Tracer GT vs Super Tenere - suspension

I wonder if somebody could compare the GT or Tracer/FJ vs Super Tenere suspension in terms of softness/handling on rough roads. Some 90% of my riding is on secondary backroads where the pavement is usually very rough, lots of frost heaves and poorly repaired potholes. I do enjoy the GT, but the suspension, both front and rear is killing me.

I've had a Tenere for around 5 years now and the suspension is definitely more forgiving than the GT... but, that's what it's made for.. the GT is a Sport Tourer by design.  The Tenere does a great job of soaking up stuff that would rattle your teeth on the Tracer.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, Luma46 said:

I wonder if somebody could compare the GT or Tracer/FJ vs Super Tenere suspension in terms of softness/handling on rough roads. Some 90% of my riding is on secondary backroads where the pavement is usually very rough, lots of frost heaves and poorly repaired potholes. I do enjoy the GT, but the suspension, both front and rear is killing me.

The FJ/Tracer isn't known for having stellar suspension - budget components.  The good news is these bikes can be made to ride VERY nicely whether you want comfort for touring or control for sport riding.  Personally, I upgrade the suspension on every bike I own, personalized to suit my needs.  Just like a seat, I don't want a one-size-fits-noone-perfectly off the shelf solution.  I went to a custom seat shop, got measured/fitted and had one built just for ME and my dimensions, suspension is the same, I talked to a suspension shop and discussed my wants and needs and had them build it to suit ME and the type of riding I do. 

Proper spring rate is important but the important part is the internal valving, it can make or break the way a bike rides and handles.  I once asked a suspension builder what was so special about Ohlins suspension, he said "bling and marketing, - ANYONE can make suspension that rides like Ohlins, - the magic is the internals!".

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

5 hours ago, bugie said:

Have you tried playing with the suspension settings to make it softer?

Yes I did, I have all damping close to minimum (soft).  On other hand I am 185 lb guy (without gear) so I cannot ride with minimum preload and side cases attached. 

I have a Super Tenere also; the suspension on the S10 is a lot more comfortable on rough roads. It is made for off road, and handles rough pavement with ease. I find the stock suspension on the GT to be quite good for me, once I adjusted for proper preload, but it is a suspension designed for sport bike use on normal pavement, and is never going to be as compliant as the S10.

I have a GT and a '16 Super Tenere that I bought new. The Tenere has better suspension, much smoother ride on rough roads and more adjustments to accommodate loads and conditions, also 2 inches more travel front and rear.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

8 hours ago, betoney said:

Proper spring rate is important but the important part is the internal valving, it can make or break the way a bike rides and handles.  I once asked a suspension builder what was so special about Ohlins suspension, he said "bling and marketing, - ANYONE can make suspension that rides like Ohlins, - the magic is the internals!".

I live near Riverglade, NB motocross race track and there is a local guy here who does suspensions, I understand  mostly for dirt bikes and quads. Will talk to him and see if he can help me somehow...

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, Luma46 said:

I live near Riverglade, NB motocross race track and there is a local guy here who does suspensions, I understand  mostly for dirt bikes and quads. Will talk to him and see if he can help me somehow...

Keep us posted on what he suggests. We can offer advise and experience to the mix. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

37 minutes ago, gv550 said:

I have a GT and a '16 Super Tenere that I bought new. The Tenere has better suspension, much smoother ride on rough roads and more adjustments to accommodate loads and conditions, also 2 inches more travel front and rear.

How is the ST for overall riding comfort. Seating position, leg room, is it much higher than GT to reach the ground? I was seriously looking into ST, but then I sold my 2016 Africa Twin last February and being "bikeless" I bought the GT without test riding it, based on reviews, features and mainly the weight. I am 72 so handling a heavy bike might be an issue.

The Tenere is more comfortable due to extra legroom, smoother ride and less engine vibration. Wind protection is better and longer fuel range and shaft drive make it a great touring bike. It's 100 lbs heavier and carries it's weight way high so can be quite a handful . The seat is higher but a low seat is available along with lowering links for the suspension, but I have long legs so not an issue for me.

The Tracer is just way more fun! More power, less weight, crisper handling, quick shifter, and ooooh....... the sound of that CP3 when on the throttle! After riding Tracer for a few days makes the Tenere feel like a slug.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

Personally find I can just about flat foot on GT same as S10 with low seat height, did 40,000 miles on S10 over 4 years and yes the suspension is softer and more forgiving on the country lanes around here, the GT is more sporty but not uncomfortable.

There is a bend with 2 large raised sections (road repairs) which I am more wary of on GT at speed compared to S10 but then the S10 was so heavy it flattened them lol!

Note biker came off on this bend and lost her leg a while back so an extreme example!

Obviously a Super Tenere is going to have better suspension for rough roads or offroad.  The Tracer GT suspension is perfect for road riding.  Much improved over the stock FJ-09 or the base Tracer model.  The GT has fully adjustable suspension.  I find it to be very solid for around town and in the high speed twisties.  You do want to experiment with suspension settings for your individual weight and riding style.  Surprisingly, the owner's manual has the standard settings listed and how to adjust the forks and rear end.  At 180 lbs, the standard settings weren't all that bad for me.  I just had to tweak the settings a little through trial and error.