GT ECU Flash

Has anyone with a Tracer GT had their ECU flashed.  I know Ivan has his coming out in a couple of months.  As of now, I'm waiting for his flash as I trust him from his history of improving bikes ride quality through flashing.

Vcyclenut has a flash available now, but I would like to see some positive reviews before choosing their update.

Please pass on any info you have on an updated ECU flash.  Vcyclenut's flash is $100 cheaper than Ivan's upcoming flash.

• Supporting Member

2wheeldynoworks

Many members here have had 2wheeldynoworks flash their ECU. I live relative close to them and have had my bike on Nels Dyno, they do amazing work and their customer service - during and after- is second to none. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I had mine flashed by Vcyclenut. I live in Ft. Laud., FL and he is in Ft. Myers so, I was able to go there and have him do a little tweaking also. He was very accommodating and helpful. I have also had dealings with 2wheeldynoworks. Bought my Yosh full exhaust from them. They were also great to deal with. Just wanted to have the flash done a little more locally in case of the extra tweaking.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Hi FJRP:  I had my Tracer GT flashed by Vcyclenut in February.  Live in NJ.  Had it back within a week by USPS.  I think it's much better than stock.  I ride in A 90% of time.  There's some on/off jerkiness in A from 3k-5k but otherwise perfect.  STD mode is smooth too.  I went w V based on price and his overall good reviews.  Happy w it.  Now have 5,500 miles on bike since purchased in Sept 2018.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
50 minutes ago, Luma46 said:

I am not sure why people tinker with their ECUs? I have it OEM, runs perfect without any hesitation in any gear or any RPM. More power than I could handle, good fuel consumption...

Read up on any modern bike forum and you will understand WHY people do it.  Its been a hot topic since EFI was introduced and even more necessary due to Euro emission standards, the bikes come lean and neutered from the factory.  If your bike runs fine without it, then you just saved yourself $300. 

If you gently roll the throttle on and off while riding at just the right rpm you might not notice anything, if you like more spirited riding and are heavier/quicker with the on/off throttle transition, an ECU flash works wonders!  YMMV.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Luma46 said:

I am not sure why people tinker with their ECUs? I have it OEM, runs perfect without any hesitation in any gear or any RPM. More power than I could handle, good fuel consumption...

It isn't the lack of power that pushes people toward an ECU tuning.  The GT has plenty of power.  It's the smoothness of the off and on throttle transitions.  If you read the websites of the ECU tuners, you can see the changes made which improve the ridability of a bike.  Improvements that make the throttle response smoother.  If you're happy with the GT the way it is, that's fine.  I choose to make mine better.  I spend a lot of time on my bikes and appreciate what some of the tuners have accomplished in ridability improvements.

• Supporting Member
44 minutes ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

It isn't the lack of power that pushes people toward an ECU tuning.  The GT has plenty of power.  It's the smoothness of the off and on throttle transitions.  If you read the websites of the ECU tuners, you can see the changes made which improve the ridability of a bike.  Improvements that make the throttle response smoother.  If you're happy with the GT the way it is, that's fine.  I choose to make mine better.  I spend a lot of time on my bikes and appreciate what some of the tuners have accomplished in ridability improvements.

^^^Exactly This^^^   Here are some of the benefits - listed on 2WDW website

– Disable Injector Decel Cut
– Professional fuel map modification to suit stock exhaust
– Removal of all gear based or speed dependent restrictions, TRE
– Optimized timing maps for 91+ octane
– Disable AIS valve (always closed)
– Reduce Fan Temps 205°F
– Speedometer Calibration
– Default to A-mode (If requested)
– ECU Based Quickshifter

• Like 1

For many,  "because I can" or "I like to tinker" is enough. 

Have had several bikes I didn't flash. But this sort of post reminds me of posts that can't understand why for many of us suspension is one of the first mods. But I don't ride hard, I'm not a Ricky Racer, I only commute,... If you haven't researched it or experienced it you might not realize there are benefits that are less obvious.

Flashed my FJ-09 to spite The Man that tried to put a speed limiter on my motorcycle! 

What we got to say (yeah)
Power to the people no delay
Make everybody see
In order to fight the powers that be

J/k it was mostly because I could and periodically tinkering with the bike tamps my urges to buy a different bike every few years. These days I don't throw money at fueling chasing power. Not that there's anything wrong with that, do what ya feel, but skipping a burger and beer is cheaper and more effective for most".

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, chitown said:

do what ya feel, but skipping a burger and beer is cheaper and more effective for most".

Skipping a burger and beer? - ABSOLUTE BLASPHEMY!!  🤣

• Thumbsup 4

Some people tune it to add fuel to the mid range where it is a little lean, smooth out the throttle as some has said. 

Personally, I don't find the fueling too bad on the GT. 

What does bug me a little is the delay between my right hand and the throttle valves. I'm used to bikes with traditional throttle cables, direct control. 

This will drive me to retune my bike at some stage, I'll go over the fueling and ignition maps while there, but main goal is a 1:1 throttle grip to throttle valves ratio. 

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, betoney said:

^^^Exactly This^^^   Here are some of the benefits - listed on 2WDW website

– Disable Injector Decel Cut
– Professional fuel map modification to suit stock exhaust
– Removal of all gear based or speed dependent restrictions, TRE
– Optimized timing maps for 91+ octane
– Disable AIS valve (always closed)
– Reduce Fan Temps 205°F
– Speedometer Calibration
– Default to A-mode (If requested)
– ECU Based Quickshifter

I think the speedometer calibration and improved quickshifter would be the only items of interest to me... I wonder if speedometer could be adjusted by some standalone method.

Ignition timing and fuel cut to reduce the on off throttle is the biggest improvement I'm looking for.  It makes the bike perform like it has a throttle cable instead of a computer chip turning fuel on and off.  This is the first bike I've had that was a little awkward to hold at a steady speed.  That is due to fuel cut.  The ECU flash would disable fuel cut.  It seems all the 900cc Yamaha triples can benefit greatly from an improved tuning of the ECU.

My friend has a FZ09.  He said after Ivan's flash, his bike is so much better.  Like night and day as he describes it.  Much easier to hold a steady speed without surging up and down.  Like I said, the bike is great as is, but I'm keeping this bike for many years.  I've ridden in every state East of the Mississippi and 7 states West on my FJR.  I want my GT to be the best it can be.  For a few hundred dollars, that's a gift I will enjoy for many years.

• Thumbsup 2