Definitive: 193.5 mile fuel range

5 hours ago, betoney said:

? The Oregon side is Interstate 84.  Unless you are talking about Columbia River Highway along the falls, but that is sloooow going filled with tourist traffic.  I’ve been through there a few times and while it was scenic,, it was bumper to bumper traffic. I much prefer 14 on the Washington side. 

Sorry about that, I did mean hwy 14 on the Washington side (apparent onset of senile dementia ). Usually baled for 84 at Biggs or White Salmon ( that' s funky bridge though) . I 84 is ok going East on a weekday if you need to make time

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, Larz said:

Sorry about that, I did mean hwy 14 on the Washington side (apparent onset of senile dementia ). Usually baled for 84 at Biggs or White Salmon ( that' s funky bridge though) . I 84 is ok going East on a weekday if you need to make time

I have been through there many times and taken every bridge across the Columbia at some point - Simply GORGEOUS area.  I actually dont mind taking I-84 through there due to the scenery, I usually pull get off I-84 in Mosier and ride Rowena Crest.

image.thumb.png.8b82349f650a56f8003e0b9eec55bc5e.png

image.thumb.png.3085dc55f185b8e932c4e09b2422073d.png

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I ran out of gas the first week I had my FJ.  I ignored the flashing fuel gage  just a bit too long.

My new attitude is as soon as it begins to flash, find a gas station fast!! 

To maximize range I stand the bike up straight when refueling and fill to above the baffle in the filler neck.

On a good day I might see 200 miles before doing it all again.

On an extended tour in unfamiliar areas this is one touring bike that I can see carrying a liter bottle of extra fuel.

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• 2 weeks later...

193.5 miles per tank is far from definitive.  How fast were you riding?  Headwind or tailwind?  Easy or hard on the starts from stop?  How many starts and stops?  What type of fuel?  I just rode from Buffalo, NY to Pittsburgh, PA in the rain.  Filled up the first time at 200 miles and still had half a gallon left.  I've also raced around on the twisties and was ready for a fill up around 175 miles.  Pro tip:  fill up before you run out of fuel.  😁

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

The more you ride the bike- the more of a "6th sense" you develop on how empty the gas tank is to miles racked up 😎...  I'm usually ready to start looking for a gas pump at 180miles normally... 

• Thumbsup 3
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
On 5/23/2019 at 7:23 AM, nhchris said:

On an extended tour in unfamiliar areas this is one touring bike that I can see carrying a liter bottle of extra fuel.

I don't necessarily feel the need to carry extra fuel for anywhere I go, but many times I have filled up much sooner if I know the next fuel stop might be a stretch.  Instead of filling up and trying to stretch it 220 miles for example, I might fill up and ride 50-60 miles then fill up again and not worry about the longer stretch or trying to do the whole distance on only one fill up.

• Thumbsup 3

That's a good strategy @betoney.

I am spoiled by my old ST 1300's 7.2 gal tank and 45 mpg.  I could do 300 miles before refueling. I usually had to piss well before I need gas!

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

The Garmin Zumo series GPS devices have a built in Up-Ahead app.  In previous models if you tried to search for nearby gas stations it would do a circular search based on your current location and that might mean you'd have to turn around to get to the closest gas but you didn't really know how far that was until you selected one and added to your route finding out that station 5 miles away has a canyon in between and may take 50 miles to get there.

The up-ahead app looks at your route and stations in front of you and close to your route... MUCH better and you can easily see if they are popular stations and many or a mom/pop place you may not trust.  This feature is also in some other Garmin devices:

• Thumbsup 3

Not only speed but hills, headwinds, dirty air from other vehicles, even altitude all have varying levels of negative impact on MPG.  Obviously not just the weight but the wind profile of side cases doesn't help, and certain types/configurations of windscreen may help or hurt as well.  My best tank so far has been 205mi at just over 45MPG, with half a gallon remaining; but as we are all so fond of saying... YMMV 🙃

I'm actually surprised how consistent the MPG is on this bike.  I've done an intentionally strenuous and an intentionally gentle tank to see what would happen, and only got as high as 46 and as low as 42 MPG.  When I don't pay attention to how hard I'm riding, it seems to stay pretty damn consistent around 43~45.  Mix of city, highway, canyons, and alternately riding like a grandpa/hooligan.

• Thumbsup 1

Hello all!

I'l have to do an introduction post  at some point, but saw this thread and wanted to chime in.

First leg of an 800 mile long trip a week after I got the bike, and did 209.9 miles.  F Trip said 20.9 miles before I filled up.  This was 2-up and loaded with side cases and top case, in windy conditions.  Wasn't trying to see how far I could make it...I actually had no choice as we were in the middle of nowhere :)

- Paul

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 10:22 AM, Steverino said:

Not only speed but hills, headwinds, dirty air from other vehicles, even altitude all have varying levels of negative impact on MPG.  Obviously not just the weight but the wind profile of side cases doesn't help, and certain types/configurations of windscreen may help or hurt as well.  My best tank so far has been 205mi at just over 45MPG, with half a gallon remaining; but as we are all so fond of saying... YMMV 🙃

I'm actually surprised how consistent the MPG is on this bike.  I've done an intentionally strenuous and an intentionally gentle tank to see what would happen, and only got as high as 46 and as low as 42 MPG.  When I don't pay attention to how hard I'm riding, it seems to stay pretty damn consistent around 43~45.  Mix of city, highway, canyons, and alternately riding like a grandpa/hooligan.

I thought the same thing prior to my trip up to Idaho and back- really consistent mileage. However, I ran Hwy 93 from Challis to just short of Hamilton Mt pretty much in third gear and the  "Orange"  the whole time: 35.4 MPG. Coming back on I-15 thru Utah- strong headwind, 80 mph speed limit ( everyone doing 90 and I like to pass peeps) fuel warning light came on at 130 miles ;>(

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member
37 minutes ago, Larz said:

I ran Hwy 93 from Challis to just short of Hamilton Mt pretty much in third gear and the  "Orange"  the whole time: 35.4 MPG.

That area through Idaho is VERY nice, the shenanigans are worth the lower fuel economy.  👍

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, betoney said:

That area through Idaho is VERY nice, the shenanigans are worth the lower fuel economy.  👍

Some of my favorite asphalt :>) 

I turned back into Idaho at Lolo. Lolo pass and hwy 12 are must do in the next 2 years or so- they just repaved Lolo pass ( very nice) and a lot of 12 is still good from recent repaving; Lost Trail pass still sucks on the Idaho side, however.

• Thumbsup 1