Hi from Oregon

jpdx

Hi All,
I have an '08 R1200GS and an '02 ZX-9R Ninja and looking to go back to one bike, and seriously considering the FJ-09. I won't get anything until late summer so in the meantime I'm interested to hear what everyone has to say about their FJ-09s. I've been riding for 12 years now and hope to for many more.
Cheers,James

Hi James
I have the fj and a zx6r. The fj is a great all around sport tour bike that I will use for trips and taking the wife out for a spin. Its fun but not as fun as the zx6r. The 6r has a lot more getup and go and you can really feel the power. If you are looking for and in between bike or a second bike to your kawi then I would say buy it. But if your looking for all out balls to the wall speed the fj may not cure your appetitate.

I'm not expecting the FJ to match my 900 Ninja for power. It won't, but it is a few pounds lighter so I am expecting decent handling/flickability.  I'll use it to commute too so most of my Ninja's power is useless in city traffic anyway.  I think the FJ puts out about 10 hp more than the GS at the rear wheel though.
J

James: Read the mag reports. They are all loving this bike and for good reasons. Most of us old timers with lots of bike experience are also loving it. I'm coming off a FJR and FZ-09 and have put 3700 miles on my FJ this year, 800 on the FJR and 2 on the FZ. If you love the GS you may find the FJ a step down, but only because it is a Yamaha and in your mind the BMW is suppose to be better, but in reality the Yamaha is a better bike and you will have more fun on it. JSNS. Welcome to the site.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Redfjniner,
Yes, I've been reading the mag articles on the FJ - mostly great!
I've been happy with the GS in many ways but it's not a good fit for commuting in traffic (being air cooled) and the cost of BMW ownership is "a step up".  The GS is a great bike, unique in many ways and lots of character but I don't think I'd be happy if it was the only bike in my garage.
jpdx

Archived