1000 km in one day.

Guest dmizer

Guest dmizer
Just finished a 1000 km ride yesterday in all stock trim. It was all expressway in the wind and heavy rain. The bars tended to get buffeted in the gusts making it feel like a loose front end, but otherwise, it was a very nice ride. Got about 22 km/l during the trip too. Doing the reverse on Sunday to head back home.

Yee ha, 621+ miles is a good days ride. Especially under less then ideal conditions. How was the overall comfort level? I'd like to be able to do those types of days soon. Still lurking and wondering if this is the ONE, new replacement bike for me. Replacing a VFR which I just can't seem to bend down on the bars anymore. 300 miles through Yosemite National Park a week ago and I was hurtin from that.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
I always think of nowhere being that far away in Japan but I guess the country is larger than I imagine
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest dmizer
Yee ha, 621+ miles is a good days ride. Especially under less then ideal conditions. How was the overall comfort level? I'd like to be able to do those types of days soon. Still lurking and wondering if this is the ONE, new replacement bike for me. Replacing a VFR which I just can't seem to bend down on the bars anymore. 300 miles through Yosemite National Park a week ago and I was hurtin from that.
The biggest thing for me, comfort wise, is that I had zero knee pain. Since I am sitting more upright with much wider bars, I have more wind buffeting along with some more neck pin, but I am still getting used to the new seating position. Changing the stock screen height only made things worse, because it just directed wind at my helmet. I left it on the lowest position. Highway pegs would have made it even more comfortable. The seat was firm but not uncomfortable. Not going to lie though, towards the end I was ready to get off.

I'm currently getting ready to ride again today, so it can't have been too bad. Nothing quite so epic though.

Guest dmizer
I always think of nowhere being that far away in Japan but I guess the country is larger than I imagine
Honshu is bigger than Great Britain. :P

;)Hi Dmizer,
great super effort on your ride!
Gees, you must have seen all of Japan by now? Including the kilometres with your previous bike?
Somewhere here in the tech area, somebody has replaced the MT-09 tracer foot pegs with the FZ6 rubberised pegs? Could that also make a difference to your comfort? You would need to replace the stock screen with an Ermax touring screen...It just looks better by far. Have you got heated grips fitted? Did you consume sake to remain warm & dry?
Looking forward to Japan! Unfortunately, I just miss the Osaka & Tokyo motorcycle shows!
But, I need temples & Geishas.....
Cheers,
Steve

P.S. Enjoy the return trip, ride safe and report back!

I did another 300 today, which is nothing compared to your days.   I took Advil before and I was better during the ride. Water every hour to hour and a half.

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Guest dmizer
I picked up a throttle lock for the trip home. My wrist is still a bit sore, but otherwise I'm ok. Might not be a bad idea to pick up some Advil myself.

I'm sure the minds on this forum will be figuring out an electronic cruise control hook up. But those with extended warranty's may have a decision to make. 1,242 ish miles in two days with the first 600+ in fowl weather is impressive. Glad you had a safe trip.

07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Yes, I have something similar on my VFR now. Great for giving the right wrist a break. It would work fine on the FJ MT09 for the time being until warranty runs out. But for long hauls, like dmizer just took, electronic cruise, especially if it could be activated by std controls, would be pretty nice to have.

07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Guest dmizer
Yes, I have something similar on my VFR now. Great for giving the right wrist a break. It would work fine on the FJ MT09 for the time being until warranty runs out. But for long hauls, like dmizer just took, electronic cruise, especially if it could be activated by std controls, would be pretty nice to have.
Unfortunately, I have never seen a bike of any kind sold in Japan with cruise control. I am unsure, but it may be prohibited because I've also never seen a car with one either.

• Premium Member
Unfortunately, I have never seen a bike of any kind sold in Japan with cruise control. I am unsure, but it may be prohibited because I've also never seen a car with one either.
They don't sell the FJR1300 there with cruise or the super tenere? Interesting.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest dmizer
The FJR1300 isn't sold in Japan. The only way we can get one is a gray re-import. The one guy I know who has one has it without a cruise. I believe the same is true for the Super Tenere. Heck, even the Goldwings (also a reverse import) I've seen didn't have cruise.

Guest dmizer
;)Hi Dmizer, great super effort on your ride!
Gees, you must have seen all of Japan by now? Including the kilometres with your previous bike?
Somewhere here in the tech area, somebody has replaced the MT-09 tracer foot pegs with the FZ6 rubberised pegs? Could that also make a difference to your comfort? You would need to replace the stock screen with an Ermax touring screen...It just looks better by far. Have you got heated grips fitted? Did you consume sake to remain warm & dry?
Looking forward to Japan! Unfortunately, I just miss the Osaka & Tokyo motorcycle shows!
But, I need temples & Geishas.....
Cheers,
Steve

P.S. Enjoy the return trip, ride safe and report back!
I just realized you asked me a bunch of questions and I didn't even reply. Sorry about that.

As to the pegs, I ride with reinforced, hard soled, protective riding boots, so I doubt changing pegs would do much to change my comfort level. I also do not have heated grips. We're coming to the end of our winter season here, so I won't need them until next winter now anyway. Goretex keeps me warm and dry, but most of the trip was above 10 degrees anyway.

With regard to wind screens, a long time ago, I ran into this article (or something similar): http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fairing.html, which simply confirmed what I'd suspected for a long time before that. Essentially small wind screens are pretty useless and given the restrictions on screen size related to the bar hand guards on the tracer and complete lack of fairings, I doubt you could get an effective screen on this bike. I'm actually tempted to cut the screen down smaller or remove it completely in order to keep it from creating so much turbulence.

Finally, it's a damn shame you're coming to Japan and doing what looks to be next to nothing bike related ... (zzz)

Archived