L.E.D. "knuckleguard" light kit for the FJ Handguards

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty cool. Would like it even more if they had made it orange lighting that could make them turn signals.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Pretty cool. Would like it even more if they had made it orange lighting that could make them turn signals.
What really would be nice is to have it white LED, and when you turn a turn signal on, that one would go to amber (orange) as a signal.  

• Premium Member
I was thinking of mirror signals myself. I modded my Daytona with a set and it was a huge, huge improvement in visibility over the stock blinkers.

I would be a little more wary of knuckle guard lights, though; it seems like any tipover would be likely to trash them. Having said that these things would likely help a lot with negotiating cager traffic. Over the years I have tried a lot of different things to increase conspicuity (e.g. bright clothing and bright helmet) and almost nothing seemed to work at all ... except headlights. If I have one headlight the cagers seem to behave as if I do not exist. If I have two, they're pretty good at recognizing me. A single offset light like on the Daytona seems to be better than a single central light, but it has marker lights too so maybe they help.

My theory is that the additional lights help cagers figure out how far away you are and how fast you are approaching. If that's the case, knuckle guards would be a huge win -- providing as wide a baseline for parallax as possible.

Anyway, you could put stick-on yellow film over these knuckle guard lights and rig them into the blinker system. That's cheap and easy and will look just fine if you're careful about the application. Given that the knuckle lights are not very expensive I'll give that a bit of thought myself.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Those look real good, but not sure I will keep the hand guards. If I do, that is a nice mod to try.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I ordered these and they arrived in about a week. Look like quality pieces and the packaging was impressive. Waiting for my OEM heated grips to arrive and will install them at the same time. Kit also includes "bonus" wiring to connect them so they blink with the front signal lights.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
I ordered these and they arrived in about a week. Look like quality pieces and the packaging was impressive. Waiting for my OEM heated grips to arrive and will install them at the same time. Kit also includes "bonus" wiring to connect them so they blink with the front signal lights.

These look impressive - pls advise any difficulties with installation - I assume instructions on 'how-to' come with the lights. Thank you...

L of S

Archived