Frequency of throttle body sync

The manual calls for a sync at 1,000 kms and then each 6000 kms thereafter.  Do people really do it that often and is it need that often?  If you own the sync tool, how long does the whole job take? Thanks.

Policy on all bikes is to do it at first service, after any fueling related changes, and any time I'm doing other maintenance in that area. Doesn't take long at all provided you've stripped away all the stuff to get at it. 

Track it in my maintenance notes and adjust schedule depending on how out of sync it gets between checks. The FJ thus far hasn't needed much adjustment but I've seen owners of the same model and mileage report different results so I let the bike tell me. 

There are youtube videos showing the process for more info.

The synch itself takes about 20 mins max, but you have to add time to take off plastics and tank. The first time takes about 30mins off and 30 mins back on. Next time will be quicker. To my mind, if you've got the manometer, then why not check sooner than 10,000, not because you have to, but because, as chitown, there's no set time if and when they drift off.

Edited by Tripletrouble

@Tripletrouble

I just bought one. 

It's funny I actually asked the dealer to do the TB sync way back when I took it in for the handlebar riser recall. They kept the bike for a week and then when I picked it up it wasn't on the receipt. I asked why and they said "oh the tech must have missed it on the work order". Said I could leave it. Uh, you've already had it for a week. No thanks, I'll do it myself. I just got around to doing it. 

• Thumbsup 1

Dealers also seem to miss it out on the first service, as it's just an advisory. Don't think they like doing it. I've done it on all my bikes, very straightforward, the longest bit is taking off plastics. Take off seats, put a thick towel where riders seat was, and swivel tank round and rest on that. Use a bungy just so's you don't knock it off ! Takes me longer to ride to dealers than doing it myself. Have fun ! 

Edited by Tripletrouble

• Premium Member

Once you get into the bike for the first synch, you can attach longer rubber hoses that  protrude through the  bike. This makes it easy to check the synchronization without removing everything. Although if you find you need to make an adjustment, you still have to take everything off.

Thank you for all the guidance.  My next question is:  Which sync tool is best. I don't mind spending more for quality. I started looking at these two:  

WWW.PHATPERFORMANCEPARTS.COM

Works with 2, 3 or 4 cylinder motorsGauges are calibrated to 0-30 in/Hg vacuum2 in. diameter gauges fitted with a lockable damping valve to even out the pulses for accurate readingsComes with...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018UTHGPE/?coliid=I133HPSE47QHF5&colid=3P31YYSWTS8AG&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Edited by magnatic

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, magnatic said:

Thank you for all the guidance.  My next question is:  Which sync tool is best. I don't mind spending more for quality. I starting looking at these two:  

WWW.PHATPERFORMANCEPARTS.COM

Works with 2, 3 or 4 cylinder motorsGauges are calibrated to 0-30 in/Hg vacuum2 in. diameter gauges fitted with a lockable damping valve to even out the pulses for accurate readingsComes with...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018UTHGPE/?coliid=I133HPSE47QHF5&colid=3P31YYSWTS8AG&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I have heard nothing but great things about the Carb Tune Pro.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, betoney said:

I have heard nothing but great things about the Carb Tune Pro.

Thats what I have and it works great! and I only do the synch when the bike starts sounding rough. I'm a firm believer in the " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy....

When I first got the bike, I followed the owners manual suggestion on repair timing, but I wasted a lot of time doing things that didn't need to be done. Maybe it provides peace of mind that you know it is all ok, but now I just wait until I detect things are off a bit, and then figure out what I need to adjust/fix.

Can't tell you how many dealers have told me they don't even do the synch according to the manual either.

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just did mine at 16K. Did myself. Used Motion Pro tool. Very little adjustment needed. First time working on a motorcycle. Quite the involved process. Left side vacuum port cap a real challenge to get at as it required removal of a couple of items not covered in the manual. I think I will go for 8k miles between throttle body synths. Will never begrudge $110 an hour to local dealer mechanics   

• Thumbsup 1

On 5/3/2019 at 2:48 PM, DavidS said:

Once you get into the bike for the first synch, you can attach longer rubber hoses that  protrude through the  bike. This makes it easy to check the synchronization without removing everything. Although if you find you need to make an adjustment, you still have to take everything off.

When you did this, what did you use to cap the end of the hose?  I can't seem to find a vacuum hose plug?

24 minutes ago, magnatic said:

When you did this, what did you use to cap the end of the hose?  I can't seem to find a vacuum hose plug?

Depending on what you're using to extend the lines... vinyl caps (sometimes called bypass caps) available from auto parts stores, rubber stopper (looks like a bottle cork made of rubber), if the walls of the new hoses are soft a screw can do better and last longer, etc. But, never got much value from extending the lines and checking sync more often than I had the tank off so no longer bother.

According to the service manual it is basically pointless to sync the throttle bodies without first checking valve clearance which is just way too much work. It's also weird that they suggest valves checked at 26K miles but want the TB's checked every 4K given that you're supposed to be sure the valves are good before doing the TB's....

thottle bodies.PNG

However, I'm making the assumption that "Fuel Injection / Adjust Synchronization" is referring to the Throttle bodies. Otherwise there is no specific mention of a service interval for "Syncing Throttle Bodies".

schedule.PNG

I guess it all really depends on how you translate "Tip" lol. 

Edited by dbeau
  • Thumbsup 1