Turn Signal Switch Sticking

New to the bike, new to the forum, hello!

Bought a used Tracer 900 GT with ~1,800 miles on the clock.  The turn signal switch feels horrible and gets stuck.  When activating the switch (turning on the signal), e.g. when pressing it left from center, it takes too much effort.  Feels like I'm going to break it, I have to press it so hard; then it feels like it gets over a detent or something and moves more freely.  It has a scratchy/grindy/sandpapery feel along the travel of the switch.  Finally, it gets stuck at the ends (left and right) and I have to manually return it to center.

Note: I'm not handy, and don't have tools, and attempting to fix this myself is likely to end in tears, but I'm willing to find tools and give it a try if someone can convince me it's laughably simple.

I'm going to the dealer tonight after work because it's supposedly still under the 1-year warranty.  In case they won't cover this (because it's used or whatever other excuse), can anyone point me toward diagnosis/repair tips?  A friend recommended contact cleaner (electronics-friendly cleaner) to spray in there and see if it loosens up... good idea/bad idea?

Thank you!

contact cleanser is a great call and would have been my recommendation. It evaporates so there shouldn't be any risk of it causing any damage. To be honest, if your plan is to claim it under warranty don't touch it. If they don't want to help then whack out the contact cleaner

• Thumbsup 2

On 5/8/2019 at 1:07 PM, bugie said:

contact cleanser is a great call and would have been my recommendation. It evaporates so there shouldn't be any risk of it causing any damage. To be honest, if your plan is to claim it under warranty don't touch it. If they don't want to help then whack out the contact cleaner

X2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
On 5/8/2019 at 9:04 AM, Steverino said:

Note: I'm not handy, and don't have tools, and attempting to fix this myself is likely to end in tears, but I'm willing to find tools and give it a try if someone can convince me it's laughably simple.

I'm going to the dealer tonight after work because it's supposedly still under the 1-year warranty.  In case they won't cover this (because it's used or whatever other excuse), can anyone point me toward diagnosis/repair tips?  A friend recommended contact cleaner (electronics-friendly cleaner) to spray in there and see if it loosens up... good idea/bad idea?

Thank you!

I know you say that you dont have any tools, surely you must have a screwdriver?  I would unscrew the housing for the switch and spray the sliding track on the inside to free up some of the grit.  Spraying the outside of the switch housing will probably do you little to no good.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

At the dealer they opened the housing and used WD-40. 😬 I would have preferred the contact cleaner everyone recommended, but the WD-40 seems to have done the trick... for now at least.