May motorcyclist magazine

I sat on 'em both side by side repeatedly back and forth today for awhile... I couldn't believe how much bigger and heavier the Kawi felt compared to the FJ. Additionally, even though they have very simliar seat heights (within 1/4"), the Kawi's pegs were significantly higher. My hip angle was significantly more open on the FJ, and would be more comfortable on longer runs. The Kawi was wider, too, both in front and behind you - I'm 6' and had a time swinging my leg way over the Kawi's huge bags. I imagine I'd get used to it, but I couldn't believe the seats were so close considering how much harder it was to get onto the Kawi. I see how they're compared, but I was truly surprised at how different the bikes felt.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

I was over at my brothers yesterday and he had this issue, so I finally got a chance to read it.

The final thought I came away with was that there are no negatives on the FJ that can't be addressed via the aftermarket, and the things that make it superior to the Kawi and the Suzuki are not things those bikes could change.

Mainly, you can't make the Versys and V-Strom 100lbs lighter and sportier, but you can improve the FJ's suspension.

As for weather protection, I rank the FJ as 'good enough'. I have a car I love to drive, so I don't typically have my FJ out in crap weather anyway :D

So, long story short, upgrade the suspension on your FJ and it will still be less expensive than the other two and will be sportier and more fun to ride. (or don't upgrade the suspension and be happy with the fact that your bike is still pretty awesome)

P.S. I was at a coffee shop the other day and a guy on a CBR600RR came up and said "What the heck is that? Did a supersport have sex with an adventure bike?" Yes curious stranger. Yes it did. 

The number one job of the magazine writers and editors is to sell magazines. Number two job, sell advertising. It's all about money. I would like to know if there has been a recent advertising contract.

The FJ-09 is a first year bike. Yamaha has not worked all the bugs out. What bike has perfect suspension? Even if it has the best suspension today, five years from now it will be outdated. Suspension settings and setup change from one rider to another. Much easier to change suspension, windshield and tweak the brakes. Than try to remove ONE HUNDRED POUNDS from a motorcycle. That thing is as heavy as my 93 FJ1200 and it's 22 years old.

Kurt

P.S. I was at a coffee shop the other day and a guy on a CBR600RR came up and said "What the heck is that? Did a supersport have sex with an adventure bike?" Yes curious stranger. Yes it did. 
I've had the bike nine days, and I'm up to six "What the heck IS that??" comments from strangers already. :)
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

Archived