+1 T9GT in CA

Look at this thing.  Ridiculous.  I love it.  I admit it, I have wanted a big GS/A (be it 1150, 1200, now 1250) for years.  I barely even looked at most of the other offerings out there in the ADV category, or even in the big sport touring category, because it felt like if I was going to spend $20k OTD on a bike anyway, might as well spring the extra couple thousand and skip away on a BMW.

Then my friend who rides an FJ-09 said, "hey.  Look at these stats."

Oh, snap.  Everything I wanted from a GS, in a T9GT package, included standard, and I was lucky enough to find this one used with only 1,800mi on the clock at $12k OTD.  All I ever dreamed of in a bike for half the cost of a similarly equipped GS with the same mileage.  Sure, it's "only" an 847cc engine, but it's enough power that I get myself into trouble consistently, so I'm sure it's enough.  The extra 350cc a BMW gives you is probably good for carrying the extra 150lb of bike.  Hah!

I still think the GS is an awesome line of bikes, but I can't justify them knowing the Tracer is around, and I'm so glad to have gotten one at this price.  Previous owner was a motor cop, and I know he babied it because the computer showed an average MPG of 50mpg with no resets when I took delivery.  He also did me the favor of putting on the euro LED upgrade and a steering damper.

The laughably tall windscreen with additional clip-on is courtesy of myself, because I'm 6'3 and change, and fit on literally no bike.  My legs scrunch on this thing like it was a sportbike (I'm all legs).  I'm a little worried how much the thing gets rocked by the wind, looks like it's gonna rip off and take the mounting hardware with it, but I also have cosmic-level tinnitus and not willing to let it get worse so wind protection/sound protection is my #1 priority.

Welp, I've gone on long enough.  This is a tolerable picture of it I think.  Coming up with a name has been difficult, thinking of a video game homage because I'm a super duper nerd and there is an appropriate reference to be found, and the alternate candidate name was a little too dark (reference to the boat used to ferry the dead to Hades seemed a little too on-the-nose for an activity like motorcycling).

Anyway, hi!!

t9gt.jpg

You are indeed a lucky fellow, Steverino - that's a beauty!   I have owned several GSs over the years, one x 1150, then several 1200s up to and including my last 2016 model, and IMHO they are unbeatable as long-distance tourers, although I never ever went off-road.   But they are heavy and bulky brutes, although your height may make it easier to cope with than I experienced.   An ideal set-up would be to have a GS in the garage for touring, plus a GT for all other uses!   

In my experience with both bikes, the ergonomics of each are very similar - see <cycle-ergo> - which makes the Tracer very comfortable for me at 5'9" + a bit (1770mm).

Enjoy the new bike!   And PS - Charon's ferry-boat did not have a name IIRC...

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

6 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

You are indeed a lucky fellow, Steverino - that's a beauty!

Thank you, sir!  I'd still love to experience a GS in the stable one day, but unless I can turn my career on its head, the cost of ownership will make it impossible.  ;) The Tracer is filling my needs (and my soul!) for now.  Cheers!