Sign in to follow this  
denjy

SAT NAV

On 7/5/2019 at 5:15 PM, countersteer said:

I have a Garmin Zumo 660 (discontinued) and had an earlier model Zumo prior to that.  My favorite feature is being able to construct a multi day trip in strange territory on my PC and then load onto the GPS.  My quest for the twistiest road segments has sometimes landed me in places that were less than ideal, but all in all it's worked very well.  Last time I looked, I couldn't find a phone app that matched the trip planning functionality of the Garmin software.  Perhaps that's changed?

I also have a 660 and found that when wearing hi-viz gear I could barely see the screen and as previously mentioned it became a serious distraction and trying to do routes or tracks in Basecamp was a PITA. I have Osmand installed on my phone as my GPS app and do all of my route planning in Furkot. I can do a route in Furkot in a few minutes, send it to my phone and be done with it. Once you spend a little time with the program it becomes clear(to me anyways) that I will not be aggravating my life with Basecamp anymore. Now I have a waterproof case for the phone so I am confident that the GPS will be collecting dust in my gear cabinet.

Cheers

I see the screen OK but agree about Basecamp.  It's predecessor (Map Source) was way better.  I'll give Osmand and Furkot a try.  Thanks for the tip

On 7/10/2019 at 12:57 PM, krillz said:

A cell phone is a horrible idea for me. I ride where there is no service what so ever. I use a nuvi 2555. I also have gloves that work for devices. I’ve rode in the rain while using it  still works  

Try Garmin Base Camp app on your PC to pre load routes. 

GPS doesn't require cellular data or signal so should work the same on your phone as it does on your nuvi

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bugie said:

GPS doesn't require cellular data or signal so should work the same on your phone as it does on your nuvi

1 hour ago, bugie said:

Sounds like it should. But doesn’t. I’ve never seen anyone turn on, say google maps and route home when there is no service. Doesn’t work where I ride. AT ALL

Edited by krillz