Air filter out..any other jobs while I’m there?

BBB

I’ m changing my air filter (which was absolutely filthy) for a K&N version. While all the gubbins are off in that area I’m going to adjust the APS and take the foam off the underside of the tank.

Has anyone done anything with the “snorkel” that projects down from the air filter lid? I think I’ve read about people doing something with it, but I’m unsure what they do and why they do it?

And while I’m here, is there anything else to do? I don’t fancy trying to balance the throttle bodies, I’ll save that as a winter task.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, BBB said:

I’ m changing my air filter (which was absolutely filthy) for a K&N version. While all the gubbins are off in that area I’m going to adjust the APS and take the foam off the underside of the tank.

Has anyone done anything with the “snorkel” that projects down from the air filter lid? I think I’ve read about people doing something with it, but I’m unsure what they do and why they do it?

And while I’m here, is there anything else to do? I don’t fancy trying to balance the throttle bodies, I’ll save that as a winter task.

There shouldnt be anything else to do in there.  I removed the front foam area but havent heard anything about the snorkel. 

Adjusting the APS makes a noticeable difference in throttle smoothness, factory setting should be 17, I adjusted mine down to 12.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Ah, just the front foam area, not all of it then?

And for FZ 09 by vcyclenut

7519720.jpeg?292

First step, collect the correct tools:  The list is remarkably small,  4mm allen...

And link to the foam removal, to put things in one thread.

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, BBB said:

Knew I’d read it somewhere...

Decided to change the snorkel so that it flows air better across the air filter...

Post up your results when finished.  I will have the airbox open to clean the filter after my road trip next week, I might need to pull out the Dremel tool for some minor surgery.  😎

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I went ahead and cut the snorkel. I figure I can always glue the cut piece back on again if there’s a problem.

I put some tape on to give me a guide line and then used a cut-off disc in a Dremmel. Then just tidied up the edges with emery cloth. I’m hoping to get a ride in tomorrow to report back.

I adjusted the APS down to 14 in DIAG 14 and 12 in DIAG 15 (after a fruitless five minutes trying to get into diagnostic mode, before I realised I had the ECU out 🤪). 

So, new K&N filter, adjusted APS, removed foam from under tank and shortened the snorkel. Good fun fiddling, with hopefully some upside.

8B325E8D-D66D-4623-88E4-FE062B623CC9.jpeg

2CEA3F93-1C01-4ACF-8BFF-56F107CF45F8.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
On 5/26/2019 at 11:55 AM, BBB said:

I went ahead and cut the snorkel. I figure I can always glue the cut piece back on again if there’s a problem.

I put some tape on to give me a guide line and then used a cut-off disc in a Dremmel. Then just tidied up the edges with emery cloth. I’m hoping to get a ride in tomorrow to report back.

I adjusted the APS down to 14 in DIAG 14 and 12 in DIAG 15 (after a fruitless five minutes trying to get into diagnostic mode, before I realised I had the ECU out 🤪). 

So, new K&N filter, adjusted APS, removed foam from under tank and shortened the snorkel. Good fun fiddling, with hopefully some upside.

8B325E8D-D66D-4623-88E4-FE062B623CC9.jpeg

2CEA3F93-1C01-4ACF-8BFF-56F107CF45F8.jpeg

I just opened mine up to check air filter ,,found a small puddle of  motor oil in there with a fw metal shavings ,,the oil looked brand new ,bike has 12K miles ,,weird ,,so was thinking of also cutting snorkel ,,did it help ,or can you even tell,,I did it on Mt 07 and made it pretty loud on air induction 

Thanks 

Since its been 3 years it must not have been a mind boggling improvement.

I removed the front foam piece from the front of the tank but otherwise left the airbox alone.

Your metal shavings is disturblng.  What are they, where did they come from?

Which side of the air filter were they?

Edited by peteinpa

On 5/25/2019 at 9:59 AM, betoney said:

There shouldnt be anything else to do in there.  I removed the front foam area but havent heard anything about the snorkel. 

Adjusting the APS makes a noticeable difference in throttle smoothness, factory setting should be 17, I adjusted mine down to 12.

I feel like I just fell off the turnip truck,,So I'm R&R  my air filter ,,what is the point of removing the foam and is it all the foam or just the smaller black neck piece on the front of the tank ?

Also I love the thought of smoother throttle ,but have no clue what APS is ,,does this adjustment require any special tools ?

Thanks

There is a small piece of foam mounted on the underside of the tank. when tank is installed it blocks air from coming in straight from the front into the intake.

APS:   just do a search.

EDIT   APS can only be done on 15 and 16.   Also dont know if that foam is on a later year bike.

Edited by peteinpa
  • Thumbsup 1

Holy thread revival Batman, my own fault for not reporting back.

I noticed no difference with the snorkel surgery, or the K&N filter, on their own. But, this was part of my bigger changes ( ECU flash, catalyst removal, high flow exhaust, etc) and as they made a big difference the snorkel on its own was not significant.

Some oil in the airbox is normal as the fumes from the top of the engine are recycled into there to help with emissions, but metal shavings would sound alarm bells for me.

• 3 months later...

hey guys, am new to my 900 GT so was wondering why are you removing the foam from the underside of the tank?

Also - where is this adjustment made regarding APS and why? do I need a diagnostic tester to do that?

any advice very welcome

Mark aka Stumpyone

• Premium Member

In addition to above, depending on mileage, also change spark plugs and check valve lash, flash ECU, remove AIS plumping and install associated covers, and replace OEM CCT with manual CCT.