Southern Ontario Meetup

Husqy

7 hours ago, Rick123 said:

Improve again? This way you might be not riding until next year or so. May I ask what for you is not to far from home and what is? And in fact what difference does it make?

Meh, its still early in the season in my opinion. When there are nice days, I go out for a rip within an hour radius of my house (Kitchener). Couple weeks ago I did Milton down into Snake Rd and Dundas. Although government has been laughably bad, I do see 'hope' on the horizon with vaccinations picking up.

While I don't really have respect for this 'mockdown' as it were, I do respect that the healthcare system is currently stressed. Last thing I would want to do is have a spill on the bike (which is just inherently more dangerous than me going for a hike, for ex.) and take up a hospital bed. I'm a big fan of some 'dangerous' activities, but the risk is worth the reward under normal circumstances. For now, I don't want to add to the capacity problem if I don't have to.

Luckily for me I have some small projects at home I'm working on, built a home gym and some other hobbies that are keeping me busy. If not, I would be itching hard to be on the bike every chance I can! 

• Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, Husqy said:

Apparently I had my notifications disabled (doh!).

Down for a meetup when COVID things start to improve again. I'm not riding too far from home for the next month; just trying to be conscious of the situation.

Happy to try to organize something around June.

I find that after a certain amount of time of inactivity the notifications time out and stop sending.

Agree about the wait and see approach. Wouldn't want to find myself needing a hospital bed right now for a broken bone. Saw the story of the guy in the GTA who was re-directed to an Ottawa hospital as there was no room for him in Toronto.

Couldn't ride now if I wanted to anyways - bike still hasn't arrived from Japan!

14 hours ago, Husqy said:

Meh, its still early in the season in my opinion. When there are nice days, I go out for a rip within an hour radius of my house (Kitchener). Couple weeks ago I did Milton down into Snake Rd and Dundas. Although government has been laughably bad, I do see 'hope' on the horizon with vaccinations picking up.

While I don't really have respect for this 'mockdown' as it were, I do respect that the healthcare system is currently stressed. Last thing I would want to do is have a spill on the bike (which is just inherently more dangerous than me going for a hike, for ex.) and take up a hospital bed. I'm a big fan of some 'dangerous' activities, but the risk is worth the reward under normal circumstances. For now, I don't want to add to the capacity problem if I don't have to.

Luckily for me I have some small projects at home I'm working on, built a home gym and some other hobbies that are keeping me busy. If not, I would be itching hard to be on the bike every chance I can! 

Sounds like a reasonable excuse but it doesn’t work for me. Another nice day today and another 220km. (about 7200 km in total this year)

Edited by Rick123
  • Thumbsup 1

@rlambke19 same thoughts here! Bit of an 'ethical' dilemma for me - dont want to strain the system anymore than need be.

@Rick123 definitely your prerogative! If I'm being honest, I do like target the twisties quite a bit vs just riding for the sake of riding. Don't let my lack of riding stop you from organizing a meetup if you like, but I won't be going out for any long rides until things improve.

• Thumbsup 1

20 hours ago, Rick123 said:

Sounds like a reasonable excuse but it doesn’t work for me. Another nice day today and another 220km. (about 7200 km in total this year)

@Rick123 - looks like I'm in your neighbourhood. Just waiting to find my FJ - then definitely count me in for a meet-up! Almost had a brand new 2018 from Parkway Yamaha for $9,500+tx - but just missed it! Hoping to find one soon.

Edited by rd4me

4 hours ago, rd4me said:

@Rick123 - looks like I'm in your neighbourhood. Just waiting to find my FJ - then definitely count me in for a meet-up! Almost had a brand new 2018 from Parkway Yamaha for $9,500+tx - but just missed it! Hoping to find one soon.

Sounds good. There was 2019 Gt in Ottawa couple of weeks ago with 5000km on it for $11 000. He was ready to sell it for 10 500. Sold in one week...

Second attempt.. 13C this coming Saturday. Who is in for a ride from Belfountain at 11 am. Full tank of gas and empty bladder btw.

Edited by Rick123

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Maybe this time. Belfountein Saturday 15th at 12 meet and ride. Destination River Rd. With one stop in Hockley Village on the way there. Any takers? Don’t tell me 20C is not warm enough.

5 hours ago, Heavy said:

Three hours for me just to get there ... don't expect me to show.  😉

There is Meet & Greet in Bancroft this Sunday at 12…

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Heavy said:

Three hours for me just to get there ... don't expect me to show.  😉

You got me wondering… 😀

Technically, that is less than a day’s ride for me!  My wife will verify that I’ve done more foolish things than this.  

730CB6E5-DE99-4DD8-8251-9CB68783CC8A.thumb.jpeg.f8f3d3e02b90f076e64a2bda6c7437a0.jpeg

For all you GTA guys, have you heard of the Icehouse Restaurant in Campbellville..... every weekend, particularly Sundays, many bikes of all stripes have been gathering for years..... meet up for coffee and go for a ride if you like.  Some go for lunch at the Trail Eatery if in the area.  

I've been all the places you've mentioned so far....... used to live in Orangeville, moved closer to Campbellville for a while, now out in the boonies of Flamborough.