Various Seats

Has anyone traded out the stock FJ 09 seat for the "lowered" version. Picked up my bike last week in Northeast Pa. and while it sits in my garage waiting for the weather to cooperate and the salt/gravel to wash off the road beds was thinking the lowered seat option. I ride everything from 60's Brit bikes to a BMW S1000RR and for many years, but this seat height thing has me thinking. Is it worth the bucks for an inch and a 1/4. Thanks

I'd experiment while your not riding it due to weather and try cutting down your foam in the stock seat a bit. Just cut it down and put seat back on the bike without reinstalling the vinyl. Sit on it or take it for a short spin and see what you think. You may end up finding you like it. You will definitely find out if you like it lower. You can always end up purchasing the lower seat in the event you don't like it. It's all personal preference and difficult thing for anybody to answer. I have a 30" inseam and that's what I'm going to do first.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Conversely, does anyone have any experience with Yamaha's "comfort" seat?  I'll wait a few hundred miles before coming to a conclusion about the seat, but the stock one is definitely the hardest seat I've owned yet.  The so-called comfort seat is more than $300, but is it worth it?  Also, that's a hell of a lame name, and it even comes with a tag on the side that says "comfort!"  Must have been named in Japan, haha.  

Conversely, does anyone have any experience with Yamaha's "comfort" seat?  I'll wait a few hundred miles before coming to a conclusion about the seat, but the stock one is definitely the hardest seat I've owned yet.  The so-called comfort seat is more than $300, but is it worth it?  Also, that's a hell of a lame name, and it even comes with a tag on the side that says "comfort!"  Must have been named in Japan, haha.  
You might want to search for a write up on the comfort seat.  I am not a seat expert, but have had a couple made for me that improved the OEM's.  I will tell you the same thing I have told everyone else that thinks they need to replace the seat on the FJ.  I have over 3700 miles on my bike now and the seat is still no issue.  I have done a 500 mile day and back to back 400 mile days twice.  You will have decide for youself, but should give it a reasonable chance.  Also waiting to see if others want a custom seat, as a group buy may develop this next winter. :)

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

After a 300 mile day I've decided when I buck up and send off the ecu for a re flash I'm gonna send my seat to saddlemen for a proper comfort seat mod job. They will build you whatever you want for $400.00. I had one on my Buell and rode an R6 with one. They well worth the price of admission IMO

i test ride the bike with the standard seat but felt it was just a little too tall (especially when I put luggage on it) so I ordered it with a lower seat (anyone know if I get the standard as well?).

Pic it up on Saturday as Im currently in the US. It's supposed to lower it 32mm which sounds a lot to me.

Will let you know how I get on.

• Premium Member
i test ride the bike with the standard seat but felt it was just a little too tall (especially when I put luggage on it) so I ordered it with a lower seat (anyone know if I get the standard as well?). 
Pic it up on Saturday as Im currently in the US. It's supposed to lower it 32mm which sounds a lot to me.

Will let you know how I get on.
Hello adie - missed you sneaking in this post earlier in the week :) 
Come on then, tell everyone what you told me about your 50 mile ride yesterday...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

oh hello. I'd forgotten about this.

yes I picked the bike up yesterday and did about 50 miles in the wind and showers.

I first sat on the bike with the higher seat and it felt high. Took it home with the lower and it didn't feel much different. but it had taken a little of the wind noise away and although I'm still making sure that I can put my foot down when I stop I feel more comfortable about it.

no doubt after a little more use it will be easy. I'm still tippy toe on both feet but can plant one full flat (and the other on the edge of the toe).

being a 5'4" girlie it made sense for me. no doubt when the top box (waiting on the rack) and luggage (need to find some) and filling them with way too much clothing it'll be lower still and I may go back to the big seat for more comfort. not that it felt a lot different to the standard one. guess I'll have to test them back to back to know the real difference.

don't seem to be able to add a photo of it (prolly cos I'm a newbie)...Wessie can you add one from my FB?

• Premium Member
A couple of pictures of adie's bike with the lower seat 
adie1.jpg

I notice there is a little MOSS on her bike. blbl_zpsvi6inrfd.gif I like the blue. Good choice Addie.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived