• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

I just rode an FJ for the first time. Comparison to the FZ09

Even though I own the FJ-09 Forums, I ride your bike's big brother, the FZ-09. A couple of people on here have dismissed my talk about this wonderful triple engine because I don't own an FJR. Well, for those of you who don't know, the FJ has the same engine, Gears, Frame, Wheels, exhaust, ETC ETC.

I enjoyed the test ride and noticed some differences.

1. Farkles, yes, the FJ has farkles. Bigger tank, better suspension, not alot better, but more dampening for sure.

2.The ABS, Traction control seems cool. Didn't really test it out.

3.Same brakes, which are ok but much improved with stainless brake lines.

4.It is slower. Now, I have done alot of work on my FZ, ECU reflash, Fuel controller, Exhaust. But I still remember the low end grunt/wheel popping power that it had when stock, and the FJ-09 has got to be detuned a bit. Maybe even more than a bit. They did more than just wipe out the top speed.

5.Has the same whirring gear noise in 3rd and 6th gears as my FZ-09. You get used to it.

6.Great instrument panel, better than the FZ-09 little panel.

7.Smoother fueling on the FJ, much smoother.

8.Love the handwarmers.

9. Neat little windshield actually does a pretty good job. I could live with that considering the tiny little Puig shield that I currently sit behind.

Great bike, Loved riding it. Loved being a little bit taller up, but hated the handguards. First thing I will do when I sell my FZ-09 and buy a used FJ-09 from one of you will be to toss those handguards away and also send the ECU off to get reflashed.

But then again, maybe better MPG would be a good thing? Maybe, but those handguards have got to go. Useless.

I think hand guards are a good thing on a dirt bike thrashing through the woods. They don't belong on a street bike. The hand guards and the stupid looking tail light/ turn signal bracket have to go. That said I don't own a FJ 09 yet either. I have drooled on and sat on them at the dealers. I have high hopes Yamaha will add cruise control next year and I will be first in line to buy one if this happens and Emailed Yamaha pleading for cruise control. In the mean time I continue to ride the grandfather of the fj 09 my 1984 FJ1100. Lighter with alot more leg room on the fj 09. Just my 2 cents worth.

I think hand guards are a good thing on a dirt bike thrashing through the woods. They don't belong on a street bike. The hand guards and the stupid looking tail light/ turn signal bracket have to go. That said I don't own a FJ 09 yet either. I have drooled on and sat on them at the dealers. I have high hopes Yamaha will add cruise control next year and I will be first in line to buy one if this happens and Emailed Yamaha pleading for cruise control. In the mean time I continue to ride the grandfather of the fj 09 my 1984 FJ1100. More leg room on the fj 09. Just my 2 cents worth.
I put hand guards on my F650, R1100R and my FJR 1300abs.  Lots of Sport Touring folks love hand guards and figure them as necessary standard equipment, so I believe that Yamaha is just responding to what is being done in the real world.  Besides bushes they also help deflect the wind, rocks and hail.  On a number of occasions I have gone through hail storms and wished I had had the hand guards.  With the wind deflection, it takes a little longer for the rain to soak into the wp gloves.  I like them, but favor mitts in the winter.  I am with you on the cruise control, I wish Yamaha makes a kit to convert my 2015.  Welcome to the site.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Even though I own the FJ-09 Forums, I ride your bike's big brother, the FZ-09. A couple of people on here have dismissed my talk about this wonderful triple engine because I don't own an FJR.  Not ;) 
Great bike, Loved riding it. Loved being a little bit taller up, but hated the handguards. First thing I will do when I sell my FZ-09 and buy a used FJ-09 from one of you will be to toss those handguards away and also send the ECU off to get reflashed.

But then again, maybe better MPG would be a good thing? Maybe, but those handguards have got to go. Useless.
Being that I still have my FZ in the garage and once in a while will take it around the block, I too have noticed the difference in the tune and throttle response.  The FJ is way slower, smoother, more enjoyable as a touring machine, but doesn't get any better fuel economy.  Matter of fact, I have to work at getting as good of economy, as I did on the FZ when I was taking it easy. 
On the FZ, I got these mpg while touring:  53.81, 56.09, 50.60, 57.82, 53.57, 51.55, 56.76, 50.05.  Those all came after I had put 2500 miles on the bike, so they occurred in the last 3,000 miles.  I only listed the ones over 50 and I never got over 50 before 2500 miles and the reflash.  With the FJ, I just got my first 50.51mpg tank at 3,600 miles this past weekend.

Thanks for bringing this up Cruizin, as I hadn't done that evaluation before.  The reflash is going to be in my sights if I can get that much better fuel economy and speed, but mostly economy.  I would like to know if the FZ ECU will work on the FJ????

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
They're not hand guards, they're wind deflectors. I'll leave mine on as I tend to do a lot of long-distance touring, sometimes in pretty cold conditions. Anything I can do to reduce the arctic blast on my hands will be an appreciated improvement. I have the heated grips as well.

• Premium Member
They're not hand guards, they're wind deflectors. I'll leave mine on as I tend to do a lot of long-distance touring, sometimes in pretty cold conditions. Anything I can do to reduce the arctic blast on my hands will be an appreciated improvement. I have the heated grips as well.
Yes, I imagine they are there for a purpose, perhaps to improve the aerodynamics which is obviously an issue or Yamaha would not speed restrict the US bikes due to the fear of litigation. We have already had feedback from some owners about the bike being a bit twitchy at speed so removing the air deflectors may improve the aesthetics but have a negative effect on handling. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I think this idea of 'twitchy at speed' and a need to 'improve the aerodynamics' may be starting to look like false, early rumors.  The reality is that so far, the only people who know why the bike is so severely restricted in the USA aren't telling their reasoning behind the neutering of the ECU.  And there is video of the bike doing 225 kph, and it looks pretty darned steady and smooth. Blame the lawyers.

Cruizin, I imagine the FJ feels less raw and powerful more because of the extra 50ish pounds it weighs and not so much power output. That's a coniderable power to weight ratio difference. My dyno plot looks pretty much spot on what an FZ does. The throttle mapping below WOT must certainly reshape the power delivery a bunch though.
Glad you got to ride one. Good to have your first impressions. I've only had a few very short rides on mine, but I'm loving it!

2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Archived