• Premium Member

A huge 👍for Matt and his fork cartridges and new shock sales.

Chose for my 2015 FJ his advanced fork cartridge set that included compression (I installed the adjustable screw in the bottom of the left leg so it can be accessed after partially unthreading the axle, the right cartridge compression is fixed) and rebound (with provision of right OEM fork cap and rod for the left tube) in both legs.  Matt also provided .95 Sonic springs and I blended my own 16 cst synthetic fluid.

I also bought Matt's K-Tech Razor R shock with his custom spacer for a Torrington bearing he also installs to ease setting spring preload.

So far with only about 500 miles to allow for wear-in, the results are VERY encouraging!  Whereas shock length was verified to be the OEM 330 mm (if I recall correctly), rear ride height seems a bit high which may be due to the stiffer spring which sags less (even with my standard Shad SH46 top case loaded).  This sense of an elevated rear could be heightened (pun intended) by the fact I had previously raised the fork stansions about 4 mm to quicken turn-in, which I will lower to stock fork height when I soon change tires (front and rear; the Dunlop RS3 have been great, again).

I thought the stock geometry due to the OEM suspension needed quicker response with less effort, which the new suspension offers without raised tubes, even with less dive under braking (320 mm R1 rotors and Brembo 2014 R1 master cylinder, and Vesrah RJL pads).  I dont get the longer GT swing arm but I come from sport bikes and think the FJ09 is a Barca Lounger for my retirement age damaged and arthritic joints.

Again, hats off to Matt even though his communication response may be slow his customer service is great and he seems to care.

20190510_191143.jpg

20190510_191243.jpg

20190510_191123.jpg

20190511_194532.jpg

20190430_190251.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

A huge 👍for Matt and his fork cartridges and new shock sales.

Again, hats off to Matt even though his communication response may be slow his customer service is great and he seems to care.

I have to agree with you. I got my forks done by Matt a few years ago and while at that point he was in way over his head and the service/ communication was spotty at best, the forks themselves are FANTASTIC!!

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I'm also a FbM customer, I had both the complete fork rebuilds and a new Nitron ordered through him. Yes it was a slow process, but in all fairness he warned me up front it probably would be. The end product was nothing less than stellar.  The FJ rides on rails now, I have utter confidence on technical mountain canyon roads with it and feels like I can totally explore the full potential of the FJ-09 with the upgraded suspension. The price point was very good and bang for the buck was impossible to beat. I'm happy with his work.

• Thumbsup 2
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
On 5/12/2019 at 11:14 AM, bamarider said:

Thats great to hear, because i would like to get his cartridges & springs for my forks, have already replaced the rear shock. Did the fork installation go smoothly? 

It depends on your Mechanical Aptitude setup tools jigs I tore down my Forks polish the tubes flushed the internals with cheap ATF reassembled everything Blended my own fluid as mentioned and set it up to my liking and I truly think it is exceptional bang for the buck

I think I may have posted how I did it in another thread but do your due diligence and look at some videos and get the tools you need and you shouldn't have a problem

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 5/25/2019 at 9:31 PM, bamarider said:

Placed my order for Matt's cartridge kit a few days ago, also rented his install tool kit that i thought was a good deal. I didn't get the compression adjustment option, but may have that added before he ships. @2and3cylinders would you recommend that option?

I opted for the adjustable compression and added a right fork cap with rebound for the left fork.  For the additional dosh I'd go for everything.  Fork fluid cSt (weight, given full synthetic) & air gap and spring selection is critical to set-up.  However, the FJ-09's full handling potential cannot be realized without a better shock.  Also, the brakes IMO are lacking and not that expensive to improve.  Also go for an ECU flash...  I could go on but...

Yea, if i had bought new i was going to go with the k-tech, but a fellow member had this one for sale and it had the correct spring installed so i got it. Looking forward to getting the forks set up right.