How to "hold" spark plug in socket during removal/installation?

Jibjab

I'm in the process of installing new spark plugs in my FJ and I'm wondering how others solved the problem of how to make sure the spark plug remains in the socket upon removal and installation, and doesn't fall out during the process. Inside the spark plug socket I have is a rubber sleeve and at the end is a recessed rubber hole in the socket where normally the cap on the top of the spark plug pushes into. The tension the recessed hole puts on the top of the spark plug cap keeps the plug in the socket so you can remove or install a plug without it falling out of the socket.

Using the OEM NGK plugs they do not come with a screwed on plug at the top of the spark plug that would push into this recessed hole in the inside top of the socket. Rather, these plugs just come with bare screw threads at the top of the spark plug. So if I put one of these new spark plugs in the socket and turn it upside down, the plug just falls out of the socket.  Likewise, if there's a spark plug installed in my FJ that doesn't contain the cap, then when I unscrew and remove it, it would just fall out of the socket. All spark plugs I've ever dealt with in the past have had screw caps, not just bare screw threads exposed at the top of the spark plugs.

So, how have others worked around this problem? DO I need a special socket? I'm not sure if the spark plug already installed in the FJ has a socket cap or not, so I don't want to try removing it and not be able to get it out of the engine sleeve. If the plugs installed by Yamaha have these caps, are we just supposed to remove the caps from the old plugs and install them on the new ones?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how others have addressed this issue.

I have probably three 5/8" spark plug sockets laying around the garage that came with various tool sets. They have a rubber grommet that grips the ribbed body of the plug, not the very tip that it sounds like you're referring to. No problem changing plugs on bikes at the end of many extensions over the years :)

Edited by chitown
typo

Just looking around the garage and if my spark plug wrench didn't have a grommet that worked... for removal once loose with the socket, fish out with magnetic pick up tool. The threaded tip of the plug is magnetic. For installing, a piece of scrap vacuum line I had here that appears to be ID 5/16 would work to get it started, finish with the socket. 

• Premium Member

If you old plugs have the threaded caps on them but new plugs don't, you will want to transfer them to the new plugs for proper electric connection.

I have a little parts bin drawer full of them!

As stated above, a length of small dia. rubber hose can be used to extract or install the plugs. Magnet on a stick or claw grabber pickup tool do the trick too.

ALWAYS check that the plugs are properly gapped before installing.

Thanks much for the suggestions! I actually found a magnetic socket with a swivel extension from AutoZone that should do the trick to keep the plug from falling out. In the reviews, people swear by the magnetic feature to keep the plug in the socket so I think I'll give that a shot. Thanks again!

Yep, that's best of all as long as you don't mind spending a few bucks. I'd probably own one by now but plugs seem to last forever for me on modern vehicles.

The motorcycles I've changed plugs on have used bare thread terminals, no caps. 

Now you don't have to MacGruber it. MacGruber -- like MacGyver but drunk! 

Edited by chitown