Stock replacement battery price and future alternatives?

Dropped by my local Yamaha dealer this morning to grab a  replacement stock battery for my 2015 which I needed ASAP to get to work on Monday.  No complaints about the life span of 4 years, but $183 for a new one?   I'm sure there are less expensive alternatives out there I will research for next time, but the gouging annoyed me. 

Edited by dbezerkeley

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, dbezerkeley said:

I'm sure there are less expensive alternatives out there I will research for next time, but the gouging annoyed me. 

That sounds inline with prices I found online, sportbiketrackgear had the oem battery for $144 + a brick and morter store is going to charge 25-30% markup as well as tax.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

$108.89 including tax at O'Reilly's Auto Parts.

It has already lasted longer than my stock battery did.....

• Thumbsup 1

I get mine from kapscomoto.com $33. I am ok if I only get a couple of years out of them. I can't say how long they will last but the one in my VSTROM (approx$38) is on its third year.

• Thumbsup 2

I paid $33.00 delivered from Walmart.com.  Battery has been in a year already and no issues at all.  I too am happy if a battery lasts 3 years.  Any longer is just luck...  If you do something stupid and kill it along the way expect half that life.

Pat

Anyone consider lithium ion batteries?  I have a Shorai battery in my Triumph Bonneville, a model notorious for not starting if the voltage is a little low.  In place for 4 years with no problems.  Will probably get one for my '16 FJ-09 when original battery dies.

• Premium Member

I have a lithium battery I bought from revzilla last summer. It’s crazy light. When it arrived I thought the hey had sent me an empty box. It works fine. 

Let’s go Brandon

Have tried some of the less expensive alternatives in the past but they have never held up for me like buying a GS or Yuasa replacement when the time comes. Have been getting 5+ years out of the Yuasas purchased on Amazon. Just recently replaced the FJ-09's nearly five year old battery with one for $106 delivered. 

Would probably be all over a lith-ion battery -- particularly if we were losing unsprung weight -- but have had to wait for folks to "warm up" before they could start etc. Plus other chargers and such. Hoping if I wait prices will come down too. 

• Thumbsup 1

I have an EarthX lithium battery in my XSR900 (and all my other bikes for that matter), and plan to put one in my new Tracer 900 GT also.  They are a little over $200, but well worth it IMHO.  The special thing about the Earth X Batteries, is that they have the cell balancing technology build into the battery itself, so there is no need for an expensive lithium charger...you can charge it with a normal car charger.  You'll save about 8 lbs high up in the bike (which is always good), and I've never had one not start, even after leaving my bike untouched for 6 months.

One of my bikes had a Shori lithium battery in it.  After 3 weeks, it was dead and wouldn't start the bike.  Changed it to an Earth X and never had a problem ever again.

:)

- Paul

I have bought from these guys for years. I use a battery tender on all my batteries, my truck, Lawn tractor, ZUMA Scooter, Truck Camper. The batteries from Chromebattery last right around 5 years and the price is reasonable. 

s-l1000.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for YTZ10S-BS...

• Thanks 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member

I put one of these in in '15, a few months after I bought the bike. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FIUJ0S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Have never experienced any trouble with it, and never had a charger on it. The bike has sat for up to 3 months without being started during the winter, and fired right up in spring. Less weight up high more room in the battery box are pluses.

• Premium Member

I've replaced batteries in both my ST1100 and FJ09 with Shorai Lithium Iron batteries. As stated, they are crazy light! One in the 1100 will be 3 years old in the fall, 2 years in the FJ.  

Only "issue" I've experienced is starting in cold weather. The LiFe batteries need to warm up a bit, so it is best to turn main switch on, so lights come on, and let it set for a few seconds before trying to start.

I don't use battery tenders. During off season I make a point to start bikes at least once every two weeks and let them run until fans kick on. Keeps fresh fuel in systems and batteries charged.  If bike won't turn over, battery will likely need replaced anyway.

• Thumbsup 1

I will also vouch for the Shorais.  I have them on all 4 bikes now (and had them on a couple bikes that I sold).  I don’t really do much cold weather riding but they do need an few seconds to warm up on colder mornings.  I don’t know if it would be a real problem for someone in a cold climate that had to leave the bike outside.