd be leery of any remote poster declaring the cause without riding the bike. Mainly because I've experienced it on several different bikes and it's been a result of different causes. 

On one it was a very worn tire. On another, overloading the rear of the bike. Another was aerodynamics of a top case (regardless of loading). If a light touch on a bar is enough damp(en?)ing to forestall it (and it always has been) not going to spend any time looking for something to fix.

Edited by chitown
typo

• Supporting Member

I have the wobble and did not have it when the bike was new. Nothing has changed but the Dunlop tires have over 5000mi on them, can't wait for them to wear out and on go the PR5s.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

45 minutes ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

Yeah, I've seen a few bikes wobble with no hands on decel.  Sometimes it's the bags or windshield, but's it's almost always a worn front tire.  Keeping 42 psi in the front tire does help considerably.

42 psi up front is waaayyyyy too high, that’s  a rear pressure.  Original manual says 36, but I run 33.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member

I know this is crazy talk here - but what happens when you decelerate normally, ya' know, with your hands on the bars?

35 minutes ago, BBB said:

42 psi up front is waaayyyyy too high, that’s  a rear pressure.  Original manual says 36, but I run 33.

It's not way too high if the tire is rated for it and it works for rider preferences and conditions. Nor is your pressure too low. There are trade offs certainly.

46 minutes ago, betoney said:

I know this is crazy talk here - but what happens when you decelerate normally, ya' know, with your hands on the bars?

It's all normal ,you can not feel any wobble what so ever 

regards graham

• Thumbsup 1