Help Me Decide

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, mike said:

I would not advise running away from this bike due to any worry about this issue. This thing is WAY too  much fun!

I agree.  I ride in standard mode all the time, I don't feel any twitch at all in the throttle.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/29/2019 at 11:58 PM, norcal616 said:

Tracer 900 is a Swiss army knife thanks to that silly motor Yamaha created...  

On 4/30/2019 at 12:08 AM, texscottyd said:

Oh yeah... that’s perfect!  

Couldn't agree more. 😎

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

There is a twitch in the throttle, sort of.  It's called fuel cut.  Many new bikes have it and it's definitely noticeable while riding the Tracer.  When you twist the throttle you get fuel and the bike roars ahead as intended.  When you back off the throttle to decelerate, Yamaha designed the bike to cut the fuel for better emissions.  When you twist the throttle again the fuel rails get fuel again to accelerate.  It's a little on the jumpy side.  Once Ivan finishes his ECU flash, the fuel cut will be turned off and the bike will be much smoother.  No more semi jerky throttle response.  Ivan will be done with his flash within 2 months.  I'll report the improvements when the flash is available.  The bikes throttle response will be smooth as silk.

I have no affiliation with Ivan, but have followed his excellent work for years.  A friend of mine has an FZ 09 with Ivan's flash.  I have a few friends with FJRs with Ivan's flash.  They all say the same thing.  Their bikes are improved in smoothness like night and day.  I'm an experienced rider who noticed the fuel cut Yamaha designed for the GT immediately.  There's nothing wrong with the GT the way it is if you're happy with it.  Why not make it better?  More info here:

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fz09.htm

Please read and learn.  His website describes what he does with his flashes in detail.  Not that it's all that important, but when he's done, top speed in 5th gear is 145 mph and top speed in 6th gear is 165 mph.  Like I said, that's not important to me, but the smoothness and ridability is drastically improved.  

• Supporting Member

@fjrpittsburgh  Just curious, why only consider Ivan's flash?   I used to have an FZ1 and know about Ivan's reputation with tuning bikes, however, other very highly regarded tuners have had flashes available for years which are available to get your bike smoothed out today.  Not judging, just curious.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

These guys sell decent gear, have easy to use software, after sales support etc.

WWW.WOOLICHRACING.COM

Woolich Racing 2018 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer GT ECU Flashing products allow you to tune the maps and settings in the 2018 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer GT ECU. Fuel Maps, Ignition Maps, Secondary Throttle Plate Maps, RPM Limiters...

They are also currently working on "race tools" for the tracer gt.

Race tools will include the ability to tune the quick shift. Auto blip on down shift. Launch control etc.

11 hours ago, betoney said:

@fjrpittsburgh  Just curious, why only consider Ivan's flash?   I used to have an FZ1 and know about Ivan's reputation with tuning bikes, however, other very highly regarded tuners have had flashes available for years which are available to get your bike smoothed out today.  Not judging, just curious.

Hey @betoney .  I chose Ivan due to his excellent reputation.  There's another flash for the GT I've found, but haven't seen enough reviews on it yet to make an informed decision.  Here's the other one I am considering:

https://www.vcyclenut.com/store/p2/2014-2019__MT%2FFZ%2FFJ-09%2FXSR900%2FGT_900_tracer_custom_flash.html

• Thumbsup 1

On 5/14/2019 at 9:08 AM, fjrpittsburgh said:

Hey @betoney .  I chose Ivan due to his excellent reputation.  There's another flash for the GT I've found, but haven't seen enough reviews on it yet to make an informed decision.  Here's the other one I am considering:

https://www.vcyclenut.com/store/p2/2014-2019__MT%2FFZ%2FFJ-09%2FXSR900%2FGT_900_tracer_custom_flash.html

I had mine done there. Very helpful and put up with me and my pickiness.

• Thumbsup 1

I went from a versys 650 to a Tracer 900 gt after about 18 months. Rode in B mode for the first month after scaring myself a few times and now I’m thrilled. Looking back, I wish I’d skipped the Versys—it was awesome but ended up being expensive to trade up and the B mode trick basically makes it as docile as a versys. Insurance is wicked expensive though and I have a clean driving record and am past 50. That was definitely a shocker. 

30 minutes ago, funkspieler said:

Insurance is wicked expensive though and I have a clean driving record and am past 50. That was definitely a shocker. 

How much're you paying?   Here I'm up for AUD$365 (a dollar a day) for $12,000 value, and I'm within weeks of my 80th birthday, with a full no-claims history.   I reckon that's pretty good...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.