Bought my first paddock stand

Coop

I bought a Harris rear stand and like some newbies I'm kind of scared to use it.  I've looked at all of the youtube how to's and they haven't lowered my anxiety level.  Some use a front wheel chock to hold the bike upright and that looks good.  A chock would hold my ST1300 just fine.  Some look like they are free standing but most need to be bolted down.  Any help would be appreciated.

I don’t have that stand but am pretty relaxed about using mine. I presume you are using bobbins on the swing arm, if not, then these really help to locate the stand.

I put the bike on the centre stand, so it is nice and stable. Align the paddock stand with the bobbins and then with one hand on my Givi topbox rack, I pull backwards slightly as I lift the bike with the paddock stand. 

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

4 hours ago, BBB said:

I don’t have that stand but am pretty relaxed about using mine. I presume you are using bobbins on the swing arm, if not, then these really help to locate the stand.

I put the bike on the centre stand, so it is nice and stable. Align the paddock stand with the bobbins and then with one hand on my Givi topbox rack, I pull backwards slightly as I lift the bike with the paddock stand. 

Yes, I'm using bobbins.  I wondered about lifting off the centerstand...makes sense, but how do you let it down?   

What bobbins are you using? I have a Pit Bull rear stand that I've used with many bikes over the years -the only thing that changes is the bobbins (size of bolt and length of bobbin) depending on swing arm and exhaust clearance (the latter is not a concern with the Tracer, obvs.). My stand is adjustable (like most) to accommodate the different widths of different bikes.

You will want to make sure that the stand doesn't come into contact with the swing arm when you raise the bike up. So take some time and measure twice. 🙂

As I haven't tried this with my Tracer yet, not sure how it will go with the center stand. I used to put my bikes onto the front wheel chock and then use the rear stand.

Rob 

4 hours ago, Explorer said:

I Wouldn't have thought  you needed a paddock stand when you have a centre stand. ?

Depends on the task. Header removal etc. While that can be done on the side stand it's easier with a rear stand. 

As to OP go slow and make sure it's positioned correctly. Have had some dumb drops in my day but none caused by using rear stands. Have used my stand on my porky FJR many times. Along with a head lift stand at the front. 

Some chocks work free standing and work well if the surface is abrasive enough. Baxleys and knock-offs thereof for example. But for maintenance they can be limiting. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Explorer said:

I Wouldn't have thought  you needed a paddock stand when you have a centre stand. ?

I'm confused about that as well.  I completely understand possibly needing one for the front but with a center stand doing the exact same thing it seems redundant.  Actually it would be more limiting for maintenance as you cant do swingarm, linkage or shock removal or maintenance.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My paddock stand has four caster wheels so I use it for turning the bike around in the garage.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

On 6/13/2019 at 4:12 AM, Explorer said:

I agree, but I'm having difficulty seeing the axle alignment marks.  Old eyes, old knees and they put the mark on the top.  I could see the darned thing if they had put it on the bottom.  What if I could verify the alignment was good and put my own mark on the bottom?  Old brain too.  Any help would be appreciated.

• Supporting Member
39 minutes ago, Coop said:

I agree, but I'm having difficulty seeing the axle alignment marks.  Old eyes, old knees and they put the mark on the top.  I could see the darned thing if they had put it on the bottom.  What if I could verify the alignment was good and put my own mark on the bottom?  Old brain too.  Any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like you need different chain adjusters, not a rear stand.  The rear stand will probably lift the wheel the same height as the center stand, it wont make seeing the adjustment marks any easier.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 minute ago, betoney said:

It sounds like you need different chain adjusters, not a rear stand.  The rear stand will probably lift the wheel the same height as the center stand, it wont make seeing the adjustment marks any easier.

Any suggestions?  I've been on a shaft drive for along time.

I use this inexpensive alignment tool and it works quite well (with bike on center stand)...

Buy Motion Pro 08-0048 Chain Alignment Tool: Wheel Alignment &...

Not sure it's available in U.K.

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09