Frequency of throttle body sync

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, dbeau said:

According to the service manual it is basically pointless do sync the throttle bodies without first checking valve clearance which is just way too much work. It's also weird that they suggest valves checked at 26K miles but want the TB's checked every 4K given that you're supposed to be sure the valves are good before doing the TB's....

thottle bodies.PNG

I get the valves checked, TB's checked and plugs replaced every 20-25k.  Every time I have had this bike or previous Yamaha FZ1 in for this service they tell me that the TB's were so close it wasn't worth adjusting and that the plugs still looked great.  I think Yamaha's recommended service interval is way overkill.  YMMV

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

7 hours ago, dbeau said:

According to the service manual it is basically pointless to sync the throttle bodies without first checking valve clearance which is just way too much work. It's also weird that they suggest valves checked at 26K miles but want the TB's checked every 4K given that you're supposed to be sure the valves are good before doing the TB's....

thottle bodies.PNG

However, I'm making the assumption that "Fuel Injection / Adjust Synchronization" is referring to the Throttle bodies. Otherwise there is no specific mention of a service interval for "Syncing Throttle Bodies".

schedule.PNG

I guess it all really depends on how you translate "Tip" lol. 

The reason the “Tip” is there is because ALL of those items will affect the sync measurements. So it’s not absolutely necessary to verify all those items, however for example you adjust the valve clearances or had an exhaust leak that you repaired - then the sync of the throttle bodies should be checked and adjusted if necessary, after the other repairs have been completed. 

I would add Carbon build-up to the list also. Those of you out there who don’t believe in running good quality high octane gas will have greater carbon deposits on your valve stems, seats, and piston crowns which ultimately affect how the bike runs, and the TB sync. 

Ring-free plus is your friend. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Having worked in a motorcycle shop before, I can tell you, they don't do all that work before the throttle body synch. (unless you agree to pay them for those items too)