MPG Display Flabbergastingly Inaccurate

A lot of the fuel used accuracy depends on how much you top off the tank.  I put as much as I can squeeze in.  I don't care about the fuel used or mpg displayed on the dash.  Who really cares?  When it's time to fill up, I fill up.  Those things aren't accurate on cars either.  I double checked my speedo against my Garmin Zumo 665 GPS.  The speedo on the bike is always about 1 mph faster than I'm actually riding.  I don't get why I see other posts of other GT owners saying that there speedo is way off.  Mine is a USA GT if that matters at all.

• Thumbsup 2

I suppose when it comes down to it, all I really want out of the MPG readout is a sense of how hard I'm running.  In broad strokes, if I see ~45ish on there, I know I'm cruising pretty medium-ish on the freeway, as a benchmark.  If I see 35ish, I know I'm pushing a little too hard (if I'm worried about eco) due to a hill, or high speed wind resistance, etc.  If I see 60ish+, I know I'm sitting pretty and will get a good tank this time around.  😎

I'm not really going to change the way I ride over a matter of 3 or 4 MPG on the readout, just a minor frustration that I'm already over.

Yes, most all bikes are optimistic in reading the speed and fuel consumption. I had only one bike that was fully accurate in all readings - 2009 BMW 1200RT. My previous bike 2016 Africa Twin was +9% on speed, but bang on on fuel consumption amd fuel used.

32 minutes ago, Luma46 said:

Yes, most all bikes are optimistic in reading the speed and fuel consumption. I had only one bike that was fully accurate in all readings - 2009 BMW 1200RT. My previous bike 2016 Africa Twin was +9% on speed, but bang on on fuel consumption amd fuel used.

Very true.  Some bikes are off slightly, while others are off 10%.  Once you know what the actual speeds are compared to your indicated speed, you just go ride and enjoy.  Don't sweat the little stuff.  Go for a couple of 300 to 400 mile day rides and enjoy the fun ridability of the Tracer GT.

• Thumbsup 4

• 3 weeks later...

Glad it is not just me, never had a bike with a fuel gauge on the dash. Just a yellow warning light that comes on brilliant,

my Honda FireBlade did 25 miles when the Yellow light came on with normal riding you could get 30 miles if you rode it

very slowly NO problem. Had loads of sports bikes the same and never run out of fuel.

My Tracer 900 GT does 130 miles and the fuel gauge has not moved from full ........ !!!!!!!!!!!

15 miles later it is on 1/2 full, ........ 15 miles later it is on 1/4 full then you dare not take your eyes of the dash.

WHAT  milage have you got left ( about ) when you drop to the LAST FLASHING BLUE SQUARE on the fuel gauge.

Cheers  Edgar Jessop.

• Supporting Member

I save myself the headache and just use Trip 1 as a tank mileage meter and fill up around 200 miles or so.  So far, I'm getting 52 mpg per tank for my commuting mileage.  That gives me about 240+ total miles per tank, give or take a few.  The 40-mile buffer helps with finding a gas station without much worry.

I use Trip 2 as a chain lube meter and do that gig every 300-400 miles or so.

Now, if I could hardwire a LAAW rocket platform to the GT for the idiot cagers on the road in my area, I'd be golden . . . 

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• Premium Member

I also wonder if the fuel itself is affecting the fuel economy computer.   If the original numbers were tested on non ethanol fuel and we're using the blend with up to 10% ethanol, we'd see reduced mileage vs. what's being computed based on volume.  Also winter vs summer blends.  I seem to do better commuting in winter, but it could be the colder denser air.

I have one gas station about 100 miles away that sells straight 93 octane fuel without the ethanol.  My gut tells me I'm getting better mileage, but given that this stop is in the mountains, my right wrist and a lack of actual evidence are in contradiction with my feelings of fuel economy.

I'm using non-ethanol 91 octane here in Wisconsin while visiting and the MPG reading on the bike is still 5 - 10% off.  

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, superfist said:

but given that this stop is in the mountains, my right wrist and a lack of actual evidence are in contradiction with my feelings of fuel economy.

