Finally got one! Epic first ride, thoughts, and review! (long post)

Grats! I just ordered a MRA vario touring screen also.  Loving this bike.  Getting 50L (unless 2 helmets for in the 39 L, which I doubt) I just wish there was an all black version available. Now I gotta convince my wife to jump on,  I think the height is intimidating for her.  She used to jump on my shadow once in a while.  

• Thumbsup 1

Welcome @pgeldz... Nice to see that your loving the bike even after you have spent time on a built FZ-07R... 

Do you find that the FZ-07 and Tracer900 compliment each other? 

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, vincep said:

Congratulations.

Reference the 300 sales to the rental company - EagleRider are showing GTs available for rent - there goes the neighborhood.

What part of the country are these for rent?  I have always wanted to ride some of the Eastern States, Virginia, Carolina's, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee etc. but the nearly 6,000 miles just to get there and back and extensive vacation time kills that idea quickly.  If I could fly and ride, especially a newer GT, that idea might be worth considering for me and some buddies. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

21 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Welcome @pgeldz... Nice to see that your loving the bike even after you have spent time on a built FZ-07R... 

Do you find that the FZ-07 and Tracer900 compliment each other? 

I don't have a built FZ-07R, just my FZ-07 street bike with pipe and airfilter :)

I *am* building the motor in it now though...to race, but it's not finished yet.

Both bikes have their purpose.  The Tracer GT is really a great do all anything type of bike, and to have that in an easy to ride 2-up capable bike is just phenomenal :)

20 hours ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

Many people say the GT isn't a great 2-up bike.  Please give us your review and thoughts from your pillion about riding on the back.  Thanks and congrats!

Hmm, not sure why folks say that.  My GF was totally comfortable. She loved it!  And it's not like we just went for a quick spin...we did 800 miles in a day and a half!  Zero complaints from her.  In fact, when we got home, she wanted to go riding the very next day!

From my perspective, it didn't even feel like I had a passenger.  All I did was put more air in the tires like the manual says for the heavier load, and turn the preload up 7 clicks on the rear shock.  Load limit on this bike is 395 lbs, and in total, with side bags and top case we were like 330 lbs tops.

Bike handled great with all the luggage, even at speeds I can't publicly disclose, haha. 

Couldn't be happier!

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, betoney said:

What part of the country are these for rent?  I have always wanted to ride some of the Eastern States, Virginia, Carolina's, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee etc. but the nearly 6,000 miles just to get there and back and extensive vacation time kills that idea quickly.  If I could fly and ride, especially a newer GT, that idea might be worth considering for me and some buddies. 

The states you mentioned (especially North Carolina) have hundreds of miles of the best mountain roads in the country and it would be well worth the trip if you could fly and rent.  I would be living in NC right now if the wife would agree to the move!

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:54 AM, betoney said:

What part of the country are these for rent?   

I went to Eaglerider.com, mentioned above, and the Tracer 900 GT's are on the west coast. You can reserve a FJR out of Atlanta, GA. from them. You can easily do the east coast, north Ga. all thru the Smokies, Dragon, Cheroholla Skyway? spelling?, Moonshiners 28, 6-Gap, Green eyed snake,  Blue Ridge Parkway to Southern VA. and back. Now that's a bucket list kind of ride. And flying in and out of Atlanta should produce good airfares. Being a Hub for Delta and all. We're there all us ole Vmax Owner Assoc guys, the middle of September, LOL! Some of the guys still ride Vmaxes, Gen 1 and Gen2 Models. Plus lots of other fun stuff.

IMG_6900.JPG

IMG_6894.JPG

Edited by tktplz
pictures
  • Thumbsup 4

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

On 6/14/2019 at 5:33 PM, pgeldz said:

Hmm, not sure why folks say that.  My GF was totally comfortable. She loved it!  And it's not like we just went for a quick spin...we did 800 miles in a day and a half!  Zero complaints from her.  In fact, when we got home, she wanted to go riding the very next day!

From my perspective, it didn't even feel like I had a passenger.  All I did was put more air in the tires like the manual says for the heavier load, and turn the preload up 7 clicks on the rear shock.  Load limit on this bike is 395 lbs, and in total, with side bags and top case we were like 330 lbs tops.

Bike handled great with all the luggage, even at speeds I can't publicly disclose, haha. 

Couldn't be happier!

Totally agree. Don’t know who said it’s not great 2 up? Is it perfect?  No. But damn good. My wife is 120 pounds and rides there all the time. I use 7 clicks as well. She said it’s a dream compared to the FZ. 

21 minutes ago, krillz said:

Totally agree. Don’t know who said it’s not great 2 up? Is it perfect?  No. But damn good. My wife is 120 pounds and rides there all the time. I use 7 clicks as well. She said it’s a dream compared to the FZ. 

My GF weights about the same.  She really love it.  Plus, with the Yamaha 39L case and back rest, it was heaven for her.  She felt totally secure, and I didn't even notice her there, except when she was telling me to slow down on the twisties!  LOL!

:)

- Paul

Nice tale, pgeldz, nicely told.   The black-with-purble GT looks very tasty.   

I am tossing-up 'tween two new bikes, having just sold my 2015 Tracer, and here in Oz the only version available is the same as yours - I like it!   Except that in  a cheapskate move the Oz bikes have unpainted pannier lids, which IMHO cheapens the entire look.   I'm looking into SHAD SH36s...

PS - if I may, the GF also looks very nice - marry that gal!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.