Speedometer error

Coop

• Supporting Member

I ride with a GPS 100% of the time and my bike always reads 2 mph higher than the GPS. The odometer also reads higher than my GPS after each ride, makes me wonder how many miles my bike actually has on the clock. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

It's very minimal compared to any other bike I've owned.  It's almost dead on with my GPS speed.  I'd trust it to actual speed under most circumstances.

Same here. First motorbike I've owned that was darn near spot-on for actual speed indicated. I've checked versus GPS, and run through a number of radar displays as well and it was always right on the money. At higher speeds I think it wanders off by a few MPH but not by much.

• Thumbsup 1
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

All of the bikes do this and the speed always marks higher than gps. I believe it is to ensure that you don't get caught out with speed guns i.e. you are always slower than you think you actually are.

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, bugie said:

All of the bikes do this and the speed always marks higher than gps. I believe it is to ensure that you don't get caught out with speed guns i.e. you are always slower than you think you actually are.

But if you are showing 105 on the speedometer and the DPS officer doesn't have his radar on.  Keep you mouth shut when he says I had you at 80 and lets you go.  Don't ask how I know this.  I have been a good boy on the Tracer. 

• Haha 1

I too always ride with gps. My speedometer is showing about 8% higher and odometer 1.5% higher than gps. Interestingly, the fuel consumption meter is showing about 10% lower than actual calculated from between fillups and corresponding milleage.

Even among the same models I see different error reported online so always do my own check with GPS or phone across the range of speeds that cover majority of my riding.

All of my Japanese vehicles have had slight speedo optimism with stock gearing. The only motorcycle I've had that was near-perfect out of the box was a KTM. Must be Austrian precision? :)   

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, betoney said:

I ride with a GPS 100% of the time and my bike always reads 2 mph higher than the GPS. 

Same here; Indicated is 2 mph faster than Actual across all speeds, per my Zumo 550.  Never had a bike that was spot on from the factory.  This one has the least amount of differentiation among bikes I've owned...so far.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

As the tire wears, the speedo and odometer will vary slightly.  I find the speedo much more accurate than the odometer.

My 2nd bike was dead accurate to about 50 mph then about 1 mph high for every 10 mph speed.  At extra legal speeds it was very optimistic.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Beware of the GPS for distance measurements because they sample the position periodically rather than continuously. That may not matter on a straight road, but if you are on a twisty road then the measured distance is less than that actually traveled. In other words, the GPS can "cut corners".

GPS speed measurements should be reliable when going straight. My speedometer matches the GPS speed pretty closely, or at least close enough that I don't look at the GPS speed.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch