Alaska on a Tracer 900GT?

Hello All,

I have had my bike for 2 months now and have clicked about 5000km.  One trip was to Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia which took up about 3000km (I live in Toronto, Canada).  Glorious roads!

I realized that I really love to do long distance riding and was wondering where I could go to next?  Alaska has always been a bucket list trip.  Assuming we instal proper tires, rad guard, engine guard can this beauty do it?  I have heard that the gravel roads have huge ruts and big rocks flying off the trucks can be brutal.  Anyone done this trip?  Any advice?  Am I mad?

Thank you in advance,

Joe

No, you're not mad, just adventurous.  I think I would get some protection under the pipes area in the front of the bike before hitting any dirt and gravel roads in Alaska.  It can be done if you take all the necessary precautions.

I've done it on a 900 lb cruiser with street tires and the GT would be more capable. It's paved all the way and lots of pavement in Alaska, leave the dirt roads to the adventure bikes and you'll be fine. 

image.jpeg

• Thumbsup 9

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

27 minutes ago, gv550 said:

I've done it on a 900 lb cruiser with street tires and the GT would be more capable. It's paved all the way and lots of pavement in Alaska, leave the dirt roads to the adventure bikes and you'll be fine. 

Really good advice @gv550.  Well, that is until you let Garmin show you the way.  For some reason, we all end up on dirt roads with Garmin routing.  My Garmin 665 has led me to more turnarounds and dirt roads than you can imagine.  Great stories for later though.  😀

Plan your trip to not go on dirt or gravel roads.  In your planning use Google Earth to investigate questionable roads.  Note, that you will have to do some gravel roads, as they are always repairing them.  If you are planning on doing the Haul Road, I can't imagine why, but if you do, you will have to do lots of gravel.

• Thumbsup 1

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

2 hours ago, redfjniner said:

If you are planning on doing the Haul Road, I can't imagine why, but if you do, you will have to do lots of gravel.

Because it’s there, and you only live once. 

Having said that, I only hope that I get the opportunity one day. If I don’t, I won’t lose any sleep over it. I guess I just like the idea of riding in remote places. 

• Thumbsup 1
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

I'm sure the FJ should make it no problem. We have some friends, John and Andy that went to the arctic circle on an R1 and a ZX14. If they can make it an FJ09 can. 

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, chitown said:

You can take pretty much any bike to Alaska. And, up the Haul Road (Dalton Highway). Rider, not bike. 

This^^^^^  Are there better suited bikes for it? Of course. 

Repeat after me  "They Are All Adventure Bikes!"

CBR 600-2.jpg

CBR 600.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Lol!

Ok I get it,  We can travel anywhere with this bike!  So glad I bought it and many thanks to you guys and this forum for the insight on all of its attributes.  Anyone want to go to Alaska from Ontario in 2020 just let me know!

Cheers,

Joe

• Thumbsup 3