Fitting GPR steering damper - How To.

scuff

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
Been some time, but i am eyeing a GPR steering damper. Have installed a WP one on a z1000 and love the feeling (and safety at higher speeds). I am also happy with the fact that the GPR one appears to be hard to get to compared to the Ohlins/Matris ones and hence offers more protection against **heads willing to steal an expensive piece of kit. But i have one question for you, have you had any issues with leaks down the line? I have seen in this forum on another thread from one user saying that all is good. But it appears that GPR steering dampers had issues with leaks over the years and hence i wanted to check with you since in this thread there are quite a few people who have installed it.

The GPR V4D on my WR250R developed a small leak after a short time.(actually it was probably close to a year old and being hammered off road) The FJ uses the V4S that is a little different design. The good thing about GPR is they service the unit for free to the original purchaser for life. Somewhere I read that the first service was free, but when I called GPR I was told that the unit is serviced for free for life to the original purchaser. Customer service was great and turn around time was quick. BTW has been leak free after the service. GPR recommends a yearly service.

Thx guys, it appears to be a bit of a mixed bag. I still believe that it is more theft proof than the traditional steering dampers at least for the FJ (or Tracer). Also for those who feel they can handle it, check the video below for servicing a GPR steering damper. It looks easy and the design of the thing also looks quite straightforward.

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
Anyone install the new FJ-09 properly fitted kit?

Debating about inverting the stock riser bolts or using the new included bolts.
2015 FJ-09, Red/Black, Hard Sidecases, Rear Rack with 39L & 50L Top Case, Tank bag with GPS cover. Comfort seat, Now Corban seat, Givi Crash Bars/Sidestand Foot/Sport Touring Windshield, Rad protector, Blaster-x taillight/flasher, HighTechSpeed Proton FZ6R flushmounts (Front) & X-Arc (Rear) additional turn signals & markers, Fender Eliminator/LED plate light. CF fenders/Front extenstion, chain protector and frame filler. Akra Ti exhaust. FTECU with Akro open tune.

• Premium Member
Either way is fine. By inverting the stock riser bolts you can set the handlebars/triple clamp in the holes and then go install the nuts. By using bolts, you need to hold the handlebars/clamp in position, while simultaneously installing the bolts from the bottom (pretty much a two person job,  but can be easily done). Either way is structurally sound, so just choose your poison.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Either way is fine. By inverting the stock riser bolts you can set the handlebars/triple clamp in the holes and then go install the nuts. By using bolts, you need to hold the handlebars/clamp in position, while simultaneously installing the bolts from the bottom (pretty much a two person job,  but can be easily done). Either way is structurally sound, so just choose your poison.

OK, for some reason when fitting the nut on the stub flip. The nut was very hard to fully thread on.
I choose to just install with the supplied bolts.

Everything is now installed.
Now to go ride. 8-)

Thanks
2015 FJ-09, Red/Black, Hard Sidecases, Rear Rack with 39L & 50L Top Case, Tank bag with GPS cover. Comfort seat, Now Corban seat, Givi Crash Bars/Sidestand Foot/Sport Touring Windshield, Rad protector, Blaster-x taillight/flasher, HighTechSpeed Proton FZ6R flushmounts (Front) & X-Arc (Rear) additional turn signals & markers, Fender Eliminator/LED plate light. CF fenders/Front extenstion, chain protector and frame filler. Akra Ti exhaust. FTECU with Akro open tune.

• 4 weeks later...
GPR steering damper installation How To: 1. Remove the fuel tank trim piece by removing two aft bolts and four quarter turn fasteners.

20150719_094429_zpsgemuleki.jpg
2. Remove the handlebar cap bolts (2 each side) and the handlebar caps.

20150719_090912_zpsmehzj6vr.jpg
3. Position the handlebars on something soft that won’t scratch the paint.
4. Using a universal and some long socket extensions, remove the lower handlebar mount nuts (2 places).

20150719_090852_zps04jvenwa.jpg
5. Remove the lower handlebar mounts noting correct orientation for installation (mine are installed 10mm forward, or rotated 180 degrees).
6. Using a 27mm socket, remove the stock steering stem nut.
7. Place the lower handlebar mounts in a vice (use something to keep the vice from scratching the mounts).
8. Using the existing lower handlebar mount nuts, screw on nut (flange side up) all the way onto the lower handlebar mount stud.
9. Screw the second lower handlebar mount nut on the stud (flange side down) until it makes contact with the other nut.
10. Tighten the two nuts together.
11. Place a wrench on the lower nut and remove the stud (ccw)from the lower handlebar mount.
12. While holding the lower handlebar mount nut, unscrew the other lower handlebar nut from the stud and then remove the lower nut.
13. Repeat for the other lower handlebar mount.
14. Place some blue locktite on the now removed stud (small thread length section) and screw it all the way back into the lower handlebar mount. This reverses the stud thread positions (large thread length section out).

20150719_100206_zpsbdajee00.jpg
15. Place a kit supplied washer on the steering stem (REMOVE the existing steering stem washer on there or things will rub) and then screw the kit supplied nut on. Using a 1-1/4 inch socket, torque the steering stem nut to 80 lb ft (110 Nm).

20150719_093925_zps5cqz5imn.jpg
16. Remove the single forward air box mount bolt and discard or save (you will not need this again unless reverting back to stock).
17. Using the kit supplied long bolt, screw the lower aft kit supplied GPR damper extension mount into the forward air box mount hole snug, but do not over tighten. If you need a torque it is 5.1 lb ft (7 Nm).

AirboxBolt_zpstukxsppx.jpg
18. Place the lower kit supplied GPR mount (“THIS SIDE UP”) onto the upper triple tree and place the handlebar mount stud through the GPR mount and through the upper triple tree. Thread the factory nut all the way down onto the stud, but do not tighten at this time (ensure handlebar mount is free to slightly rotate). Repeat for the other side.
19. Place the handlebars on to the handlebar mount to verify the mount orientation and snug the lower handlebar mount nuts, but do not torque at this time.
20. Install locktite on the two smaller GPR mount bolts.
21. Install the GPR damper onto the lower GPR mount while placing the nose piece into the GPR damper extension mount, and secure using the kit supplied shorter length bolts.

GPRMounts1_zps4rqhxxrm.jpg
22. No torque is given for these bolts, so make them snug, but do not over tighten.
23. My lower GPR mount pieces came assembled, if not, connect the pieces now and snug the bolts.
24. Position the handlebars on the handlebar mounts ensuring the dimple (small hole) is aligned with the lower aft portion of the left handlebar mount. (Ensure all control cables do not pinch or bind on anything).

HandlebarDimple1_zpsclzlazdc.jpg
25. Install the handlebar caps onto the handlebar mounts with bolts (2 each side). Torque the bolts (ensuring even cap spacing front to rear) 16 lb ft (22 Nm).
26. Torque the two lower handlebar mount nuts 29 lb ft (40 Nm).
27. Install the fuel tank trim piece using four quarter turn fasteners and two aft mount bolts snug.
28. Move handlebars from side to side ensure no binding and go ride.

Thanks for posting this!

• Premium Member
You are very welcome.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 1 year later...
Thanks for taking the time to post this tip!  saved me some heartache..  I tried getting them out with a vise and it didn't go well, i had re-thread the stud, but will try this now.  :)

Archived