Mountain twisties = fuel economy be damned!   The right wrist has a mind of its own. 👍

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, betoney said:

Mountain twisties = fuel economy be damned!   The right wrist has a mind of its own. 👍

Spoken like a true prophet, Dude.  😉

• Thumbsup 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

Too be honest I've never really cared about fuel consumption on my bikes. They're essentially toys. As long as I have a rough idea of how far I can go on a full tank that's all I need to know.

I never trust in-vehicle fuel consumption gauges. The only way to properly measure consumption is to fill the tank, ride until almost empty, fill the tank again and check based on distance travelled against fuel put in. This I do with my car, but never on the bike.

CS

Edited by captainscarlet
Correction
  • Thumbsup 4

Why is everyone so interested in seeing how far they can go on fuel - fill it up and get 3/4 of a tank down and fill it up again !  We are riding 115bhp modern bikes with luggage and other half’s at spirited speeds (most of us) and getting in the region of 50-60 MPG - , are we not setting our sights too high ?  I am just on my last day of a Europe tour (3000km in 6 days) it’s nearly 40c and I’m happy to say that my GT is at least 10% more efficient than the Triumph Tiger 800 and the Africa Twin  that I’m with and I’m going faster then both of them !  I’m more than happy with what my fun bike can do 👍

• Premium Member
On 6/26/2019 at 11:34 AM, whistler said:

I save myself the headache and just use Trip 1 as a tank mileage meter and fill up around 200 miles or so.  So far, I'm getting 52 mpg per tank for my commuting mileage.  That gives me about 240+ total miles per tank, give or take a few.  The 40-mile buffer helps with finding a gas station without much worry.

I use Trip 2 as a chain lube meter and do that gig every 300-400 miles or so.

Now, if I could hardwire a LAAW rocket platform to the GT for the idiot cagers on the road in my area, I'd be golden . . . 

Good idea about Trip 2 but as I usually do 300-400 mile days, I keep receipts and a odo photo log.

LAAWs are ancient tech.  There are F&F* rockets the size of road flares that'll stop an APV if not a "tank".  Eazi-peezi to rig up a dozen...

I have a fastest red 15 that at 30k miles is finally getting more than 42 mpg if I restrain my right wrist and not run the barn door Givi w-spoiler.  Weird amount of time to wear-in.  I use the gauges as gauges on which to base my concern about running out.  I have a 98 VTR1000F with 110k miles and only 4 gallons to spend 33 miles at best on each.  I ride because I don't like walking, let alone pushing a bike in 90F.  Oddly, the VTR died spectacularly on 94 south of 142 recently, first time since I bought it new, within only 6 miles of the Orange Light of Death going on.  That's well less than half what it should have, even on the Ethanol laced crap they call gas here. 

It's funny "Mike" mentioned ethanol-free hi-test, which IMO may be why my FJ has improved recently, because I've only had time to ride up to East Troy and Palmyra, WI; in Walworth and Jefferson counties where "pure" 91-93 premium can be had.  Nearest to me in Skokie according to Pure-Gas.org other than Cottage Grove...

I carry 1 if not 2 camp size gas bottles when on "tour".

Didn't know the GTs had gallons remaining read-out; niffty.

But I'll still keep my well modded 15 cuz it's the biz to me.  FI, TC, ABS, more than 2 jugs, gas gauge, air and engine temp, heated grips OEM controlled, mpg, USD forks and about the same weight as my VTR.  Though I'll never sell my VTR, it just blows the FJ away with sneaky fast grunt and top speed, and sounds better doing it...  It's just my bod can't take it on tour anymore.

*Fire & Forget

10 hours ago, M.G said:

Why is everyone so interested in seeing how far they can go on fuel.........

........... I am just on my last day of a Europe tour (3000km in 6 days) it’s nearly 40c and I’m happy to say that my GT is at least 10% more efficient than the Triumph Tiger 800 and the Africa Twin  that I’m with and I’m going faster then both of them !  I’m more than happy with what my fun bike can do 

Seems like you're also pretty interested in how your fuel consumption is doing. 

😋

CS