2A for DC outlet?!?! What the heck! Please help.

On 6/13/2019 at 12:03 PM, pgeldz said:

Hi everyone, new on the forums here.  Just picked up a 2019 Tracer 900 GT.  I'll have to do an introduction thread soon, but in the meantime something in the manual caught my eye and wanted to run it past you all...

The DC outlet on the left side of the headlight...the manual says don't exceed  24W (2A).

Every time I find a decent charger for my phone and want to stay under the manuals limits, say a 18W charger, it's always over 2 Amps.

I don't want to be blowing fuses, so can you guys tell me what you have successfully plugged in for long distances without any issues?

I can't seem to fine any 2 Amp chargers worth buying.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Paul

Burned the fuse as soon as I connected my 40W heated vest. Replaced with 5A and all is OK.

I looked for some specs on fast chargers. It took a while to find one that gave a spec for the current in to the charger (they all show the current out of the charger) but finally came upon this one

https://www.amazon.com/CHGeek-Charger-Voltage-Waterproof-Motorcycle/dp/B07F835TCJ

Product Features:

1. Power input: DC 12V-24V, Max2.5A;

2. Power output: DC 3.6V-6.5V/3A, or DC6.5V- 9V/2.0A, DC9V-12V/1.5A; Max: 18W

I'd interpret that as 12V 2.5A (30W) from the DC outlet into the charger, and up to 12V 1.5A (18W) out of the charger.

The missing 12W is loss, dissipated as heat in the charger. These 18W chargers could suck more than 2A out of the port.

2A is rather low. I am thankful for this thread, which I happened to read last weekend, or I would have plugged in my 6A pump Tuesday night and blown the fuse!

Congrats on your Tracer, if you don't love everything about this bike message me and ill take it off your hands for you! 😉When I got my GT last year (first one in Washington state! 🥰) I blew the stock fuse before i got home with my phone plugged in (Samsung adaptive fast car charger) bought a fuse party pack and slapped a 5A fuse in there, and it hasn't been an issue since! I don't run heated gear or anything heavy duty, but I run a 4.5A dual USB outlet off it to run my phone and Gopro now. I agree with the others, battery tender pigtail off the battery is your safest bet for the compressor!

On 6/16/2019 at 5:19 PM, johnmark101 said:

plan on getting a Powerlet or something similar to connect directly to the battery so that I can plug in a portable compressor.  In the meantime can a phone be safely charged on the outlet near the headlamp?

I can't say do this. I haven't had any problems. I switched my 2Amp fuse for a 5 Amp fuse for both of my 12V power supplies. I run a Garmin on 1 and my iPhone on a 2.4mp quick charger on the other. AGAIN!!! I cannot recommend this but it is what I do. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Installed a Powerlet this evening.  It sits just in front of the left passenger peg bracket and is wired directly to the battery.  Has a 15 amp fuse.  Can be used to charge a cell phone, run a compressor or plug in a battery tender etc.  They are kind of pricey but pretty robust and well made.  Have one on my Ninja 1000 since 2013.  

IMG_2804.JPG

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On 6/13/2019 at 5:03 PM, pgeldz said:

The DC outlet on the left side of the headlight...the manual says don't exceed  24W (2A).

Every time I find a decent charger for my phone and want to stay under the manuals limits, say a 18W charger, it's always over 2 Amps.

I don't want to be blowing fuses, so can you guys tell me what you have successfully plugged in for long distances without any issues

You won't blow the fuse. I've just completed a 6000km trip to the UK. I had my phone plugged into a USB adapter in the 12v socket on the left of the dash. On the right I had installed a double USB socket in the empty space which had my iPhone 6 Plus plugged in on navigation duty. Both the right and left sockets we're rated at 2.1 plus amps. With the standard 2 amp fuses in the fusebox I never had a problem, even with the chargers going several hours each day.

Plug in, ride and relax.

CS

Edited by captainscarlet
Correction

4 hours ago, captainscarlet said:

You won't blow the fuse. I've just completed a 6000km trip to the UK. I had my phone plugged into a USB adapter in the 12v socket on the left of the dash. On the right I had installed a double USB socket in the empty space which had my iPhone 6 Plus plugged in on navigation duty. Both the right and left sockets we're rated at 2.1 plus amps. With the standard 2 amp fuses in the fusebox I never had a problem, even with the chargers going several hours each day.

Plug in, ride and relax.

CS

Awesome, thanks!

• Thumbsup 1

Aukey CC-T8 dual port charger but only use any 1 port at a time. up to 1.5A max for 1 port. therefore does not blow the fuse. awesome little device. fast charges my note 8 & s7 (which i double as a GPS).

• Thumbsup 1