givi/kappa 2122dt windscreen

I have searched around and can't find where i had seen some people having some buffeting problems with this screen.  I have some issues with mine buffeting and I am 5'7''.  When I use a clamp on screen deflector it all goes away but now I look directly at that clamp...which I can't look at much longer without going crazy looking at it. 

I read on here or somewhere else in where someone was modifying the mounting of the screen with spacers to redirect the air over their helmets.  Does this ring a bell with anyone about those mods....I leave for Tennessee in a few weeks and would love to get the screen sorted out.  It's going to be a little cool when we leave so I would like the protection of this screen.

Thanks in advance

I've played with angles on mine. Changing helmets completely changed the angle that worked best for me. 

I currently have the top shimmed out 3/8" making the screen more upright. It worked best with the new helmet. 

Previously I had the bottom shimmed out 1/2". 

I'm 6'. 

My advice is get some longer bolts and some cheap nylon spacers and experiment. You can work on making it look good after you find what works best. While there is room for improvement I don't think there is one right answer and some testing and tuning is called for to find it.

Edited by nicksta43
  • Thumbsup 1

I made some brackets for mine that were about 20mm higher and tilted forward about the same. It is marginally better. I also cut out the recessed panel near the mounting holes to see if that improved buffeting/noise. Again only marginally better. My next thing was to try a deflector. I am 188cm talk too by the way.

Edited by Buggy Nate
  • Thumbsup 1

On 5/2/2019 at 7:53 PM, nicksta43 said:

I've played with angles on mine. Changing helmets completely changed the angle that worked best for me. 

I currently have the top shimmed out 3/8" making the screen more upright. It worked best with the new helmet. 

Previously I had the bottom shimmed out 1/2". 

I'm 6'. 

My advice is get some longer bolts and some cheap nylon spacers and experiment. You can work on making it look good after you find what works best. While there is room for improvement I don't think there is one right answer and some testing and tuning is called for to find it.

i just did the spacers on the top about the same 3/8' with some rubber faucet washers.  I'll see how that works tomorrow on a quick tour.

17 hours ago, nicksta43 said:

Anything to report?

tried the spacers and not much difference to me.  ended up putting the stock windscreen back on and was happier with that even though the wind protection was less...the buffeting was gone.  There was no way I could ride for any highway distance with the kappa screen, my eyeballs would shake out of my head.