Knock off copies

• Premium Member
We have had 2 cases where people have declared frame numbers where the number has already been declared.

Please make sure you only buy a bike from a reputable dealer as it is possible that someone is making cloned copies. The bike is very popular and there are many backorders, so this does not surprise me. 

The alternative is that some of these bikes are owned by myopic idiots. No, that's not possible: there must be cloned bikes.

This has been a public service announcement by @wessie on behalf of the management. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Mine is a duplicate (000256). It has a sticker and is etched onto the frame at the head on the right side if sitting on the bike. Westfield Motorsports is a reputable company.
have you tried messaging the other alleged owner asking if he/she is a myopic idiot?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I am the owner of the 00256 and Yes I am aware of the knock- offs that's why I bought my bike from a legit yamaha dealer actually I got already a mail from yamaha confirming of my ownership of this beautiful bike. Hope everyone will have a good riding experience coz I will be starting mine shortly .

Would it be possible that Yamaha treats FJ-09(US) and MT-09 Tracer(Euro) as two different models and each model would have its own VIN series? That could explain the duplicate VIN report as there are both FJ and Tracer owners in this forum.

We have had 2 cases where people have declared frame numbers where the number has already been declared. 
Please make sure you only buy a bike from a reputable dealer as it is possible that someone is making cloned copies. The bike is very popular and there are many backorders, so this does not surprise me. 

The alternative is that some of these bikes are owned by myopic idiots. No, that's not possible: there must be cloned bikes.

This has been a public service announcement by @wessie on behalf of the management. 
My english is not as perfect to be sure. Therefore seriously asked: Is this serious that there should be cloned bikes? Or is it simply a joke, a gag? 
If there are duplicates of frame numbers: Are there counterfeit Yamaha FJ-09 (aka MT-09 Tracer)? Or do all come definitely out of Yamaha's factories?

• Premium Member

My english is not as perfect to be sure. Therefore seriously asked: Is this serious that there should be cloned bikes? Or is it simply a joke, a gag? 
If there are duplicates of frame numbers: Are there counterfeit Yamaha FJ-09 (aka MT-09 Tracer)? Or do all come definitely out of Yamaha's factories?

My mission in life is to get the rest of the world to understand British irony. Yes, I'm joking.

However, frame numbers should be unique regardless of where sold. Many bikes cross borders during their life and it would not work to have duplicate frame numbers as this is the unique identifier that stays with a bike whether it is registered in the UK, Ireland, Canada or all of them during its lifespan. 

So, for those declaring identical numbers please check your registration documents and bike frame as people do make mistakes, including in the factory. Your factory warranty will be attached to the frame no. on Yamaha's computer system and if you go on holiday to another country this is the number the local service people will use to trace your records if you need service. 

My mission in life is to get the rest of the world to understand British irony. Yes, I'm joking. 

I'm curious as to what you'll get up to on  April 1st 8D 
I've been a tad worried why my number is so high, I've checked, I'm not myopic but am dyslexic - I've written it correctly, was relieved a bit to see a Norwegian bike with a high number too.

I found this. Wonder if we should all check the 11th digit to see if there are different manufacturing plants. My Canadian model has an "A" for 11th digit. First 5 digits are JYARN

Instructions

Find the VIN on your motorcycle. If you have a traditional motorcycle, it will be on the right side of the steering stem, just below the handlebars. If you have a scooter, check the stem. If it's not there, it will be on a metal plate affixed to the frame.

Make sure none of the digits are missing from the VIN. All Yamaha motorcycles made after 1982 have 17-digit VINs. If yours appears to be shorter, some of the digits probably have worn off. Rub the gaps in the VIN with the side of a crayon.

Determine what your VIN means by the order of the characters. The first character will tell you where your motorcycle is made. "1" or "4" signifies it is American made; "2" means Canada; "3" means Mexico; and Japan, Korea, England, Germany, Italy and Brazil are "J," "K," "S," "W," "Z" and "9," respectively. The second character represents the manufacturer. All Yamaha bikes should have "C" there.

Find the third digit, which identifies the division that manufactured it.

Find digits four through eight, which identify the features of the bike.

Find the ninth digit, which is a security key to ensure that the VIN is valid.

Find the 10th digit, which indicates the model year. These digits run "J" through "Y" for 1988 through 2000 and then switch to a numerical system.

Translate the final seven digits as follows: Digit 11 is the plant where the bike was assembled; digits 12 to 17 signify the order in which the bikes came off the assembly line.

Find this handy VIN decoder. The 11th digit A shows Japan for plant code....
http://vindecoder.eu/yamaha

2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Archived