May motorcyclist magazine

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

Have you guys seen the May issue yet. Comparison test Versys, V-Strom and FJ09. Interesting read on the FJ.How about putting us all out of our collective misery and quoting some of the key points, please.L of S

Have you guys seen the May issue yet. Comparison test Versys, V-Strom and FJ09. Interesting read on the FJ.
That's interesting, in the April issue of Bike (or was it Ride?) in the UK they compared the FJ (MT-09 Tracer) to the Versys and BMW GS 1200.  The Tracer came top of the pile thanks to it's do everything (on road anyway!) ability at the cost of £8k. The BM also got 5 stars however it came a close 2nd.  They thought it was a much better bike but not twice as good and it cost almost twice as much. The Versys was a bit log in the tooth but had a storming engine.

Given the budget I would have the BM everyday, fabulous machine, however I am delighted with my Tracer!

The fact is ... the FJ got smoked by BOTH bikes! It placed 2nd but got by far the harshest criticism from editors.
The thing you never learn from first ride "intro" articles is the true nature of handling ... and according to the MC guys ... the FJ has serious issues.
"lack of confidence",  "unsettled front end", "Budget" feel. "poor brakes", suspension could NOT be dialed in despite spending lots of time trying. 

The shield and fairing came in for a major slam for buffeting and wind noise. Funny, not one asshat editor ever mentioned that in those initial tests.

They still love the motor but never really got into that.

But considering they picked a 570 lbs. bike (Versys) over the FJ ... well you really have to wonder where these guys are coming from.

I was surprised but not totally shocked ... it IS a budget bike and Yamaha left a few things for the year 3 update.

Only Ari Henning backed the FJ ... despite it faults and foibles.

This is ALWAYS how it goes in the mags ... intro articles are full of awe and praise ... come a comparo and everything changes.

• Premium Member
I didn't think they came off as quite so negative as that, but reading this forum you see pretty much the same complaints as in the article -- and nobody here is being paid to say it (or not). The suspension on the FJ is budget but adequate, you really want to consider replacing the windscreen, and hey what a great motor! They nailed it IMO. (So did Motorcycle Consumer News.)

As an all-arounder, I'd probably give the Versys the nod too. I rented one for several days last fall and it was a great ride for several 12+ hour saddle days in a row, and really fun in the twisties (but then, what motorcycle isn't).  The suspension ain't so hot on the Versys either -- the 2014 I rented pushed like crazy and was easy to get the rear all wonky, although ridden smoothly it was no problem to scrape the peg feelers. The motor had great torque but was unfortunately flat on the top end. It was good at everything, but not great at anything. (Well, other than being comfortable. It's first class at being really comfortable.)

So what do you want in your ride?

To me, everything about the Versys said "sport TOURING". If you're looking for that, it's a competent bike you can ride all day long for days and days on end. But if you want something more "SPORT touring", that's not the bike at all. I for one think the FJ fits that bill -- even if it's a diamond in the rough. Give the FJ a new windscreen and upgrade the suspension and perhaps work on the fueling and you've fixed all that ails it, and you can do all of those things with aftermarket stuff available today. No matter what you're never going to make the Versys motor stronger or the bike lighter.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

IF there were a motorcycle produced today that suited EVERY riders needs AND wants equally right out of the box, without the need for aftermarket components, there would be no "farkles" industry. The fact is, this bike obviously had low entry price high on the list of priorities by the manufacturer, and I for one am glad it did. I'm still blown away by the VALUE represented by this bike at this price. I think the list of great praise still far outweighs the few rightly deserved criticisms (some of which are subjective, depending on how one rides).
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

It has been stated several times, it is all in what you are looking for. For me it was my first road bike. I was looking at from the perspective of comparing the Honda NC-700. This bike blows that out of the water. I think at the end of the day if you are happy with purchase, be happy. Who cares what a rag writes about it. If you like it, that is truly all that matters.

I read that article.   We have to remember we all look for different things in a motorcycle, that is why there are so many different styles of bike out there.   I thought the article was OK but I would argue with the results.   Sure, the Yammie suspension and brakes might feel budget but the Kawi is 100 lbs (ish) heavier!!!!!  Let's look at the numbers, the FJ has only 3 HP, and 10 FtLBS of torque less than the Versys!   In terms of performance, the heavier weight of the Versys more than swallows up it's slight power advantage.   Just look at the numbers on the last page of the article.  

Because of the nature of it's 19 inch front wheel, the 'Strom will never be a great road handler and is out for me.    I have no illusions about riding my bike to Africa.  All of my adventures will be on road thanks!!!  I prefer the ADV style of bike not for it's dirt capabilities, but for it's riding position and comfort.  (I have a bad back due to old injury).  I still wanna rail around corners!

For me and the way I ride, the FJ-09 wins. (I don't much care about the editors final results, but I listen to their observations about the bike).  When I ride a motorcycle, I want a fast snappy motor, light weight, and good handling.   The FJ hits 2 and a half boxes for me.  Seems to me it will be FAR easier to upgrade the suspension on the FJ-09 than to get the Versys to loose 100 lbs.  My plan is for some Race Tech Emulators, change the brake pads, some stainless brake lines and I think the FJ will smarten right up!!  Tires also play a key role.   Will be interesting to hear about how the FJ responds to different tires once we start wearing them out and trying different types.  (I see a new thread here in the future). 

Weather protection is indifferent to me.   I have excellent gear and if you don't wanna get wet, take the truck!!! :P

Don't take it personally that the FJ came in second.    For me it's first.    Thats all that matters!!!!

• Premium Member
Who cares what a magazine says. We all know how awesome this bike is.
Amen brother. super_zpsd4x7by7h.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
It's not clear from the above if the comparo was with the 1000cc Versys, or its smaller brother the 650. Clarification please....

L of S

"It's not clear from the above if the comparo was with the 1000cc Versys, or its smaller brother the 650. Clarification please....

L of S"

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/804/motorcyclist-magazine?page=1#ixzz3VaZHq4ob

It was with the 1000 Versys, as well as the 1000 V-Strom against a 850 FJ-09.  I'd say the FJ punched way over it's weight and kicked A...

Archived