Suspension

Looking to upgrade my suspension. 

I see the base model 18/19 Tracer uses the same rear shock as previous generations, which means, replacements marketed for any tracer would be suited for the GT. 

I've checked part numbers on the front fork springs, and those used on the GT are the same as previous gen FJ's.

Fork tubes, upper and lower, are the same on the GT as previous FJ's.

Can't find info on the spring in the rear shock for the GT. 

So based on what I have found, there are options for replacement fork springs, replacement fork cartridges and replacement rear shocks. 

Does anyone know what options are available for rear spring replacement?

I'm weighing up if I'll just spring to my weight or upgrade the lot. 

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, StealthAu said:

Looking to upgrade my suspension. 

I see the base model 18/19 Tracer uses the same rear shock as previous generations, which means, replacements marketed for any tracer would be suited for the GT. 

I've checked part numbers on the front fork springs, and those used on the GT are the same as previous gen FJ's.

Fork tubes, upper and lower, are the same on the GT as previous FJ's.

Can't find info on the spring in the rear shock for the GT. 

So based on what I have found, there are options for replacement fork springs, replacement fork cartridges and replacement rear shocks. 

Does anyone know what options are available for rear spring replacement?

I'm weighing up if I'll just spring to my weight or upgrade the lot. 

On different bikes I have owned in the past, I have tried just a spring upgrade as well as full component replacements.  Getting proper springs absolutely made a noticeable improvement but upgrading the shock or re-valving the forks brought the bike to a whole different level of control and compliance.

My opinion - the shock needs more attention than the forks, - your experience may differ than mine.  I replaced the shock with a custom built Penske from Traxxion Dynamics and had the oem fork cartridges modified with different compression and rebound valving.

I am a HUGE advocate for getting suspension set up correctly for your weight and personal needs and while I will never advise anyone NOT to personalize their suspension, I wont tell you to upgrade beyond your needs.  Someone who is an avid sport rider or someone who does a lot of long distance touring will have vastly different needs than someone just riding around town .   Determine your needs and talk to a respected suspension shop about what they offer.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, betoney said:

On different bikes I have owned in the past, I have tried just a spring upgrade as well as full component replacements.  Getting proper springs absolutely made a noticeable improvement but upgrading the shock or re-valving the forks brought the bike to a whole different level of control and compliance.

My opinion - the shock needs more attention than the forks, - your experience may differ than mine.  I replaced the shock with a custom built Penske from Traxxion Dynamics and had the oem fork cartridges modified with different compression and rebound valving.

I am a HUGE advocate for getting suspension set up correctly for your weight and personal needs and while I will never advise anyone NOT to personalize their suspension, I wont tell you to upgrade beyond your needs.  Someone who is an avid sport rider or someone who does a lot of long distance touring will have vastly different needs than someone just riding around town .   Determine your needs and talk to a respected suspension shop about what they offer.

I do all my own suspension work, along with everything else.  

I'm still in the deciding range as to what approach I'll take with the GT. I don't really want to spend too much money on this bike as I don't see myself keeping it for the long haul. I've got three bikes, two of them are keepers and I've spent a lot setting them up. The tracer, I just don't see in the same light, great bike, but I'll probably trade it in a year or two. 

I have the front forks maxed out on preload and have over 50mm of sag. Definitely need springs. The valving in the forks is adequate, I can work within the range they provide. A set of Matris cartridges would be miles ahead, but again, I don't know if I want to spend the money on this ride. 

The rear needs a new spring, it ain't designed for 100kg rider. Again the valving seems adequate, it'd be nice to have compression adjustment, but it isn't terrible for what it is. 

It would be nice to be able to push this thing a little harder than the stock suspension will ever allow, but I have other bikes for that. I always have one bike which is kept mostly stock, just to munch the miles. That is the role of the GT.

• Thumbsup 1