Aftermarket chain adjusters

• Premium Member

I'm having the typical problem with my OEM chain adjusters because they are made from case hardened swiss cheese. I like the design of the Lightech adjusters, but they're $260 which seems a bit much. 

I found a vendor on Amazon named Waase that advertised a similar-looking adjuster for only $50 so I ordered those. Alas, they don't fit, not even close. The vendor gave me a prompt refund so I can't complain too hard. 

Any other options out there? Or do I need to just invest in the Lightechs?

(Note - please no eBay links. They pissed me off years ago and are on my poop list.)

• Supporting Member

Hey @keithu - I have the Gilles Tooling chain adjusters on my 2015 FJ.  They're beautifully made, easy to use, and (totally subjective) a bit more subtle than the Lightech design.   I highly recommend them.  

You said no eBay links, but how about an Amazon vendor?   You can google "Gilles Tooling FJ09 chain adjuster" and find several other supplier options.  

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

That looks like it would work. It's not as pretty as the Lightech, but it's half the price and only a chain adjuster after all.

Your ‘case hardened swiss cheese’ comment elicited a chuckle...  

Functionally, the Gilles Tooling adjusters work very well.  The initial install is a bit tedious as you screw the threaded adjusters into the swing arm, but once in place minor adjustments are quick & easy.  The machined recess for the axle head is a perfect fit, so no more concerns with the axle rotating and damaging the OEM swiss cheese spacer block. 

The visuals are obviously a personal preference thing.  The FJ is a pretty simple bike, so the more subtle look of the Gilles adjusters seems like a good match in my opinion.  

• Thumbsup 1