Desperate help

I'm sure what he is saying is the actual light shape the head light throws on the road is backwards to here in the states. As in driving on different sides. You can move our shape right to left and up and down but the shape of the light refraction from the lens inside the head lamp is different. Hard to explain but hopefully I got it across. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• 4 months later...

What was the final outcome on this topic. I have just imported a UK bike to Spain and I was also told the lights were symetrical and only one part number existed (excluding the colour options). I don´t wan´t to spend €900 for a new headlight so I would like to know if you got a bad ITV inspector or if there was actual evidence the lights were biased to the left. It´s hard to believe there is no horizontal adjustment.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Johnboy said:

It´s hard to believe there is no horizontal adjustment.

Do you have a newer Tracer or older FJ?  On the older FJ the knurled black knob adjusts the beam up and down and the silver screw adjusts them left and right.  I just discovered this myself yesterday.

Adjustment.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

It´s a 2017, but the photo you have attached looks identical to mine. Yes, I have the black four lobe adjuster at the end of an extension shaft (I understand this is CCW for up and CW for down). I also have the zinc coated castellated wheel nut and I am so glad to hear from you, that this is the horizontal adjustment. Do you know which direction for left and right? This could save me a fortune!

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, Johnboy said:

It´s a 2017, but the photo you have attached looks identical to mine. Yes, I have the black four lobe adjuster at the end of an extension shaft (I understand this is CCW for up and CW for down). I also have the zinc coated castellated wheel nut and I am so glad to hear from you, that this is the horizontal adjustment. Do you know which direction for left and right? This could save me a fortune!

Clockwise is Right. CCW is Left. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, betoney said:

.......and the silver screw adjusts them left and right.

Clockwise is Right. CCW is Left. 

Wasn't aware of any of this before now. I've learned something new - Again!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Wasn't aware of any of this before now. I've learned something new - Again!

Double ditto here too as well and also!   The Handbook talks of the black knurled knobs but no mention of the galv 'nuts'.  The day one doesn't learn something new is the day one is dead...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Thanks Betoney. Why Yamaha can´t put this in the manual I don´t know! You´ve been a lifesaver (money saver anyway). It´s good to see that others benefited from your findings too (I wonder how many people changed their headlight because they didn´t know)

What I am going to do now is line up the bike perpendicular to a wall and measure the left bias and then adjust to get the same bias to the right (I assume the height will be the same in all countries). This should get it past the government inspection.

Great help.......thanks again.

If you have any tips on setting the lights up correctly or a process to follow, I´m waiting :)

Just to share some more information. I have just heard back from a Yamaha dealer that the LHD and RHD is the same part number. Aparently there is a switch somewhere in the headlight for changing between the two. Once I have the information as to where the switch is, I will post.

Has anyone else heard about this switch? Do you know where it is? I guess it must be inside the light unit somewhere.

Life just gets better ;D

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Johnboy said:

Has anyone else heard about this switch? Do you know where it is? I guess it must be inside the light unit somewhere.

Actually, you are the first that I know of to report ANY issues with the headlights in ANY country, definitely never heard of anyone needing to swap out a light assembly or switch the active light to pass an inspection.  Sorry cant help you more with this issue. 

• 2 months later...