Pannier lids - FJR & Tracer GT

Folks,

I have a line on a set of used FJR bags.

The lids are in good shape, but the one latching mechanism (plastic tab that slides out into the mount on the bike) is broken. My Yamaha dealer spoke to Yamaha Canada and you cannot buy this part separately from them. You need to buy the whole "inner" bag. Read: $$

So, I have the paint-matched City bags on my GT, for which I understand the inner bag has the exact same footprint as the FJR bags - although apparently Yamaha Canada won't confirm 😕

My question is, has anyone actually swapped out the "lids" or outer bag (the painted part) from an FJR bag onto a Tracer GT/FJ-09 inner bag?

If so, what is required to do so? It appears that the hinges on the Tracer bags are attached with rivets from the bottom. Do these need to be cut and replaced?

For what it's worth, I have searched the forum and have read through all the FJR bag posts that I could find and while there are some references to this mod, @clintthere is nothing that talks about specifically doing it or what is required. Plus a lot of pictures and even some of the members in those threads are no longer on the site.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

A guy on one of the FJR forums had his side bag damaged when another guy clipped his side case with another bike.  He was able to drill out the rivets on the lid hinge and pop rivet the lid hinge back on.  He said it was fairly easy to do.  I searched everywhere for the actual link for his post and can't find it.  I know that swapping the side case lids are definitely doable.

• Thumbsup 2

rlambke19, I have a GT and bought used FJR bags just for the lids. I painted them and swapped them onto my bags by simply removing the hinge pins, perfect fit.

The right FJR bag has a broken top hook but the latch and locking mechanisms are fine, you can have it if you want to try make one good from two broken bags.

Edited by gv550
  • Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

On 5/4/2019 at 10:57 PM, gv550 said:

rlambke19, I have a GT and bought used FJR bags just for the lids. I painted them and swapped them onto my bags by simply removing the hinge pins, perfect fit.

The right FJR bag has a broken top hook but the latch and locking mechanisms are fine, you can have it if you want to try make one good from two broken bags.

Thanks GV550 - I will let you know how it goes and may take you up on your offer!

Cheers

Rob 

• Premium Member
On 5/4/2019 at 10:58 AM, rlambke19 said:

Folks,

I have a line on a set of used FJR bags.

The lids are in good shape, but the one latching mechanism (plastic tab that slides out into the mount on the bike) is broken. My Yamaha dealer spoke to Yamaha Canada and you cannot buy this part separately from them. You need to buy the whole "inner" bag. Read: $$

So, I have the paint-matched City bags on my GT, for which I understand the inner bag has the exact same footprint as the FJR bags - although apparently Yamaha Canada won't confirm 😕

My question is, has anyone actually swapped out the "lids" or outer bag (the painted part) from an FJR bag onto a Tracer GT/FJ-09 inner bag?

If so, what is required to do so? It appears that the hinges on the Tracer bags are attached with rivets from the bottom. Do these need to be cut and replaced?

For what it's worth, I have searched the forum and have read through all the FJR bag posts that I could find and while there are some references to this mod, @clintthere is nothing that talks about specifically doing it or what is required. Plus a lot of pictures and even some of the members in those threads are no longer on the site.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Here is the original discussion.

• Thumbsup 1
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 6 months later...