Overheating

I have a 2015 FJ-09 with about 11k miles. It has overheated twice, once in traffic riding 2 up. The outside temp was about 90 F. The other time riding in a state forest, 2 up, ambient temp about the same. I have never heard the fan run. Can you hear the fan run on this bike? 

I hear the fan run practically every day. It typically kicks on as the temp nears 200 degrees. I would check the connector to make sure its securely connected. I’d also check to make sure the fan spins freely.

I’ve ridden two up in hot weather and had no problem with overheating. I hope your problem has an easy fix. 

Duke

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

If you just run it in your garage you'll hear it come on once it gets to a certain temp... check that the fan blades move freely, with bike NOT running of course.  If not, there may be something blocking it or.  If so, it might have blown a fuse so check those, even if they move freely now what was blocking it could have dislodged.

Edited by mellow

What they said. Start doing some checks. 

While various Yamahas I've owned have had different rules for operating the fan based on combinations of sidestand position and temperature I've only checked the FJ with sidestand up while riding. Someone here probably has the exact numbers but fan on mine comes on between  215F and 220 engine temp. Shuts off after a decline of approx 10-15 degrees. Not precise because only  casually looked at the engine temp while riding. Typically will be running for me after exiting the freeway at 70mph and crawling through surface street traffic. At least that's the only speed I notice it with my plugs in. 

No general heat issues for me. Have ridden hard at 109F ambient and many 100F+ ambient days. 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, jim216 said:

Can you hear the fan run on this bike? 

I wear ear plugs while riding and I can not hear the fan turn on while riding, but if I stop at an intersection with my visor open then I can hear it.

Do you have your ECU flashed?  One of the many changes done is setting the fan to come on at a lower temperature.  If yours isn't coming on at all then like the others recommended, check that it spins freely and a fuse isn't blown.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks for all the replies! I previously had a Kawasaki klr 650 and the fan was very loud and ran for a bit after you shut the bike off. My guess is the fan never ran from day one as i’ve Never heard it. I will start checking, starting with easy and going from there. 

Has the ECU on the bike been flashed?  If so, the fan on/off temp ranges might be fouled up.

The FJ has a BIG radiator and when the fan hits it pulls the temp down very quickly.  Engine temp should not get above 225f  before fan fires.

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, jim216 said:

Thanks for all the replies! I previously had a Kawasaki klr 650 and the fan was very loud and ran for a bit after you shut the bike off. My guess is the fan never ran from day one as i’ve Never heard it. I will start checking, starting with easy and going from there. 

You can get into diagnostics and hit the fan relay test - it will cycle the fan on and off 5 times.  You will be able to clearly tell of your fan is coming on.  I'm not home, so I can't give you the exact directions, but I have also had issues with the fan and used diagnostics extensively to test.

• Thumbsup 3

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, nhchris said:

Has the ECU on the bike been flashed?  If so, the fan on/off temp ranges might be fouled up.

Fouled up? or do you mean changed?  Usually when the ECU is flashed, the temp is set to turn on at 190F instead of 220F.

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I was just guessing that in the chain of causality if ECU had been flashed the fan setting might have inadvertently been turned off or set too high.  Thus no fan operation even if fuse is good and fan motor / wiring is good.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09