Speedometer error

Coop

• Premium Member

My experience is similar to others above, about 2 mph high compared to the GPS.  Not bad, better than any other bike I've owned.

• Thumbsup 2

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

On 5/13/2019 at 10:19 AM, Luma46 said:

I too always ride with gps. My speedometer is showing about 8% higher and odometer 1.5% higher than gps. Interestingly, the fuel consumption meter is showing about 10% lower than actual calculated from between fillups and corresponding milleage.

Same for me, my speedometer registers a steady 8-9% higher than my GPS, all the time, whatever the speed.

• Premium Member

Mine seems to run somewhere between 2 and 3 MPH high.   I find it interesting that's it's a flat difference and not a percentage like many other bikes.

My FJ doesn't register anything under 3mph.   It's either 0mph or 3mph+.   At almost all speeds, the indicated speed was 2 or 3 mph higher than the GPS speed without any deviation.

Edit:  I also seem to have found my way into the GT discussions by clicking things from the sidebar.  Mine is a 2015, so it might be different from the newer GT models.

Are we talking FJ-09's and Tracers?  I'm talking Tracer GT.  I can't believe another GT speedometer would be off when mine is dead on with my GPS.  I see many FJ-09 posts in this forum.  The bikes are similar, but they're certainly not the same.  Again, my speedo is dead on to only slightly off at times to my Garmin 665.  It's possible the speedo has to be more accurate due to the cruise control, but who really knows for sure?

Edited by fjrpittsburgh

I finally have the gps hooked up and I'm getting 1 mph error.  I did learn one thing when you are going 66 mph and hit resume you better hold on.

13 minutes ago, Coop said:

I finally have the gps hooked up and I'm getting 1 mph error.  I did learn one thing when you are going 66 mph and hit resume you better hold on.

Hahaha.  Enjoy Coop!  Fun bike.

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, Coop said:

LOL!  Things happen FAST, don't they, Coop?  😁

• Thumbsup 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• Supporting Member
On 5/16/2019 at 6:22 PM, fjrpittsburgh said:

Are we talking FJ-09's and Tracers? 

Good point.  I saw the thread as recent activity, and didn’t notice it was in the Tracer GT section.   Mine is a 2015 FJ, and the 2 mph variance (indicated to GPS verified) seems like a common finding.  Not sure if that has changed with the newer Tracers or not... 

If I remember from my enforcement days all vehicle speedometers must over read - this is to avoid you using the defence that your speedo was under reading. Most will be up to 10% over - as digital ones become more common they are more accurate but they will still be programmed to over read - the gap gets larger the faster you go. 

2 hours ago, M.G said:

If I remember from my enforcement days all vehicle speedometers must over read - this is to avoid you using the defence that your speedo was under reading. Most will be up to 10% over - as digital ones become more common they are more accurate but they will still be programmed to over read - the gap gets larger the faster you go. 

Wasn't sure if it was a defense or to forestall liability but that's why I'm surprised when someone says a new vehicle is dead on.   

From Cycle World:

On testbikes we typically see an error of a few percent in the speedometer reading—at times up to 10 percent and always on the high side. This fudge factor can most likely be traced to ECE Regulation No. 39, which is a 14-page document detailing speedometer accuracy for vehicles sold in EU countries. According to this law, a speedometer can read high by as much as 10 percent plus 4 km/h at a specified test speed, but under no circumstances can the speedometer read low.

Speedometer accuracy is very dependent on tire diameter, which is affected significantly on a motorcycle by pressure, load, and temperature. These values are strictly defined in the regulation’s testing procedure, and the speedometer calibration must take these potential alterations into account. In addition, the manufacturers must consider the owner changing to non-standard tires, which may have a different diameter than the OEM fitment. In our last tire test, diameter of the seven rear tires tested varied by 2 percent, which directly affects the speedometer by the same amount. This also accounts for some of the discrepancy. Even with all these variables, however, the manufacturers do seem to be erring on the side of caution so the speedometer doesn’t read low.

geek_speedometer.jpg?itok=2K5Un2Xh
WWW.CYCLEWORLD.COM

Motorcycle speedometers aren't always accurate and sometimes need proper calibration. Here's why they aren't always accurate, and how you can correct them.

Edited by chitown
article link
  • Thanks 1

I was surprised that my GT is off significantly as compared to my Montana 650 GPS.  As much as 8 or 9 km at highway speed.  I'm working with 12 o'clock labs to see if their speedo corrector will work with this bike.  I'll post results.

• 1 month later...

Is there a fix for the error, I noticed first on my GPS when I was doing 140 kmh on the bike speedo, the gps registered a top speed of 130 kmh, and in highway traffic where I suspect people are driving at 110 kmh, the bike is reading around 120 kmh.  Today I checked against my car, had my son drive for 3 miles with the cruise set at 110 kmh and falling very close behind I was reading 117 - 118 kmh (as best I could to maintain a safe close distance) and at 100 kmh for three miles I was reading 107-108 kmh.

Now I know, but can this be adjusted?