Definitive: 193.5 mile fuel range

How do I know? The gas station was 195.5 miles from where I started.  I thought I would make it past 200 no problem. Columbia River gorge area in Washington state, averaging about 65 mph solo with full side bags.  Thought you would all benefit from my misfortune!  Still a great trip, I didn’t realize it but these were the same roads where the Tracer GT press launch happened. 

• Thumbsup 2

Range varies depending on your speed, headwinds, etc. I have made it 200 miles on one tank, but this morning I had the fuel warning flashing at 130 miles after running close to 90 mph into a headwind. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

I ran out at 189 last year and also was tantalizingly close to the next gas station.

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, kmev said:

Range varies depending on your speed, headwinds, etc. I have made it 200 miles on one tank, but this morning I had the fuel warning flashing at 130 miles after running close to 90 mph into a headwind. 

I have experienced the same, everywhere between 130-ish and 205 miles, -  the ride was A LOT more fun at the lower end of the range.  😎

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I’m glad to read this as it matches my experience.  Reading various posts describing 50 mpg and beyond makes me wonder how the hell people do it.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

5 hours ago, rustyshackles said:

I’m glad to read this as it matches my experience.  Reading various posts describing 50 mpg and beyond makes me wonder how the hell people do it.

I can get over 50 mpg all day long (according to the dash readout) as long as I'm cruising at 60 mph. I've found however, that only happens with this bike if I'm stuck behind traffic. 

I have pushed my share of bikes after running out of gas, too. It was mostly a Sportster with the 2-gallon tank I rode in the 1990s

• Supporting Member

I gotta hit the Blue Ridge Parkway and the West VA mountains more often.  My 52 mpg is way too high during my long-ass commuting...

• Thumbsup 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

On 5/19/2019 at 6:17 AM, Dave76 said:

IMG_1387.jpeg.8da037a0690df9b657cdabe2a26011ab.jpeg

Easy lol

Man those new dashes look nice....

• Thumbsup 4
  • Haha 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

On 5/18/2019 at 6:37 PM, funkspieler said:

How do I know? The gas station was 195.5 miles from where I started.  I thought I would make it past 200 no problem. Columbia River gorge area in Washington state, averaging about 65 mph solo with full side bags.  Thought you would all benefit from my misfortune!  Still a great trip, I didn’t realize it but these were the same roads where the Tracer GT press launch happened. 

I'm assuming you were heading East? Or West on a rare day in the Gorge with minimal wind? ( Man I hate running out of gas, only happened to me once on my HD- but it had 4 major breakdowns that left me standin' on the shoulder in the course of 80 plus thousand miles. Guess I'll adopt a bit of old school biker wisdom with the Tracer: " After 100 miles, NEVER pass up Gas or Ass" ; )

Thanks for posting, Man ( 65mph, hats off to you Bro, I couldn't do that unless there was WaSP sitting right on my tail!

Next time you're doing the Gorge, try the North side in Oregon. Much better ride

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Larz said:

Next time you're doing the Gorge, try the North side in Oregon. Much better ride

? The Oregon side is Interstate 84.  Unless you are talking about Columbia River Highway along the falls, but that is sloooow going filled with tourist traffic.  I’ve been through there a few times and while it was scenic,, it was bumper to bumper traffic. I much prefer 14 on the Washington side. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***