What do you think of the OEM tires?

Theirod,  I’ve been riding in the street for 45 years and I have never seen a bike tire get 20,000 plus miles! Other than a car tire on a GoldWing. And that’s not a bike tire!  I now have 3500 on my GT and they are 70% worn out, enough tread for one more mountain trip. I have absolutely no chicken strip. I push to the edge of the rear and almost to the edge of the front. I think the Dunlop’s are a good quality OEM tire. Not once did I have a grip issue on dry pavement, I do slow way down in rain! Don’t want to be stupid. We probably all have a favorite tire brand , and mine is Michelin, on cars too.  I believe most riders cannot ride to the ability of the tires anyway! If you are,  and ur on the street, u probably need to slow down. I’m well pleased with 3500 to 4500 Miles on a rear tire, I’m used to getting about 1800 on my Repsol 1000 RR. The GT is awesome on tire wear so far. But I am looking forward to getting the Michelin’s mounted, not because the Dunlop’s are junk, but because I , like most am a brand loyalty, and that puts confidence in my riding! That’s a Good Thing!!!

• Thumbsup 2

4 hours ago, Luma46 said:

I am no racer, in fact I am probably one of those individuals who slow the traffic. 😎. The only difference I can tell bwtween tires is when I get a flat. To me, the only criteria I have about a tire is miles/$ 🤗. And BTW, the OEM tires on GT are just fine...

Better tires make it stop faster. Bambi comes quick at legal riding speeds :) 

My track tires would be less safe than the oem tires on the street. 

• Thumbsup 1

Like has been said I also find the oem tires to be fine and have no problems with them. Like others I have my favorite tire for the street and that is Pirelli Angel GT. Have used them on my last three bikes. Best tire in the wet or dry even did a track day on them. If you have never tried them they just mite make you a believer.

13 hours ago, bushman57 said:

Theirod,  I’ve been riding in the street for 45 years and I have never seen a bike tire get 20,000 plus miles! 

It was actually 24,000 miles, but the front was in pretty bad shape at that point and I should have replaced both well before that (not fully bald, but definitely past the wear bars). Michelin PR4s, on a FZ09 (a fairly light bike). I put 20k miles per year on my bike, literally nothing but freeway commuting year round. I got about 14,000 on the stock tires on that bike. The GT is heavier, so I doubt I'll get anywhere near those numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, joriha said:

Remember; sport/touring is a bit of an oxymoron, especially when it comes to tires.

I disagree. Touring = hard center compound and sport = softer edges. 

• Thumbsup 6

'15 FJ09

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, kilo3 said:

Oh boy, I just passed 4.5k and the oem tires rapidly loosing it. Getting quite a rumble in the steering. Fair amount of tread left, but the rear is pretty square.

Same here! Almost 7000km. It is my firs bike so I ride with caution

I just bought a 2020 GT and love it so far. Sold a 2016 FJR 1300 ES because I got tired of the weight but still needed to tour. I have a road racing background and found the stock tires feedback very vague. Ditched them at 379 miles for a set of road 5's. Have used PR 2's, 3's and 4's over the years and really liked them all so figured it was a safe bet. Bike is still in pieces waiting on mods to arrive so can't comment on how they perform yet. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 5/30/2019 at 7:21 AM, chitown said:

Repeat after me: tires and suspension first.

IMO they're pretty crap but fairly predictable. If only commuting would probably use em up but otherwise no regrets tossing them early. Like Roadsmarts the rears are just average and the fronts are easily overwhelmed. No regrets tossing them and replacing with my preferred Michelin Power front + Road rear combo.  

Heeeeeey, this is an interesting idea.  I love the Road 5's, but the only things I don't like about them relate to the front tire, and how it feels in really hard cornering.  Maybe I should try this combo the next time around. 

On 5/30/2019 at 8:01 PM, betoney said:

You could save a fortune just using everyone’s oem tires that they don’t want. 

7 minutes ago, Manxkiwi said:

Sold my OEM Dunlops at 2500km to put new R5's on for a big trip. Sold the Dunlops and got a third of the cost of the R5's for them = win!

hah truth here; I pulled my OEM Dunlops at ~1000kms to put my winters on, and ended up doing just this that, selling them to partially fund the purchase of the Road 5's.

If you just wanted cheap tires, there's probably dozens of nearly new OEM D222's out there to be had cheap.

On 5/30/2019 at 8:37 PM, bushman57 said:

Theirod,  I’ve been riding in the street for 45 years and I have never seen a bike tire get 20,000 plus miles! Other than a car tire on a GoldWing. And that’s not a bike tire!  I now have 3500 on my GT and they are 70% worn out, enough tread for one more mountain trip. I have absolutely no chicken strip. I push to the edge of the rear and almost to the edge of the front. I think the Dunlop’s are a good quality OEM tire. Not once did I have a grip issue on dry pavement, I do slow way down in rain! Don’t want to be stupid. We probably all have a favorite tire brand , and mine is Michelin, on cars too.  I believe most riders cannot ride to the ability of the tires anyway! If you are,  and ur on the street, u probably need to slow down. I’m well pleased with 3500 to 4500 Miles on a rear tire, I’m used to getting about 1800 on my Repsol 1000 RR. The GT is awesome on tire wear so far. But I am looking forward to getting the Michelin’s mounted, not because the Dunlop’s are junk, but because I , like most am a brand loyalty, and that puts confidence in my riding! That’s a Good Thing!!!

Best I ever got was my last set of Road's, at 15,000km/9320 miles.  Could have done 10k easily enough, as they weren't quite to the wear bars, but the front was cupping and unpleasant to ride.  And that stands out for me as being an *incredible* distance on a tire.  Twice that?  Eeeh, I'd call bullshit on such claims off a motorcycle tire, unless there are really extenuating circumstances... Like riding a GT cruiser/touring tire on a little 150cc bike, and riding suuuuuuper gently. 

I found the Dunlops where an adequate for dry weather, but appallingly bad in the rain (at least in comparison to the Road 4 and Road 5's I've gotten used to) and absolutely, utterly garbage in sub-zero temperatures where the Road's are still a competent tire.  

On 5/29/2019 at 8:37 PM, johnmark101 said:

I have only put 500 miles on the GT so far and the OEM tires seem to be adequate for the intended purpose but not inspiring by any means.  I have some reservations about how much grip they provide but have run them into some curves at a somewhat spirited pace.  Would like to have a set of the Roadsmart 3 mounted but hate to waste the OEM tires.  These are not nearly as lousy as the OEM rubber that came with my Ninja 1000.

Share you thought on the D222 if you don't mind.  

The D222's didn't embarress themselves on the track. That being said, I do have a set of Angel GT's ready to spoon on...

PRE_CMP-20200530151647-2532-ZF-1752-1033

• Thumbsup 1

The previous 900 GT I owned came on the D222. The one I own now has Michelin Pilot 5 (part of the deal when I bought it).

The dealer said the difference would mainly be psychological. But I can tell you it is definitely more the psychological. The Michelin's offer more grip, especially when they're cold or when I'm riding in wet conditions.

Edited by Michiel900GT
Typo
  • Thumbsup 3