Quite possibly a stupid question

Ukblade

Hi,

Just bought my bike used from a non franchised dealer and was so excited to get it home I didn't ask them many questions.

The spotlights(?) don't work, there looks like a waterproof toggle switch on handlebars that doesn't do anything, whether ignition On, engine running, lights on main beam etc.

The dealer is a 2 hour drive back so I would like to try and sort myself.

I'm not even sure whether they're they spotlights, DRL's, or Fog lights.

I'd prefer them to come on with ignition and be DRL's but if they're not for that purpose then please any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

20190516_181209 (1024x653).jpg

Your first port of call should be to see if the spot lights, switch or even a fuse it the problem. The easiest way to do this is by using a voltmeter to check output

Welcome to the site, and I’m sure you’ll be able to find the source of the problem with some simple troubleshooting. Check the obvious...fuse, loose connection, bad switch, etc. 

Once you have them working, you should be able to use them as daytime running lights. 

Let us know what you find. We’ll help if we can. Just know in advance that the fuses for those lights might not be located in the main fuse box. There are some additional fuses located behind a panel on the right front of the bike. More details can be found with a couple of searches on the site. 

Duke

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Ukblade said:

20190516_181209 (1024x653).jpg

I cant add any more info to whats already been suggested, but I really like that color.  Its unique and goes well with the black forks.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Quickest way is to take the cover off the switch and check all terminals for 12V with one test lead held to ground/negative. Try this with ignition on, headlights on main beam. If no power, then you’ll have to follow the wires back and see where they’re plugged into, which determines the fuse.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

Since you are new to the Tracer, I'll state what is obvious to the rest of us. Those lights are not original equipment. Yamaha did not install them. A previous owner installed them. The dealer may not know anything about them. Therefore, you will have to do some debugging to find out where the power failure is. Use a voltmeter and measure as many points as you can access between the lights and the battery (fuse, switch, connectors, etc). 

Enjoy your new bike.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I suggest you trace the wiring and make sure the installation job was not some half-assed hack into the bike's wiring harness. If it looks manky I'd rewire the entire installation, making sure connections are solid and waterproof, especially grounds.

The fact the the lights don't work and the dealer didn't get them working pre-sale is a bit ominous.  But...

Once you sort out the problem you're in for the ride of your life!!

Welcome and keep asking questions. Folks here are true FJ / Tracer savants!

cb

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

One more thing to remember when troubleshooting: the FJ (and all newer Yami’s) have something called a Starting Circuit cut off relay. The headlights (except for the tiny strip of LEDS above the headlights) DO NOT illuminate untill the engine is started. This is by design so that there is more current available to start the bike, allowing smaller batteries to be spec-ed for a bike. 

The workaround, is to start the bike and let it briefly idle, then shut it off using the RH stop switch (not the key!) and this will allow the lights to stay on. 

Depending on how those driving lamps are wired, they may be part of that circuit. Just something to keep in mind, it may or may not pertain here...

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the On/Off switch on handlebars, I guess it's water has got in and corroded the terminals as if you press the switch with different pressure the lights flicker, come on, dim etc.

Thanks all.

• Thumbsup 2